Governor signs guns in parking lots bill

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

State law, state prison, eh? How could it not allow her to have the gun?

- OS

That's what I'm hoping it means, but first time they start tossing cars and find a locked gun safe...I can't help but wonder if they'll freak out and claim it doesn't apply at a prison.

How exactly did the final bill impact colleges and universities?  What about other school owned/operated property?

Head of security at UTC Chattanooga has stated that no guns will be allowed on campus at all.  Permit holders include in the ban.

My take on this whole bill is it's worthless as far as changing anything. Every place that was banned before will still be banned.

Edited by Randall53
Guest Mbeck
I am happy with the law. If a business does not want guns on their property, then they should be able to fire you over it. You should not face any criminal charges though.<br /><br />I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I don't want to have to keep an employee if they are doing things that are not in line with my business. In my case guns would not be one of them, but other things might.<br /><br />Just don't tell anyone, and keep them out of sight. If your employer insists on searching your car, it's time to find a new job.

Head of security at UTC Chattanooga has stated that no guns will be allowed on campus at all.  Permit holders include in the ban.

Don't see how that will prove to be other than idle bravado. What other state laws would he like to violate while he's at it?

And I'd further opine that expelling students for doing it would cost them big time too,  so they'd have to back off on that PDQ also should they try it.

Of course the practical absurdity of his statement is that unless some HCPer has to use his heater, no one will ever know anyway without a search, which will bring on its own set of problems if they want to try that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
Guest MiniGunGal

Posted Today, 08:02 PM

Randall53, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:07, said:snapback.png

Don't see how that will prove to be other than idle bravado. What other state laws would he like to violate while he's at it?

And I'd further opine that expelling students for doing it would cost them big time too,  so they'd have to back off on that PDQ also should they try it.

Of course the practical absurdity of his statement is that unless some HCPer has to use his heater, no one will ever know anyway without a search, which will bring on its own set of problems if they want to try that.

- OS

Head of Security at Pellissippi Knoxville told me (without the heat because they don't carry right now) that they would have to call KPD to search the vehicle (we are in city limits) IF FOR SOME REASON THEY SAW A WEAPON IN A VEHICLE.  THEY (PSCC Security) would NOT search a vehicle......  

Expulsion is not the worry - there are plenty of schools who will take my Federal Loan $$.  My question is, What about the school being Government Property?  Does THIS part change the rules??? 

..... .  My question is, What about the school being Government Property?  Does THIS part change the rules???\\

No. The only thing that prevents anyone having guns on school property is 39-17-1309 and/or if they wanted to post the property, 39-17-1359.

The new "parking lot carry" law specifically negates both of those statutes by naming them as no longer binding as far as guns in personally owned vehicles.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest MiniGunGal

No. The only thing that prevents anyone having guns on school property is 39-17-1309 and/or if they wanted to post the property, 39-17-1359.

The new "parking lot carry" law specifically negates both of those statutes by naming them as no longer binding as far as guns in personally owned vehicles.

- OS

Thanks for the info!

MiniGunGal

Here is the article from the WRCB News 3 website:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21657484/utc-police-chief-no-guns-allowed-on-this-campus

And of course. The only student they interviewed was against allowing guns on campus in any fashion:

"I don't necessarily think that's such a good thing," says student, Tyler Martelli.

Tyler Martelli, a UTC student, was concerned over what the new law might mean for campus life.

"I just really don't feel safe about that, because some kids really would misuse guns," he says.

"I don't necessarily think that's such a good thing," says student, Tyler Martelli.

Tyler Martelli, a UTC student, was concerned over what the new law might mean for campus life.

"I just really don't feel safe about that, because some kids really would misuse guns," he says.

Just like some students might misuse their brains when they are allowed to think for themselves.

