sks or saiga 223 as a plinker?

Guest NormShaver

Guest NormShaver

i am thinking about getting a saiga 223 or maybe an sks as just a plinker. i really i have need to invest a lot of money in either as they would be a plinker as far as price the sks would be cheaper, but what from i have read heard the saiga is a great rifle for the money.

thanks for any help!

Norm

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Saiga you will be a lot happier as they are more versatile and seem to be going up in value lately.

+1. Plus you can always take it to full AK fair as money and time presents itself. Also, it is starting to look like the Saiga's (of all calibres) ar going to continually rise in price as more and more people find out about them. I'm amazed at what x39 Saiga's are going for now. More than $100 than last year, if you can find them.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Id choose the SKS out of the two options listed based primarily on ammo price. If a 7.62 Saiga is an option...that is the route I would go.

Guest NormShaver
Id choose the SKS out of the two options listed based primarily on ammo price. If a 7.62 Saiga is an option...that is the route I would go.

that was not party of my decision making but it is now thanks for all the help guys.

Guest NormShaver
Yeah, 7.62 is cheaper than .223 for the time being.

ya, makes you want to get into reloading until you find out how much all that costs

Guest bkelm18
ya, makes you want to get into reloading until you find out how much all that costs

The startup costs are high but once you really get into it it'll eventually pay for itself. A lot of people don't do it for the savings, but do it as another aspect of the hobby. If I could afford all the gear I would go for it.

Guest NormShaver

i would really like to get into the reloading, but i would like someone to watch over me like a hawk. i just don't have the mindset to be that meticulous about things like that i think i would want to rush rush rush, maybe later in life that can be something i could enjoy (hopefully later in life we will all still have something to reload.)

Edited by NormShaver
can

You could buy ALL of the reloading gear and produce 250 rounds for under $200 with .223

NormShaver...pick up a reloading manual for 10-15 bucks. It will tell you everything you need to know. It is VERY easy to do and all the hard work (powder testing, pressure, etc) has already been done.

/And it would be just as good as Factory

//and the next 250 would be MUCH cheaper.

///Single stage setup (Lee Anniversery kit) is always recommended for beginners.

Edited by I_Like_Pie

If I had room I might look into reloading but as of right now I just dont have the room for it....If I actually sell my Supra(something I have been considerin) I might have room to set it up in the Garage since there is a workbench out there(currently covered in Supra parts).

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
extra wordiness
Guest NormShaver
You just wanna plink with it? Get a WASR.

ya, i have several .22's to plink with but am wanting something else had an itch you could say i will have to look in the WASR don't know anything about them

Guest NormShaver
If I had room I might look into reloading but as of right now I just dont have the room for it....If I actually sell my Supra(something I have been considerin) I might have room to set it up in the Garage since there is a workbench out there(currently covered in Supra parts).

if you do sell and get into reloading and since you leave knoxville i would love to learn/watch for you.

ya, i have several .22's to plink with but am wanting something else had an itch you could say i will have to look in the WASR don't know anything about them

WASR's are your basic, cheap, "starter" AK. Some of them come in screwed up and it helps to be able to hand pick one. I really wouldn't buy one sight-unseen.

But for under $400, it's a bargin for an AK. They come ugly. Here's mine out of the box:

ak2.jpg

And here it is after some work

021.jpg

impressive did you do the woodwork yourself?

Yep. Was pretty easy. Hardest thing was getting the butt stock out. And then back in.