Why am I drawn to a 1911?

espacef1fan

I don't consider it maintenance. It's more of a bonding experience.

I played with plastic guns as a child.. I grew out of it....

My favorite pistol.  Series 80 SS.  I have carried it and would still if I thought I could do it and not print (getting stringy with age).  It is the one I qualified with, shot IPSC with and the only gun I would never consider selling at any price.  It is a thing of beauty and it is deadly.  Doesn't get any better than that!  I will shoot it until I die, and the kids can fight over it when I am gone.  Probably give it to my granddaughter, that'll piss my sons off! :2cents:

Sure. It is the perfect handgun, just as John Browning intended. As evidenced by it's popularity today, after being in production for over 100 years, there just isn't anything better.

There are plenty of better handguns nowadays. I like 1911's a lot, but don't let nostalgia cloud your judgement. Also, popularity doesn't equate to being better, in anything.

Its because 1911s have soul most other handguns dont.

Nightrunner said it best.  There are two handguns that all finished gunmen and gunwomen should own.  The first is the great colt single action army (...or one of its real clones....).  The second is the "real" 1911 (...the one with no rail, no bobtail, and no target sights...).  Both these handguns were built by the greatest (...at one time...) handgun builder in America.  Both served as the official sidearm of the military when lots of killin wuz goin on.  It is, indeed, fitting that the 1911 replaced that greatest of all handguns, the single action army colt.

Now that ive said all that stuff; the question is do i carry one.  The answer is "no".....  Too expensive (...for me at least....), too heavy (...which you can fix somewhat...), and not everyone can shoot 'em well.  

Moral of this little story.  Buy yourself a 1911 so ya can "bond with it" , "feel the presence of its soul", and "think about what horrendous battles must have been fought with such tools"....  Treat it kindly; take it out and show it to friends on special occastions and to the range on pretty days.  Carry somethin cheaper (...a humble plastic pistol...) and shoot with it a lot.  Choose one that you wont mourn for while it sits in the evidence locker for five or so years should you (...God forbid...) have to use it to finish a bad guy.

That's how i see the 1911 thing this mornin.... .  I may get mine out and sit it on the couch next to me this mornin..  It's a pretty day here in east tennessee.

leroy

Edited by leroy

There are plenty of better handguns nowadays. I like 1911's a lot, but don't let nostalgia cloud your judgement. Also, popularity doesn't equate to being better, in anything.

"Better" is a very broad and subjective term. I carried a Glock on duty for a long time, but I'd have no hesitation carrying my 1911.

"Better" is a very broad and subjective term. I carried a Glock on duty for a long time, but I'd have no hesitation carrying my 1911.

"better" translating to being better in a gunfight, as in, more magazine capacity, lighter weapon, less recoil, no annoying extra manual safeties to worry about. I love beautiful firearms as much as the next man, nice double barreled shotguns with walnut stocks, I love a 1911, especially the "historic" models. They are great guns that have proven their place in history. But like all technology, superior tools come along with time. If I'm stuck defending myself with a handgun, I'd rather it be a Glock 17 with a +3 mag extension, 147gr hollowpoints, night sights, and a good rail mounted flashlight. Hard to argue with 20 9mm hollowpoints before a reload, especially coming from a well trained individual.

If I'm stuck with FMJ only, give me .45 ACP. With hollowpoints, there isn't really a big difference.

"better" translating to being better in a gunfight, as in, more magazine capacity, lighter weapon, less recoil, no annoying extra manual safeties to worry about. I love beautiful firearms as much as the next man, nice double barreled shotguns with walnut stocks, I love a 1911, especially the "historic" models. They are great guns that have proven their place in history. But like all technology, superior tools come along with time. If I'm stuck defending myself with a handgun, I'd rather it be a Glock 17 with a +3 mag extension, 147gr hollowpoints, night sights, and a good rail mounted flashlight. Hard to argue with 20 9mm hollowpoints before a reload, especially coming from a well trained individual.

If I'm stuck with FMJ only, give me .45 ACP. With hollowpoints, there isn't really a big difference.

Better means different things to different folks. Carry what you're comfortable with, what you shoot well and what you'd trust your life to. Magazine capacity isn't everything. Shot placement is. JMHO.

• Like 2
The FBI has studied police involved shootings for many years. Their studies show that 80% of shootouts occur within 7 yards and are over in 3 seconds or less. They are not drawn out firefights like the North Hollywood shoot out. You can carry as many mags and rounds as you want but odds are you ain't gonna get off more than a few shots.

Better means different things to different folks. Carry what you're comfortable with, what you shoot well and what you'd trust your life to. Magazine capacity isn't everything. Shot placement is. JMHO.

I specified that you will be placing shots, with any weapon. I shoot the same whether I have 6 before a reload, or 16. Not sure why people think that semi users just spray bullets. Maybe some thug from Compton might, not a well trained person.

