What's a fair trade?

I was cleaning up some ammo sorage areas and noticed that I had an un opened 100 round box of 556. I put is up for trade on another site to try and get some 7.62x39. I was flooded with emails from people trying to trade me 50 rounds of "hunting" 7.62x39 for my 556. I am getting tired of people put post crazy on what they have and pre crazy on my ammo. I paid $40 for mine and that was pre crazy, so I thought 130 rounds of cheap 762 would be fair given pre crazy price on 762 was $5.17 a box of 20. I rounded up to the value on the 762 to $6 a box of 20. SO I guess my question is am I going about this all wrong. What is the best way to trade in this market. I am not one to tell some one to bend over and take it. I want to be as fair as I can. I do not want to outright sell the ammo because I will never find 762 at a fair price right now. so far the best I have found on 762 is 12 for 20 and that is the tula that WW sells for $5.17. This was mainly a rant but am willing to take advice on what to ask in trade.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your respondents want to use current prices for theirs use current prices for yours. You can't roll back time, but you can at least compare apples to apples.

IIRC they cost about the same pre-crazy, but this ain't pre-crazy. If you feel yours is only worth what you paid for it, demand an even trade. If you realize yours went up in value more than theirs, ask for 150 or 160 rounds of theirs.

Trade a free dog for you ammo? :wave:

I just laugh at guys that post ammo for sale that they have had

for a good bit and want to sale at crazy prices.

As far as the OP asked, I dont have an answer, do what you makes you

feel god and let you sleep at night.

Guest 6.8 AR

Market value: what a buyer and a seller agree to without duress.

That help? :D

You might not like my other answer, but if you price it based on what you think it is actually

worth, rather than what an asinine market could be one day, and then different the next,

you might get a quick and reasonable sale, or trade.

Market value can be difficult to determine in these uncertain times.

Edited by 6.8 AR
For the record, a new gun shop in Franklin/Cool Springs had hundreds of 20 ct boxes of 7.62x39 for $8.99 each yesterday. Their brass .223/5.56 was going for $16.99 for the same size boxes.. Edited by BigK

I have traded with a couple of times in this. I explained up front that I will only talk in Pre crazy wal mart prices and that is it. This means your 550 rd. box of .22 is worth roughly one 100 rd. box of fmj 9mm or if you want want one 100rd box of .223 you need to come up with 10 dollars more of .22.

Guest 6.8 AR

But you are setting market prices based on previous not accurate data. Pre-crazy is what I would want to see,

but you might consider what is most valuable to you: what you have, or what you need. The other party is going to

be doing the same thing.

Trading is fair when there is honesty on the table. The only way to be honest with an unknown is your being

honest about your needs and wants and don't worry about whether or not you just got screwed. I hate the

idea of someone thinking they got screwed because they entered into a trade and walked away with what they

wanted all along.

Guest carter

I love the people wanting to trade... they want there item valued at post crazy prices and your item valued at pre crazy prices...i find it comical and idiotic... also people wanting to trade expendable items for a static items...such as ammo for guns lol they must think there are some really stupid people out there... 

IMHO the 2 rounds are traded 1 for 1 unless great discrepency in quality.  

-- if the hunting stuff is brass cased and you reload, its worth significantly more.  I would say 3 steel to 1 brass.

Edited by Jonnin

It depends on what you have and what they have. I'd gladly trade Wolf or Tula 7.62x39 2 for 1 for 556 American Eagle or the like. I wouldn't, however, trade 1 for 1 my Lapua or Norinco 7.62x39.

I am just looking to get some cheap plinking 762.

Once you venture off TGO you can almost hang it up trying to get anyone to trade apples to apples with you. Especially if your on the more valuable/lower round count side of the trade. I tried like the dickens to trade brass cased .223 for .22lr and was more than willing to come out a little on the short side due to the fact i have plenty of one and not much of the other. However I wasn't willing to let them value their $20-$24 Federal or Remington brick at $40-$50 and value my .223 at 0.25-.30 per round and act like they were doing me a favor. Had someone tell me they'd be willing to trade me their 3 used GI mags for 500 rounds of .223. I was at a loss for words. 

Good luck with your search.

Once you venture off TGO you can almost hang it up trying to get anyone to trade apples to apples with you. Especially if your on the more valuable/lower round count side of the trade. I tried like the dickens to trade brass cased .223 for .22lr and was more than willing to come out a little on the short side due to the fact i have plenty of one and not much of the other. However I wasn't willing to let them value their $20-$24 Federal or Remington brick at $40-$50 and value my .223 at 0.25-.30 per round and act like they were doing me a favor. Had someone tell me they'd be willing to trade me their 3 used GI mags for 500 rounds of .223. I was at a loss for words.
Good luck with your search.

that is exactly what has been happening, the best I offer I have had was 1 for 1 and that was cheap steel case for my brass cased ammo. Also had an offer for a Korean glock mag. Edited by STAHDKnoxville

that is exactly what has been happening, the best I offer I have had was 1 for 1 and that was cheap steel case for my brass cased ammo. Also had an offer for a Korean glock mag.

They have gotten so excited that something they have has sky rocketed in value and have already dreamed up how much they will get or trade for. The problem is what they are trying to trade for has also inflated... so if they make a apples to apples trade deal then they didn't get anything more than they would have 4 months ago. Those kind of people need to stick to trading for un-inflated items so they can feel like they got the upper hand.. 

I just had another crap offer. 5 boxes of 22lr 550 count from me for 140 rounds of tula 762x39 from him. He even said in his email that he values his 140 rounds at $110 and my boxes of 22lr is worth $20 but he will cut me a deal and not make me split up a 6th box. Man what a nice guy.

I just had another crap offer. 5 boxes of 22lr 550 count from me for 140 rounds of tula 762x39 from him. He even said in his email that he values his 140 rounds at $110 and my boxes of 22lr is worth $20 but he will cut me a deal and not make me split up a 6th box. Man what a nice guy.

Sure wish you were looking for .223 instead of 7.62x39.. I'd be willing to dive into a FAIR trade for some of that .22lr.