N. Korea's Kim aims rockets at DC, LA, Hawaii and Austin

Guest HvyMtl

First, their technology seems lacking. Doubt they could hit Guam. 

Second, this smacks of an internal power struggle, and the new kid wants to look strong to "his" people.

Third, whenever the U.S. and South Korea do their annual military exercises, the North Koreans saber rattle in response.

Fourth, whenever North Korea desparately needs something, they push their nuke, or missle, or attack capability.  In response, the world placates them, by sending food.

Fifth, the Chinese are in a different position, politically, and economically, than in previous years.  NK may start becoming a major political/economical headache for China.  Keep damaging this, and China may respond in a manner unexpected by the NK.

I realize a lot has changed since the 50's but the North Koreans were no pushovers. They killed over 36,000 of our troops.

I know our weapons are far more superior but let's not underestimate their potential. 

Agreed! No one should be underestimated. Just look at what some idiots hijacking some jets did on 9/11/01 & how that changed the lives of everyone in the United States! That was more than 12 years ago & we still haven't recovered & we never will completely! The hijacker's attack on NYC & DC accomplished everything they set out to do. Who knows what "crazy-Kim" could do with his nukes?

It's been the dream of Kim IL Sung and Kim Jung IL to "Dine in Seoul" as they used to say, now little chubby Kim Jung Lardazz is dreaming too. He's actualy playing a very dangerous game. Here's why: In the past, (several times) he has fired artillery on S. Korean islands, and has basically got away with it. Now, should he fire on them again, no one is going to wait to see how many shells fall...because the "wrath of God" is going to be unleashed on NK from SK, US and the UN. It will be over for NK!!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

If an all-out war were to break out, North Korea knows they will lose. The problem is, even if the U.S. decided to completely annihilate NK's military, it could take days. NK could quite easily cause a whole lot of damage and death in those few days, especially where Seoul and parts of the U.S. are concerned. Although casualties are part of war, I don't think it's a good idea to underestimate the level of havoc NK can cause in a fairly short amount of time. 

I'm more concerned with the response of any action by the US by russia & china. They've been rather chummy lately trying to build alliances & they've been blocking the UN Security council for years. Russia has been a boisterous towards us the past 18 months and China is facing some significant economic hurdles in the foreseeable 5-10 years and has them exploring previously untapped avenues for sustainability.<br /><br />Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I'm more concerned with the response of any action by the US by russia & china. They've been rather chummy lately trying to build alliances & they've been blocking the UN Security council for years. Russia has been a boisterous towards us the past 18 months and China is facing some significant economic hurdles in the foreseeable 5-10 years and has them exploring previously untapped avenues for sustainability.<br /><br />Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Do you realize that if you combine the military spending of China and Russia, then multiplied that by 3, you still have less than what the U.S. spends? We are still the most technologically advanced and most powerful military on earth. We should never underestimate anyone, but direct focused, intense, and overwhelming power towards any enemy. We have become lazy since the end of the cold war. Maybe the old "Iron sharpens Iron" saying has merit....

Delete Tapatalk from your mobile device, then reinstall.

I realize a lot has changed since the 50's but the North Koreans were no pushovers. They killed over 36,000 of our troops.

I know our weapons are far more superior but let's not underestimate their potential. 

Not just the potential, but the terrain also hinders our technology.  We joke about them not being able to reach anything outside the range of a remote control helicopter, but if a full-scale war breaks out there, millions of people will die in the process.  It's not going to be like the sandbox where a couple thousand people lose their lives and a few billion $ in equipment.

Other than here on the homeland, that is the absolute last place I would ever want to see us go to war at.  

• Like 1

Well, the good news is that the gooks don't hide in caves like the sand people do. I would think that it would be much easier to take Kim Jong Puke out with some smart bomb/drone technology.

He's asking for it; let's give it to him.

They were being backed by the Chinese, had morale and food. They have none of that now. Armies perform on morale and chow. Just ask Saddam's elite Army and Republican Guard..... "5th largest army in the world blah blah blah...."
  • Like 1

I think what will happen is "The Supreme Leader" will wheel and deal for food and a few Bud Lights and will start standing down his military as he gets what he wants. The people in North Korea know nothing other than what state run TV and radio want them to know. No internet, No cell phones, no public TV..nothing. Kim has nothing to lose right now. He has to do something. His people are not going to take being starved any more. Kim has to fight now, because if he backs down now without any gains, he loses face, and then faces an internal coup. In my opinion, that's whats coming, and the atrocities brought onto his people will have never been seen before! NK executes their people when caught with a cell phone from china. A coup, and the crimes committed on his people will bring the UN in anyways. Therefore Kimmy has nothing to lose by going to war! He calls South Koreans puppets. He has millions of them in North Korea...they'll wake up some day.

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

They were being backed by the Chinese, had morale and food. They have none of that now. Armies perform on morale and chow. Just ask Saddam's elite Army and Republican Guard..... "5th largest army in the world blah blah blah...."

This is true. Just curious, any chance Chine would help them again with supplies and what not? I could see that happening.

I just read North Korea has over 1 million men in their military.

China probably has so much military staged on their border with North Korea right now it's not even funny. China does not want US troops occupying a border next them I.E..US troops occupying NK. They will not let that happen! Draw your own conclusions on China's actions.

Dave S

This is true. Just curious, any chance Chine would help them again with supplies and what not? I could see that happening.

I just read North Korea has over 1 million men in their military.

Yes. Men and Women. Frontline troops! One of their infantry tactics is mass wave attacks of suicide troops! ugly ugly ugly

Dave S

China probably has so much military staged on their border with North Korea right now it's not even funny. China does not want US troops occupying a border next them I.E..US troops occupying NK. They will not let that happen! Draw your own conclusions on China's actions.

Dave S

China will not take action against us. I expect it will be China that ends this non-sense before any missiles are launched. I would also guess that China and U.S. leaders are having talks right now.

• Like 1
Our enemies see an advantage with this current weak on defense administration, with our nation's economic problems & with how depleted our forces are after fighting a large, long, drawn out insurgency in Iraq & Afganistan for the last decade +.

Now is a good time for them to act, especially if NK & Iran acted together.
  • Like 1

China will not take action against us. I expect it will be China that ends this non-sense before any missiles are launched. I would also guess that China and U.S. leaders are having talks right now.

That's a very good possibilty. NK will listen to China. However, the old members of the NK army still has relatives in SK and sure would like being reunited with them. Who knows where this thing is going to go.

Dave S

Guest 6.8 AR

China uses N.Korea for plausible deniability for a lot of stuff. China may speak out for peace because of it's

economic position in the world, but that doesn't mean trust them. China has it's own problems that are much

more complicated than ours or just about anyone else in the world. Most of it has to do with population.

I think they would end up backing N.Korea somewhere in the future. If N.Korea headed into S.Korea, China might

start taking over Japanese territory. Something like that could spark another World War. They also appear to

be making nice with some real bad players of current world events, like Iran. A lot of things could go wrong real

fast over there. And Hagel is the wrong SecDef to be in charge of the military.

Personally I think it was pretty stupid to provoke NK by running our B2s there in the first place. Why start some crap in the region. I don't think NK had any doubt what we are capable of. Why poke the hornets nest? Now we might have to kill a bunch of people so we can say nana nana boo boo we got cool planes?
  • Like 1