Traveling to Missouri anyone had any issues?

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

I'm traveling to Missouri soon and plan to carry. It looks like I'll be staying in a National Park.

I plan on not carrying and locking my gun unloaded in the car while I'm there at the park, anything to worry about there as far as having a weapon unloaded in the park?

It looks like from what I've found it's ok to carry in the parks there but I think that only is for state parks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY

I plan on not carrying and locking my gun unloaded in the car while I'm there at the park, anything to worry about there as far as having a weapon unloaded in the park?

yes more then likely the bad guys guns will be loaded and on them so be on a look out for them :D

Guest db99wj
yes more then likely the bad guys guns will be loaded and on them so be on a look out for them :D

No you are wrong, the bad guys will disarm too, because a National Park is a gun free zone.

Guest GLOCKGUY
No you are wrong, the bad guys will disarm too, because a National Park is a gun free zone.

yes you are right but if i was clutepc i would get a "gun free zone" sign and hang it around my neck just in case there's not a sign nearby you can never be to safe :D

Guest mtsusean

only problem I see is going through Illinois. If you want to avoid that, go across from Paducah to Wickliffe then on to Sikeston, MO to get on I-55

Guest 270win

The 'off limits' locations in Missouri have no force of law. The worst that can happen is that you be asked to leave an off limits location, not leave, and be fined 100 dollars. If you leave after being asked, no 100 fine. It is nice to be able to carry pretty much wherever you want legally, including schools.

Guest clutepc
only problem I see is going through Illinois. If you want to avoid that, go across from Paducah to Wickliffe then on to Sikeston, MO to get on I-55

Thats what I'm doing.. no sense going through IL if I don't have to..

I want to hit Lamberts in Sikeston anyway..:squint:

Guest rj8806
This site has a lot of good info but I always like to ask around..

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Thanks for the link. I clicked on it and it looks like I am going to be fine with the exception of Illinois.

Since my hotel is technically in Illinois, Fairveiw Heights, what do I need to do? There is no way I am going on a trip with my wife and 12 year old daughter without my Kimber, so what are my options? Are you not allowed to carry in Illinois? Are you allowed to have it in the car? How about the hotel room?

Richard

Guest superslacker

I'm not well informed of Illinois law, but I had a friend who used to live in southern Illinois and he always told me to be sure I don't have a gun on me when I come over the river, or at least make sure I don't get caught with one, because they'll at the very least hassle you mercilessly and probably confiscate the weapon just because they can. I've been told it's the state police who are the primary people to avoid.:P

last time i went up there i looked things up and to possess a firearm in Illinois specifically chicago you have to have a firearms owners identification card. I seem to remember reading that a chp from another state would fill that requirement. YOu will still have to have it unloaded and in a locked case while in the vehicle but i think that provision allowes you to have it in the motel.

Please dont take my word for that look it up. It has been 5 or 6 years since i was up there last but that was the information i was going on at the time. as others mentioned handgunlaw.us would be a good place to start.

Guest rj8806
I'm not well informed of Illinois law, but I had a friend who used to live in southern Illinois and he always told me to be sure I don't have a gun on me when I come over the river, or at least make sure I don't get caught with one, because they'll at the very least hassle you mercilessly and probably confiscate the weapon just because they can. I've been told it's the state police who are the primary people to avoid.:bs:

The hotel I am staying at is next to St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the border. According to my atlas, it is considered east St.Louis, which everyone tells me, is a very bad part of town.

I found another thread with a link to hand gun laws and it said that you could carry the weapon in a car as long as it was not easily accessible by the driver or passenger. I read it as you could keep it in a case but that the ammo needed to be elsewhere in the car.:screwy:

I am not typically a lawbreaker(other than speeding :D) but from what everyone is telling me about east St. Louis being very dangerous, I guess I will have to take my chances. As I said, I will be protecting myself and my family at all costs and leaving my handgun and ammo in a seperate location inside a vehicle, will do me no good.

Richard

+2

Gun or no Gun. If there is any way to do it. Get a motel in a better neighborhood. Crime can happen anywhere but if you think there is a higher chance something would happen don't go there.

I always tell people if i think i am going to need my gun i dont go. Even if that means shopping some where else or driving the long way around town.

Guest rj8806

I wish getting a new hotel were an option but it isn't. We are going for a cheerleading competition. This is the Nationals for my daughters cheerleading team. Her team is representing Tennessee in this competition. She is currently in level 5 and they are competing against 23 other level 5 teams from around the country. About 2 months ago we went to Nashville for the state competition and her team won 1st place.;)

The whole team is staying in the same hotel as the coaches want everyone together. There are teams from level 1 all the way up to level 5 staying there. We had 3 choices for hotels for everyone on the teams to choose from, unfortunately, they chose this one. The organization, "Young Champions of America" is very adament that the teams all stay together as there are team meetings, photo shoots and meet and greets happening Friday and Saturday before the competition.

