Governor signs guns in parking lots bill

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

http://www.wsmv.com/story/21653008/governor-signs-guns-in-parking-lots-bill

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Gov. Bill Haslam has signed a bill that would allow people with handgun carry permits to store firearms in their vehicles no matter where they are parked. 

The signing comes despite questions about whether the legislation affects employment law in Tennessee.

Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey of Blountville and four fellow Republican co-sponsors on Thursday submitted a letter for inclusion into the Senate Journal elaborating on their legislative intent for the measure.

While the letter states the bill does not seek to alter the state's "employment-at-will doctrine," it notes that businesses could run into trouble if they seek to enforce a gun ban on their property.

The legislation was approved 28-5 in the Senate, and 72-22 in the House last month. It's scheduled to take effect July 1.

While the letter states the bill does not seek to alter the state's "employment-at-will doctrine," it notes that businesses could run into trouble if they seek to enforce a gun ban on their property.

But the business could say, "he was fired because we didn't like the brand of vehicle the gun was stored in".   

Does this include federal property like a nuclear plant?

TN statute says "unless expressly prohibited by federal law".

I wouldn't think so. Federal property comes under Federal law, not state.

Only banned in buildings according to 18 USC 930 - Sec. 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities.

"The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

Is there another federal law section that allows the banning in parking lots, or in vehicles? Nobody has ever been able to point it out to me if there is. Perhaps only in employment "rules"?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I think lawsuits will pop up every time someone gets fired now. The plaintiff will claim they were fired for having a gun in their car. This is going to cost the taxpayers of Tennessee millions of dollars in litigation.

It was fine before and now that this has passed it changes nothing. A worker will still be fired for having a gun in their car the only difference is now the employer won't say that is why they were fired.

Problem was people couldn't keep their mouth shut about having a gun in their car. And if they think they can now openly say they have a gun in their car, when they couldn't before, without ramifications they are probably going to to have a big surprize.

I am glad you guys got what you wanted but I don't see how it improved it from what it was before.

Dolomite

• Like 4

if you carry a gun in you ca then shut the heck up.  It is no one else's business, and it only carries a downside if found out.

If someone axes me if I have a gun in my truck I tell the truth.  "No".  Of course I don't add that there are two.

• Like 5

if you carry a gun in you ca then shut the heck up.  It is no one else's business, and it only carries a downside if found out.

If someone axes me if I have a gun in my truck I tell the truth.  "No".  Of course I don't add that there are two.

That's funny. I use almost the exact same response for the exact same reason.

My wife works at a state prison. They are subject to search when entering the parking lot.

She doesn't have a permit yet, but I'm trying to talk her into it. I wonder how this would affect her.

State law, state prison, eh? How could it not allow her to have the gun?

- OS