Really, I was never this stupid at that age.  I can only assume children are just being lobotomized as they come out of the womb since they are incapable of thinking critically.  Kids might misuse guns?  Of course they would, but would the type of person who would misuse that firearm for crime be the same person who would obey any laws regarding the possession of said firearm in the first place?  Jesus, these people act as if the penalty for carrying a weapon would prevent someone from committing a murder, when the penalty for murder is far greater than the crime of illegally carrying/possessing a firearm.  Why are there so many stupid people?  Why is it so difficult to understand that anyone intending to misuse a firearm will not obey the laws in the first place, therefore making any concerns about safety against armed attackers moot?  How many more mass shootings in "gun free zones" do we need before they get it through their thick skulls?.... Gun free zones mean only criminals will carry guns in those zones. 

Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

My wife works at a state prison. They are subject to search when entering the parking lot.

She doesn't have a permit yet, but I'm trying to talk her into it. I wonder how this would affect her.

That's what I'm hoping it means, but first time they start tossing cars and find a locked gun safe...I can't help but wonder if they'll freak out and claim it doesn't apply at a prison.

You are probably right. If your wife is banned from having a firearm in her car under “39-16-201 Introduction or possession of weapons, explosives, intoxicants or drugs into a penal institution where prisoners are quartered”; I don’t see that mentioned in any changes. I guess it would come down to whether or not the parking lot is a controlled, secure area. I'm sure it will be clarified at some point; since it’s a felony.

You are probably right. If your wife is banned from having a firearm in her car under “39-16-201 Introduction or possession of weapons, explosives, intoxicants or drugs into a penal institution where prisoners are quartered”; I don’t see that mentioned in any changes. I guess it would come down to whether or not the parking lot is a controlled, secure area. I'm sure it will be clarified at some point; since it’s a felony.

Just read whole statute, seems quite the leap to me, unless they're quartering prisoners in the parking lot.

- OS

Just like some students might misuse their brains when they are allowed to think for themselves.

Really, I was never this stupid at that age.  I can only assume children are just being lobotomized as they come out of the womb since they are incapable of thinking critically.  Kids might misuse guns?  Of course they would, but would the type of person who would misuse that firearm for crime be the same person who would obey any laws regarding the possession of said firearm in the first place?  Jesus, these people act as if the penalty for carrying a weapon would prevent someone from committing a murder, when the penalty for murder is far greater than the crime of illegally carrying/possessing a firearm.  Why are there so many stupid people?  Why is it so difficult to understand that anyone intending to misuse a firearm will not obey the laws in the first place, therefore making any concerns about safety against armed attackers moot?  How many more mass shootings in "gun free zones" do we need before they get it through their thick skulls?.... Gun free zones mean only criminals will carry guns in those zones. 

There's a complete generation being taught that guns are BAD. They are being steered away from guns while their little minds are very young and impressionable.  This is the purpose of the 0 tolerance policy of schools today. 

6-year-old South Carolina girl is expelled from school after bringing plastic toy gun to class http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/s-student-6-expelled-plastic-toy-gun-article-1.1252179#ixzz2NnuhRIaB

7-year-old Josh Welch was suspended from his Maryland school for two days after biting a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/pop-tart-gun-bill_n_2852472.html

Parents Furious After Boys Suspended For Using Fingers As Guns      

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/01/15/parents-furious-after-young-boys-suspended-after-playing-with-imaginary-weapon/

Headteacher forces 9-year-old to remove toy soldiers from his birthday cupcakes because they 'promote violence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2290371/Headteacher-forces-Hunter-Fountain-9-remove-toy-soldiers-birthday-cupcakes-promote-violence.html

The trend is to make guns EVIL instruments, owned by EVIL people in the minds of these young children.  They also make a scene and berate the children in front of their peers, who also join in the berating, to push the anti gun agenda into their minds.  The Left will stop at nothing to accomplish their goals.

I remember being in Iraq sometime around 04-05 and getting letters from an elementary school class from anywhere, US.  Some of them had drawn pictures of Soldiers holding weapons and such.  Makes me wonder how 10 years later that is an offense worthy of suspension or expulsion.  Americans are losing their minds.

• Like 2

I remember being in Iraq sometime around 04-05 and getting letters from an elementary school class from anywhere, US.  Some of them had drawn pictures of Soldiers holding weapons and such.  Makes me wonder how 10 years later that is an offense worthy of suspension or expulsion.  Americans are losing their minds.

