Big Anniversary Sunday- Anyone Notice?

I may have just missed seeing any reports yesterday but did you know that 7/20/2008 was the 39th anniversary of the first man on the moon. That was an enormus feat! Yes, I believe that is was real and not fake.

The thing that I wonder is, what if President Kennedy would have also challenged, in addition to the moon landing, the country to develope an alternative energy source for transportation. His speech was in 1961 and we were on the moon in 8 years. We might have cars getting 100 MPG now. Who would have thought that we would be in the situation that we are in now in 1961? For all of the advances in tecnology since then we sure seem to be going backwards in a lot of areas. I sure hope the good ole USA can survive.

:usa:GOD BLESS AMERICA!!:up:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We might have cars getting 100 MPG now. Who would have thought that we would be in the situation that we are in now in

That technology existed in the 70's alledgedly. The story is that several inventor types came up with ways to make this happen but the patents or technology were bought up by auto makers and gasoline companies.

as for the moon landing I suspect next year may be more talked about as it is 40 years. If it ends in a zero it is a bigger deal ,yanno?

Moon landing? I was at a forward assault base in Vietnam at the time.

I wonder why no one ever references those 100mpg patents? You can search online these days. :up:

But if we had done something during the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973, we would have been energy independent 25 years ago. :D

Moon landing? I was at a forward assault base in Vietnam at the time.

Hey Mars,

Thank you for being there for me!!B)

I was 12 at the time of the moon landing. One of the things that I regret in my life is not serving in the military! They stopped registering for the draft the month before I was going to have to. I don't know if you were drafted or volunteered but it doesn't matter. You fought so that we can all live the lives that we live here today. I salute you sir!! (and all of you others that are reading this also)

The name "Chappaquiddick" ring a bell?

Yeah, that rings a bell. It's a shame that Teddy didn't go down with his ship.

I didn't remember what the date was for that episode.

I don't know if you were drafted or volunteered but it doesn't matter.

I was asked to volunteer. I was actually draft-proof at the time. I was a little skinny thing back then 7 pounds under the minimum weight to be drafted plus I had all sorts of deferments. But I had certain specific electronic and munitions skills, so they asked me to go. Long story.

Teddy lucked out. The moon landing pushed his story back a few pages. He half-heatedly offered to resign and everyone forgot about him.

If Teddy is such a gentleman why did it take him so long to open the door for that young girl?

I heard it took him several tries to pass the bar and then I thought, Teddy has never passed a bar in his life.

As to the moon landing, I decided this weekend I was going to make sure that my kids see a shuttle lift off while we still have one.