Kydex holster question!?!

Guest Joshua__423

Guest Joshua__423

I'm new to the kydex holster scene. I have ordered 1 hybrid holster for my Glock 36 and a OWB Side Armor holster for my Glock 35 with a light on it. The Side Armor holster came in first and naturally I couldn't help but holster up ASAP. I practiced drawing, as it was and adjustable angle holster, and I couldn't help but notice i had some plastic shavings from the holster on my gun on every draw. Is this normal? Like I said this is my first go round so it maybe normal. Also I'm wondering if my hybrid holster (crossbreed style) is going to do this Your input is appreciated! Thanks!

That's pretty normal for an out of the box holster. It can scuff the finish on your slide and cause a little holster wear if its bad enough. You should be able to see where its dragging and take a file to the inside to relieve a little material in the area making contact. Also try loosening the retention screws a little and see if that helps. If you decide that you don't like that holster, for my money Master Tac makes the best kydex holster out there right now. Just my opinion though.
  • Like 2

It shouldnt hurt the gun though since the metal is harder than plastic right?

No.  It might cause slide wear eventually but not right away.  You can also loosen it up with a heat gun.  I had to do that with my Kaluban Cloak for my G34/x300 b/c it was doing the exact same as yours.

Guest Mike P

When kydex holsters get made, if the maker would put one or two layers of tape{like blue painters tape} on the slide for the mold process, even on a blue gun......that doesn't happen. The retention on kydex holsters comes from the form around the trigger guard not the entire gun. Depending on where and how hard the contact is, it will wear the finish off. If the tape method I mentioned is used the finish will never get worn off the slide, at least not on a Glock. :cool: .

Edited by Mike P
  • 2 weeks later...

Which is why you leave the pretty guns in the safe and you carry the workhorse! I stopped carrying my Colt Commander because of this.

Exactly why I carry my g17!

I saw a shirt not too long ago that said "kimber is the gun you show your friends, GLOCK is the gun you show your enemy". I thought that was pretty fitting especially for me. Edited by Kopis