Some upcoming academic research on gun violence - good news?

I am attending the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences Annual Meeting in Dallas this week and I attended a panel today on school shootings and public policy.  Of the five papers presented, none suggested that more gun control was needed, and most confirmed what most gun owners already know, which is that the school shootings were not and cannot be prevented through gun control legislation.  I went with data in hand prepared for a fight, and I left in a state of disbelief that there were not people pounding the podium demanding bans of "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines.  There were a few inaccuracies about exactly what previously adopted gun control laws did (like one statement that the 1994 AWB banned all "semi-automatic weapons" and high-capacity "clips"), but I generally found that their representation of existing gun laws was generally fair and accurate.  I sensed that one presenter was for gun control, but there was no clear statement in their presentation stating such, nor did she make any statements related to other people's research that included the suggestion that we should allow students and faculty with carry permits to possess firearms on college campuses.  Perhaps the tide is turning a little bit for a change.

• Like 1

Sounds like a well informed group of intelligent people.  Which is the exact opposite of the Liberal politician of today.  (In my humble opinion of course)

Thank you very much for going armed with facts in case they were needed. :up:

Interesting. It must be nice to hear good clean presentations and debate from both sides. I'd enjoy some more posts while you are there if you have time.

I'm flying out tomorrow and this was the only panel on gun violence I saw.  Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the rational discussion.  One person talked about the media hype surrounding mass shootings and the lousy gun policies politicians try to pass (that one even cited Gary Kleck).  Another discussed the policy implications of trying to control firearms on college campuses and talked about how campuses are some of the softest targets in our society and some of the most difficult to effectively police, thus suggesting that allowing CCW holders to carry would be an easy way to provide some level of security.  Another looked at the factors that influenced whether high school students were willing to report another student for possessing a gun or knife on school property.  The policy implications on that one were stated to be completely based on improving the school environment and specifically excluded the need for broad legislative policy changes related to guns.  And my favorite looked at how media reports of mass shootings influence public fear of being a victim of a mass shooting. Funny thing is that their survey data showed that those who described themselves as Democrats were more likely to have an irrational fear of gun crime and demand more gun control policy.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
I think the media blitz on gun control in the wake of Sandy Hook had the opposite effect on the general public than the liberals intended. Of course, liberal gun grabbers will never, ever attempt to educate themselves on gun violence and look at solutions objectively, since their goals have nothing to do with reducing violence. They just want to disarm the law abiding public.

I think the media blitz forced otherwise ignorant people to seek out information, and with very basic research anyone can see that gun laws do no deter criminals, nor is violence with standard capacity military style rifles a common occurrence despite the media's representation otherwise. I think many middle of the road Americans recognized that the media was misleading them with bogus and misleading facts and that is why all this gun control nonsense has lost steam. Not to say that it won't happen again if there is another mass shooting, but we should take note that when the dust settles and folks have a chance to think critically, we will win the argument.

I was a little surprised as well, but I guess I am not quite as optimistic. I was interested in the first presentations that detailed some demographic information on school shooters. Most of it confirmed things that we had actually bee discussing early on in the day, however the information about attitudes especially after the shootings were pretty interesting, especially since we often do not get to ask about that (ie) the shooter is killed during the event.

Of course I am rather pessimistic anymore in general when it comes to people being rational when it comes to their liberty.

I was a little surprised as well, but I guess I am not quite as optimistic. I was interested in the first presentations that detailed some demographic information on school shooters. Most of it confirmed things that we had actually bee discussing early on in the day, however the information about attitudes especially after the shootings were pretty interesting, especially since we often do not get to ask about that (ie) the shooter is killed during the event.

Of course I am rather pessimistic anymore in general when it comes to people being rational when it comes to their liberty.

Yes, but like I said, when you have five presentations to a room full of 30+ academic types, and not one word is uttered about the need for more gun control, magazine bans, etc., chalk that up as a positive sign. Tack on the suggestion that concealed carry on college campuses may be a viable policy option, and not one person objected verbally, that is a stunner.
  • Like 1
Some upcoming academic research on gun violence - good news?

I'm afraid you are working on a false premise - that anything in the current assault on gun right is driven by data, logic or facts in general.  The anti-gun movement's agenda is ideologically driven, and the proponents of that movement will ignore any new research in the same way as they have dismissed previous attempts to interject actual facts into the debate.

Were any of the presenters health care professionals?

I'd wager the only reports that are going to matter is whatever rubbish the CDC puts out now that they have a renewed mandate to study the "problem".

Edited by Garufa
Ok, forget I said anything at all. When academics do research that they say supports gun control, people call them communists who are driving policies of those out to get our guns. When you hear about academic research that is the opposite, it's irrelevant. Whatever. Fine. Obama, DHS, FEMA, the UN, and liberals are coming to get you guns and nothing else in the world matters. You feel better? I'm getting very tired of even trying to inform people of anything. You folks are right, I suppose. No sense passing this info along to other gun owners to share and educate those riding he fence. Public opinion doesn't matter, so I guess the reason the AWB was dropped in the Senate was really a diversionary tactic so that Obama can use all the hollow point pistol ammo to wage martial law and start gun confiscations. Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1

Hold on there.  I am excited to learn of what you heard. 

If and when the CDC comes out with similar findings I'll be thoroughly estatic but not holding my breath.  I also believe their reports are going to be widely publicised and twisted to justify continued assualts on gun owners and out current "rights".

Was anything said about recognizing a potential killer during their school years? I've been wondering if that profile could been seen early.

Come on man. You know as we'll as I do that there are extremes on both sides. This bee hive leans way right. You just gotta laugh and keep doing what your doing. You bring great debate here. Edited by LowBb

Ok, forget I said anything at all. When academics do research that they say supports gun control, people call them communists who are driving policies of those out to get our guns. When you hear about academic research that is the opposite, it's irrelevant. Whatever. Fine. Obama, DHS, FEMA, the UN, and liberals are coming to get you guns and nothing else in the world matters. You feel better? I'm getting very tired of even trying to inform people of anything. You folks are right, I suppose. No sense passing this info along to other gun owners to share and educate those riding he fence. Public opinion doesn't matter, so I guess the reason the AWB was dropped in the Senate was really a diversionary tactic so that Obama can use all the hollow point pistol ammo to wage martial law and start gun confiscations.

I for one, and I know there are others, want to be informed. Information that you are able to present is very valuable to us all. You are a valuable asset to this forum.  Don't let any naysayers shut you down. It's easy for any of us to get caught up in the emotion of the times and the struggle we are up against. Just remember that there are some on this forum that click on every post we see you have made.

• Like 1

I for one, and I know there are others, want to be informed. Information that you are able to present is very valuable to us all. You are a valuable asset to this forum.  Don't let any naysayers shut you down. It's easy for any of us to get caught up in the emotion of the times and the struggle we are up against. Just remember that there are some on this forum that click on every post we see you have made.

What he said.

Personally it's very refreshing to read the posts of someone who is neither fear mongering nor a victim of such. Keep up the good work.

Haters gotta hate.
I agree it was heartening and not as we talked a series of fist on the table we must get all guns off the street commentary. Especially for the two at the beginning. I have been thinking about the other presenter and I am not sure. I almost asked her as I saw her the yesterday just to find out. <br /><br />Overall I am glad for the debate as opposed to demands. That I did find to be a good turn of events. <br /><br />I think I am going to request the presentation from the beginning to look at that again.