As far as the FBI statistics goes, that is police shootings, not civilian. Yeah, they have a point, but at the same time, I'd rather not be reloading in a gunfight. For the 3 seconds, I can put a lot of rounds on target in that time.

Gunfights are going to suck already, I'm just not sure why people will place themselves at a disadvantage on purpose.

Edited by ab28

I specified that you will be placing shots, with any weapon. I shoot the same whether I have 6 before a reload, or 16. Not sure why people think that semi users just spray bullets. Maybe some thug from Compton might, not a well trained person.

Okay, so again to each his own. If a Glock is what makes you tingle so be it. If a 1911 does it for someone else so be it. You're either drawn to 1911s or you're not. I can assure you that JMB does not care either way.

Okay, so again to each his own. If a Glock is what makes you tingle so be it. If a 1911 does it for someone else so be it. You're either drawn to 1911s or you're not. I can assure you that JMB does not care either way.

Well, it was more along the lines of what is more effective in a gunfight. Less reloads are more effective, less recoil is more effective. I am not saying the 1911 sucks, just that better weapons have come along. It isn't just Glock, there are numerous manufacturers with quality weapons out there. SIG, H&K, XD, ect.

Well, it was more along the lines of what is more effective in a gunfight. Less reloads are more effective, less recoil is more effective. I am not saying the 1911 sucks, just that better weapons have come along. It isn't just Glock, there are numerous manufacturers with quality weapons out there. SIG, H&K, XD, ect.

I absolutely understand what you're saying. It's just your use of the word "better" that isn't clicking with me. There's nothing definitively better about a Glock than a 1911 or any other gun. It's a very subjective thing. I've owned Sigs and H&Ks and currently own Glocks and Springfields. They are all great weapons. I frequently carry my XDs, but I still prefer my 1911. All subjective.

• Like 2

Are you a big gunfighter?

• Like 1

Are you a big gunfighter?

Nah, but I did get in a couple of shootouts in Iraq. GI mags for the M4 are a POS, as any .mil can tell you. My rifle jammed, so I drew my pistol. Hit the guy in the head, mostly luck, but it got the job done. Had there been several, I would have been glad for the ammo capacity. Fortunately, my backup as a medic was generally a big, angry guy toting a SAW, so I usually wasn't shooting at people. We all carried a rifle and pistol, except the SAW gunners, so the enemy couldn't pick anything distinguishing out. As in, that one guy with only a pistol is probably an officer or a medic.

Nah, but I did get in a couple of shootouts in Iraq. GI mags for the M4 are a POS, as any .mil can tell you. My rifle jammed, so I drew my pistol. Hit the guy in the head, mostly luck, but it got the job done. Had there been several, I would have been glad for the ammo capacity. Fortunately, my backup as a medic was generally a big, angry guy toting a SAW, so I usually wasn't shooting at people. We all carried a rifle and pistol, except the SAW gunners, so the enemy couldn't pick anything distinguishing out. As in, that one guy with only a pistol is probably an officer or a medic.

I understand you better now. Sorry. I guess the point I always want to make is that the needs of a normal civillian are different than a military troop in combat. There, I'd likely feel more comfortable with a belt fed machine gun. Here, not so much.

As far as the FBI statistics goes, that is police shootings, not civilian. Yeah, they have a point, but at the same time, I'd rather not be reloading in a gunfight. For the 3 seconds, I can put a lot of rounds on target in that time.

My point is that police shootings are very similar situations to civilian shootings. Very close and very fast. It may be an intruder that busts into your bedroom or a robber in the mall parking lot that approaches as you are getting in your car. They are not shooting back at snipers or fighting building to building in Fallujah.

My point is that police shootings are very similar situations to civilian shootings. Very close and very fast. It may be an intruder that busts into your bedroom or a robber in the mall parking lot that approaches as you are getting in your car. They are not shooting back at snipers or fighting building to building in Fallujah.

I meant with the revolver thing, I can get a few more than 6 rounds on target in 3 seconds. 3 seconds is a pretty long time.

Hey guys let's compromise. STI Eagle 2011. Everything a 1911 has to offer in a 2011 platform with 19rds of 9mm. Yes that will be my next handgun purchase. But in 40S&W though since I can still shoot it in major PF in USPSA. There's no reason not to have the best of both worlds :)

Hey guys let's compromise. STI Eagle 2011. Everything a 1911 has to offer in a 2011 platform with 19rds of 9mm. Yes that will be my next handgun purchase. But in 40S&W though since I can still shoot it in major PF in USPSA. There's no reason not to have the best of both worlds :)

How is the size of the grips compared to a  single stack 45 acp model?

Guest carter

this happened to me not long ago... i had a officer RIA tactical and sold it to a friend...then went to a gun shop and came home with this  :dirty:

image1-1_zps15189e2e.jpeg

Edited by carter