I got to thinking BP for defense

I know it can be dangerous but I got to thinking about this.

In states where firearms, handguns specifically, are not allowed why not do this. Use a modern design such as DA/SA and make it a muzzle loader. Make the cylinders easily replaceable so you can reload like using a speed loader. You would be able to fire 6 shots then swing the cylinder out, drop the empty cylinder then replace it with another loaded cylinder.

Chamfer the cylinder to make loading modern jacketed bullets easier.

The cylinders would be muzzle loading cylinders so technically it would be a muzzle loading handgun and not regulated.

Make it stainless so it can use smokless powder or blackpowder. Have a primer pocket in the cylinder to use modern primers.

Just some ramblings.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what New York State has to say about BP revolvers.  New Jersey law is similiar.  Don't know about other anti states.

Are antique handguns subject to the same laws as those applied to modern handguns?

The Penal Law definition of antique firearm is generally applied to muzzle loading black powder firearms, but also applies to pistols or revolvers "that use fixed cartridges which are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade".

Muzzle loading pistols or revolvers do not have to be registered on a pistol permit if the owner never intends to fire them.

If they are possessed in a loaded condition or are simply possessed simultaneously with the components necessary to make them fire, they must first be registered on a valid pistol permit.

Note: Should a manufacturer begin to produce ammunition for a pistol or revolver for which ammunition had not been available previously, that weapon no longer meets the criteria of an antique weapon and is required to be registered. A pistol or revolver, regardless of age, when possessed with the ammunition necessary to make it discharge, is required to be registered.

I think you could do it very easily with an old top-break designed revolver.  File off the lip that holds the cylinder in place and when you open it *should* throw out the cylinder (instead of operating the ejection device), replace, shut, and shoot?

And I have seriously (and still am) considered doing this to a top break 38 special (replica, of course, the old ones only come in 38 S&W).

I know it can be dangerous but I got to thinking about this.

In states where firearms, handguns specifically, are not allowed why not do this.

Where are handguns not allowed, assuming one is not prohibited from ownership for other reasons?

Even though the TN AG has opined that felons and etc. who are forbidden from owning firearms may own black powder firearms in TN as per federal law, they still meet the state definition for both firearm and handgun, so surely you couldn't carry one without a permit. I'd bet that most states that require permit would have similar restriction, dunno for sure though. Maybe there are states that allow unlicensed open carry where a prohibited person could carry a black powder pistol according to technicalities in their laws, but kind of doubt it really.

Only niche I can see is for prohibited persons to be able to keep one on own property in TN, and likely other states.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot