Breakin' the law, breakin the laaaw...

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Whoops.

So I had to run an errand before heading in to work today. My plan was to get that done, then stop for lunch, before finally ending up at the office, in the interests of combining trips as much as possible.

I get my errand taken care of, and decided that Quizno's would make for a good lunch. Mmmmmm... toasty. Park the truck, walk in, girl's finishing up helping another guy. Fine with me, I'm still making up my mind anyway. While I was staring dumbly at the menu, I decided to check and see how much cash I had. I reach into my back pocket for my wallet... and there's nothing there.

uhoh.gif

Dammit.

Of course, this would have just been a minor annoyance, had I not been packing as always. I'm not too fond of the thought of what would have happened had I been pulled over.

Three cheers for accidentally carrying illegally!

Anyway, I went straight back home and got my wallet, which I had left sitting on my dresser. Duh.

Edited by GUTTERbOY
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sling

Yikes. I could imagine that it would pretty much suck if you were pulled over.

I have a tendency before i leave the house to squeeze my pockets to make sure i feel that soft square in my pocket. Then i'm good to go. Careful! :D

The one time this happened to me i just went back to the car, unloaded everything, and seperated it as defined by law, went home got my wallet, and loaded back up.

Did that once going shooting...

Nothing like having a car loaded down with an AK, a shotgun, 5 handguns, and a couple thousand rounds of ammo over an hour from home that will just pucker a hole in the seat everytime you see a cruiser.

Guest GUTTERbOY
I have a tendency before i leave the house to squeeze my pockets to make sure i feel that soft square in my pocket. Then i'm good to go. Careful! :up:

Yeah, I always check my pocket for my keys before I lock the door... that took a few hard-earned lessons to sink in. Usually I check that my wallet's there on a fairly regular basis, which to the average Joe probably appears as if I'm spanking myself. :D

Guess I need to work on habitually patting my cheek as I leave the house, too.

Guest jth_3s

What would they do if you got pulled over packing and didnt have your permit? They could run your social and verify you had a permit to carry in a matter of minutes.

Problem is, the law states that you must have it in your possession. I'm sure they could verify that you have a valid permit... but the way the law is worded, a cop wanting to hassle you would have a perfect avenue by which to do so.

Guest db99wj
What would they do if you got pulled over packing and didnt have your permit? They could run your social and verify you had a permit to carry in a matter of minutes.

A Deputy Sherrif friend of mine and I were talking about it and he said I would have probably been fine.

I still bet the odds of you just sitting there in your car with your handugn would drastically be reduced though in this situation.:D

Guest GUTTERbOY

I guess the smart thing to do would have been to disarm myself until I got home and got my wallet... hindsight's 20/20 and all that jazz.

Guest sling

Meh yeah. Legally you do have to have it on you... its just like your drivers license.

Legally you have to have that with you. Sure they can pull up whether you have one or not but thats not the point.

Best to just disarm rather than run the risk of a hefty fine\jail time. Screw that.

I carry my wallet in my side pockets... harder for someone to lift your wallet there and you avoid the classic "omg that guy is spanking himself" embarrassment. If that event exists.:x:

The only hard part is, is that if you don't have any picture ID on you at all... all the LEO knows is that the person you say that you are has a License and a Permit. Some might be able to pull up your photo on-file, but if not, it'll probably take more than just a little bit of explaining.

Guest sling
it'll probably take more than just a little bit of explaining.

feargb.jpg

As the highway patrolman in Fear and Loathing says...

"Its really lonely out here... can i have... just a little kiss?"

Guest GUTTERbOY
Meh yeah. Legally you do have to have it on you... its just like your drivers license.

Legally you have to have that with you. Sure they can pull up whether you have one or not but thats not the point.

Best to just disarm rather than run the risk of a hefty finejail time. Screw that.

I carry my wallet in my side pockets... harder for someone to lift your wallet there and you avoid the classic "omg that guy is spanking himself" embarrassment. If that event exists.:x:

I've got too much crap in my hip pockets as it is. Keys, chap-stick, and sometimes a lighter on the left side, loose change, pen, and pocketknife on the right side.

And to think I'm considering pocket carry... where the heck am I going to put all this stuff?

Guest ProguninTN
Whoops.

So I had to run an errand before heading in to work today. My plan was to get that done, then stop for lunch, before finally ending up at the office, in the interests of combining trips as much as possible.

I get my errand taken care of, and decided that Quizno's would make for a good lunch. Mmmmmm... toasty. Park the truck, walk in, girl's finishing up helping another guy. Fine with me, I'm still making up my mind anyway. While I was staring dumbly at the menu, I decided to check and see how much cash I had. I reach into my back pocket for my wallet... and there's nothing there.

uhoh.gif

Dammit.

Of course, this would have just been a minor annoyance, had I not been packing as always. I'm not too fond of the thought of what would have happened had I been pulled over.

Three cheers for accidentally carrying illegally!

Anyway, I went straight back home and got my wallet, which I had left sitting on my dresser. Duh.

It was for that specific reason, that my father got a duplicate permit. He keeps one his in his wallet and the other in his car. If he ever forgets his wallet, he's still legal. I'm considering doing the same thing.

Guest jth_3s
The only hard part is, is that if you don't have any picture ID on you at all... all the LEO knows is that the person you say that you are has a License and a Permit. Some might be able to pull up your photo on-file, but if not, it'll probably take more than just a little bit of explaining.

I was just recalling what they did to me when I forgot my DL. The cop asked my birth date, Social, and name and the the as*hole wrote me a citation that he knew would be thrown out of court anyway. I dont understand why some cops make a big deal out of a simple mistake that doesnt hurt anyone.

Guest ProguninTN
I was just recalling what they did to me when I forgot my DL. The cop asked my birth date, Social, and name and the the as*hole wrote me a citation that he knew would be thrown out of court anyway. I dont understand why some cops make a big deal out of a simple mistake that doesnt hurt anyone.

1. Were you actually cited for not having your license in your possession, or was it another charge ?

2. If you were cited for not having your license, was it dismissed ?

I ask because Page 4 of the TN Driver's Handbook clearly states "Driving without your license in your possession is punishable by a fine of not less than $2 and not more than $50". However, I know that officers sometimes elect to give warnings on this charge and cite for other charges.