I Need Help Identifying a Handgun

Guest LittleBear571

Guest LittleBear571
I'm going to my Grandfather's house tomorrow to look at a pistol a man gave him many years ago as payment for some carpentry work he did for him (he built gun rack walls in this mans home for his extensive collection) The man gave it to him in a padded case, and told him it was "the only one like it this side of the Mississippi" I believe he told me its a colt brand. it is semi automatic, and is 22 caliber. If my memory serves me correctly, it resembles a 1911, but is not a 1911. Any ideas what it may be? I will post pictures and more details tomorrow when I see it. I remember trying to look it up a few years back, and getting back no leads on the internet at all. Making me think the gun may be really rare after all. Unfortunately, the man he got it from died and took with him all the information about the gun that may be useful to me in my search. The gun has never even been loaded.

I figure someone on here will know something about it, and keep me from having to take it somewhere.

Thanks in advance! I'll post more pics and details tomorrow! Edited by LittleBear571
Guest LittleBear571

Does it look like any of these?
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_rn=7&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=fast+reloading+re&pq=fast+reloading+revolver&cp=8&gs_id=8g&xhr=t&q=colt+ace&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.eWU&biw=1280&bih=649&wrapid=tljp1364297776478314&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=jolRUdKIJ5La8ASSi4DQDA

It looks ALOT like that. I believe that may be it. I'll be going over there around 3:30 when I wake up and will post pics and more details then. Thanks guys. Right now I'm going to bed. (12 hour night shifts)
Guest LittleBear571

Well after going and looking and refreshing my memory, it's not a colt ace. Its an old colt match target 22. It does not resemble a 1911 lol. It has the mag release on the bottom, its not push button. It has a longer barrel then most other match targets. Im unsure on the year. And has never been fired and no bullets have ever been loaded in the magazine. Here's a picture.
IMG_20130326_160717_399_zpscc5261e8.jpg
I have the serial number to look up the year.

Depending on the year and series it could be worth 900 +new unfired. Just depends on several things. Could be worth 500. Can u post some more info ?
Year etc? I would say its a very very nice woodsmen. I think you have your hands on a very nice firearm there. Edited by Krull

Depending on the year and series it could be worth 900 +new unfired. Just depends on several things. Could be worth 500. Can u post some more info ?
Year etc? I would say its a very very nice woodsmen. I think you have your hands on a very nice firearm there.

You might add a few bills to that figure if it's really mint/unfired. No doubt somone threw the box away. It is worth a considerable sun as well.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

He told you wrong about it being the only one this side of the Mississippi. My ole pappy pulls his out for target practice every now and then. They're not at all uncommon, but as most Colts as of late, command a good price. It is a top shelf target pistol.

• Like 1
Guest LittleBear571

He told you wrong about it being the only one this side of the Mississippi. My ole pappy pulls his out for target practice every now and then. They're not at all uncommon, but as most Colts as of late, command a good price. It is a top shelf target pistol.

from what I understand, the ones made in the 70's are fairly common. And the 4" barrel on these are common. This is an earlier piece with the extended barrel. Which from what I understand is pretty rare? I believe I'm going to get the Colt archive papers on it if its fairly inexpensive to do. Edited by LittleBear571
Guest LittleBear571

I would refrain from firing high velocity ammo in it, if I just had to shoot it, and would shoot only standard velocity target loads.

Its not mine, and he's definitely not gonna shoot it haha. I future if its gone 60+ years without getting fired that's a feat. He's thinking about selling it though.