Here's my storage dilemma...

Guest Nunya

Guest Nunya

I have a gun locker and a few inconspicuous hiding places where I keep the "good stuff".  But I finally got a display case in a trade and have a few long guns in it.  If someone were to break in and try to clean me out, that's all that would be obvious to them and I wouldn't be "gun-poor".  So, it's a display and a diversion.

I think I recall a thread a while back about someone running a cable through their flimsy display cabinet and padlocking their long-guns through the floor or wall.  If not and I dreamed that up, here's my idea.  Drill holes through the back or bottom to allow me to run a cable through the floor or wall. Pass the cable through each trigger guard, then use the baddest padlock I can find. 

Thoughts?

1e7d72e4-70f5-4161-9b5a-6c8007391522_zps

I love the visual display of glass gun cases, but they are not for me. From security to fire risk to neon signs when visitors are over, they are just not me. I would think those plastic coated wire cables you can buy at Home Depot is what you need for smash and grab deterrant, however a good set of linesmen pliers can cut through that in <2 seconds.

• Like 1
Just make sure that they are insured & kick back, relax & enjoy displaying them in a good looking case.

I wouldn't put any high dollar or family heirloom firearms in it just to be on the cautious side, but I see no reason not to display a few easily replaceable firearms in a case like that.

Gun displays went away as the country was going to hell. I'm old school. Gun rack in the truck, gun rack on the wall, and if you can afford it, a gun cabinet with some glass. All my guns are crammed in a safe. It looks OK, but there are no windows.

Guest Nunya

You still have some guns left? ;)

- OS

Funny you would say that. My son has been bugging me for years to know exactly how many we have. I let him help me make sure I had all the serial numbers recorded tonight and let him count them.
Guest Nunya

You still have some guns left? ;)

- OS

Funny you would say that. My son has been bugging me for years to know exactly how many we have. I let him help me make sure I had all the serial numbers recorded tonight and let him count them.
Guest Broomhead

I would get the thickest plastic-coated steel cable that you can find and have at it. Or even uncoated cable for that matter, it's not like the cable is going to be tight and/or rubbing against the rifles, since they are completely stationary. Master sells some freaking huge keyed locks that would work, but honestly a smaller keyed or combo lock would do just as good. I have an awesome combo lock that uses a pattern of the directions in which you move/push a knob/button.

Here it is:

http://www.masterlockitup.com/products/product_details/1500iD

Remember the cable will only stop the smash and grab, and kids. Assuming of course the smash and grabbers have no linesmen pliers or the homeowner has none in his toolbox. I often wonder if my own tools in the garage could be used against me, I have large pry bars, many large cable cutters, sawalls, gas torches, etc.

i would get a cable and run it through the trigger guard, down to the bottom of the case to the floor along with a good size key lock.   fix a way where the case and guns are lock to the floor/wall.  that way they can not pickup the case with guns and load it into the back of a truck.   this will slow down 99% of the "pill billy", but not the 1% professional that has the correct tools for stealing things.  it they want it they will get it.  

Just make sure that they are insured & kick back, relax & enjoy displaying them in a good looking case.

I wouldn't put any high dollar or family heirloom firearms in it just to be on the cautious side, but I see no reason not to display a few easily replaceable firearms in a case like that.

Assuming there's nothing particularly special in there, I'd do the above.  A big cable and lock is smash & grab protection, but my guess is the smash & grabber won't notice the cable until they're in the middle of the grab phase.  My guess is they'll be annoyed at their discovery and the guns will get plenty beat up because of it. 

Guest Nunya

Assuming there's nothing particularly special in there, I'd do the above.  A big cable and lock is smash & grab protection, but my guess is the smash & grabber won't notice the cable until they're in the middle of the grab phase.  My guess is they'll be annoyed at their discovery and the guns will get plenty beat up because of it. 

This is precisely what I expect the 99% to do.  Hope I never find out.  

But, I would much rather have six beat up rifles and broken glass than to spend weeks trolling pawn shops to (maybe) get my stuff back.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
The idea might work to deter some smash and grab amatuer or kid on a gang initiation I guess, but not a pro by any means. At the very most it would keep any kids in the house from unwanted fondeling. Its a beautiful cabinet and pleasr take no offense but as a firefighter with BASIC handtools, I could probably get through anything you throw at me in that cabinet.
Guest Nunya

take no offense but as a firefighter with BASIC handtools, I could probably get through anything you throw at me in that cabinet.

None taken.  I did a stint as a firefighter myself.  I doubt the hoodlums that plague my neighborhood from time to time are as smart or as well-equipped as you or me.

Edited by bentonbjones
Guest Pineapple Devil

Are you willing to take that chance and risk having your guns stolen and end up on the streets? Be a responsible gun owner and get a safe. Even if you secure them with a chain it isn't really secure.

Edited by Pineapple Devil