I really do appreciate all of the help so far, I just have one more question.... Since I am obviously not leaving my gun behind, what is the worst case scenario for me if I get pulled over? I will not keep the gun locked up in my case with the ammo somewhere esle in the car, so that's not an option but I will probably have it just under the seat, out of sight but well within reach. Do I hand the officer my HCP card along with my driver license like I do here in TN? What would you guys do? Obviously not getting pulled over is the best answer and when I am carrying, I try to abide by all the laws of the road. I am just trying to be prepared.

Richard

Edited by rj8806
Guest superslacker
Do I hand the officer my HCP card along with my driver license like I do here in TN? What would you guys do? Obviously not getting pulled over is the best answer and when I am carrying, I try to abide by all the laws of the road. I am just trying to be prepared.

As long as you are obeying the speed limit and your tags are up to date, they should have no reason to pull you over. I personally would not volunteer to the officer that I have a handgun. Someone who lives in a state that does not have a handgun carry permit might become especially alarmed if they are told that you are armed. I would only tell the officer if I were asked. BTW, I was pulled over right outside of downtown St. Louis by an overzealous young deputy a few years ago, and the first thing he asked was if I had a firearm. Fortunately I did not at the time, for whatever reason, but I'm certain he would have hassled me because he was rude anyway. Another potential option could be to leave your gun in the bottom of your suitcase and lock your suitcase in the room when you can't carry. It's not iron clad, but may be an easier, more discreet way of doing it.

Not a good idea in IL. Some of the counties are not following state statues on handgun ownership and possesion but some still are. That could get you a trip to jail. The other thing you really need to be careful of is when you go to this competition it likely will be considered a school activity. Be sure to check Missouri law on school carry.

Guest rj8806
..... go to this competition it likely will be considered a school activity. Be sure to check Missouri law on school carry.

I did think of that but the organization (Young Champions) is not affiliated with the schools in any way.

I don't feel like I need to worry about carrying at the competition, I was more concerned with traveling thru St. Louis.

Richard

Guest clutepc

I go through IL to see family a few times a year, I just carry until the state line then I unload it and lock it in the back and keep the ammo up front.

Then I hope for the best, I dread going to that state just for that reason.

I saw where you mentioned your HCP license, that wouldn't do any good because they don't honor it and probably wouldn't care that you did have one.

I just go there with the thought in mind if I ever do get stopped it's going to be a hassle.

I did just get back from my trip to Missouri and had no problems carrying there.

The state parks had signs that just said unload and lockup your gun while in the park which was fine with me because I was getting in a canoe.

Where we camped there was no issue having a weapon, just no fireworks.. :D

On the way back we ended up getting routed through Cairo IL, being I've gone through that town before (rough place) I almost didn't take my gun off but I know my luck so I didn't risk it.

Needless to say I was glad to see the Kentucky Line..

Good luck on your trip

Guest rj8806
I go through IL to see family a few times a year, I just carry until the state line then I unload it and lock it in the back and keep the ammo up front.

Then I hope for the best, I dread going to that state just for that reason.

I saw where you mentioned your HCP license, that wouldn't do any good because they don't honor it and probably wouldn't care that you did have one.

I just go there with the thought in mind if I ever do get stopped it's going to be a hassle.

I did just get back from my trip to Missouri and had no problems carrying there.

The state parks had signs that just said unload and lockup your gun while in the park which was fine with me because I was getting in a canoe.

Where we camped there was no issue having a weapon, just no fireworks.. :D

On the way back we ended up getting routed through Cairo IL, being I've gone through that town before (rough place) I almost didn't take my gun off but I know my luck so I didn't risk it.

Needless to say I was glad to see the Kentucky Line..

Good luck on your trip

When you said you locked it up in the back, did you literally lock it in the trunk? Would I be okay locking it in a case and have it on the floorboard in the backseat or do I need to lock it in the trunk?

I know they don't honor my HCP so that wasn't in question. I am still thinking about just leaving it underneath my seat. I checked from several angles last night and you cannot see it where I would like to keep it. The only way it would be seen is if the officer searched the vehicle or sat in my seat and felt underneath the seat. I don't plan on speeding at all and will be on my best "driving" behavoir so hopefully I won't have any trouble. We leave Friday after lunch, wish me luck. :D

Richard