Teachers are just citizens like us. Like some citizens; some teachers are ignorant beyond belief. Couple that with tenure and you can see how this happens.

Don’t forget you are in a country that elected Obama president…… twice. willy_nilly.gif

It's going to be interesting seeing how this plays out with employers in a right to work state.

“Right to work” state has nothing to do with it. “Employment at will” state means they can let you go without giving a reason.

All this does is give you protection from a criminal citation; not from a pizzed off employer. Edited by DaveTN

There's a complete generation being taught that guns are BAD. They are being steered away from guns while their little minds are very young and impressionable.  This is the purpose of the 0 tolerance policy of schools today. 

6-year-old South Carolina girl is expelled from school after bringing plastic toy gun to class http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/s-student-6-expelled-plastic-toy-gun-article-1.1252179#ixzz2NnuhRIaB

7-year-old Josh Welch was suspended from his Maryland school for two days after biting a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/pop-tart-gun-bill_n_2852472.html

Parents Furious After Boys Suspended For Using Fingers As Guns      

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/01/15/parents-furious-after-young-boys-suspended-after-playing-with-imaginary-weapon/

Headteacher forces 9-year-old to remove toy soldiers from his birthday cupcakes because they 'promote violence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2290371/Headteacher-forces-Hunter-Fountain-9-remove-toy-soldiers-birthday-cupcakes-promote-violence.html

The trend is to make guns EVIL instruments, owned by EVIL people in the minds of these young children.  They also make a scene and berate the children in front of their peers, who also join in the berating, to push the anti gun agenda into their minds.  The Left will stop at nothing to accomplish their goals.

Our children are being indoctrinated to tell on us too.  Educate your little ones about firearms before they go to school.  That they do not have to answer questions like "does daddy have a gun at home", etc.  I hate to build distrust into children, but these people are not their friends.  If you had seen some of the ciricula that is and has been put in place in our schools and the abject fear many teachers have of firearms you would understand why I cannot teach there anymore.  It is worse farther north but it is bad enough right here.  Traditional values are being erroded all over.  If you have little ones I would be very careful whom I entrusted to teach them.

Here is the article from the WRCB News 3 website:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21657484/utc-police-chief-no-guns-allowed-on-this-campus

And of course. The only student they interviewed was against allowing guns on campus in any fashion:

I'd be more worried about underage drinking and date rape on campus than I would someone with a gun in their car.

• Like 2

I am happy with the law. If a business does not want guns on their property, then they should be able to fire you over it. You should not face any criminal charges though.<br /><br />I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I don't want to have to keep an employee if they are doing things that are not in line with my business. In my case guns would not be one of them, but other things might.<br /><br />Just don't tell anyone, and keep them out of sight. If your employer insists on searching your car, it's time to find a new job.

Should said business be able to fire you for having a copy of the Constitution, tape recorder, video camera, golf clubs or any other legal thing kept in your vehicle out of sight and unhandled?

If that restriction was not a part of the agreement upon your hiring, would it be considered ex post facto to institute such a restriction now that this law has been posted as a public chapter?

Edited by Worriedman

I wouldn't be surprised if some employers decide to have you sign something to the effect that you won't bring a gun on their property.  Then again nothing much surprises me these days.

Guest Mbeck

Should said business be able to fire you for having a copy of the Constitution, tape recorder, video camera, golf clubs or any other legal thing kept in your vehicle out of sight and unhandled?

If that restriction was not a part of the agreement upon your hiring, would it be considered ex post facto to institute such a restriction now that this law has been posted as a public chapter?

Why does a business owner have to agree not to fire you unless you violate a pre-determined set of rules? As a business owner, I don't want the state to tell me who I can fire and who I can't. It is not the government's job to make business owners give "proper" reason for firing someone. I don't understand why people want the government to interfere when we agree with it, but not when we are against it. The government just needs to stay out of it.

We don't have a right of employment. We have a right to our firearms... but we also have a right to our own property. You would not want the government to tell you who you can and cannot kick out of your house.. its the same thing.