cleaning patch idears?

I know a lot of us on here are, well, cheapskates. While I don't mind down plunking down a few Benjamins on a piece of hardware I've had my eye on, store bought cleaning patches are something different.

I've been using old tee shirts that I cut up with a pair of scissors, but its a pain. Any other idears out there or what you do to save a few bucks?
  • Like 1
You can get free tshirts from various charity places and usually on the last day of yard sales. Craigslist too.

I PREFER a white tshirt so I can see what's coming out but I use them all. I refuse to buy patches when cut up tshirts work just as well.

You're not alone.
  • Like 1
One time my son left the lid off a container of zit wipes and they dried out. I dug them out of the trash and used them as cleaning patches. That was the most expensive cleaning patches I've ever used, but still a good save despite my wife calling me a scrooge.

You can get free tshirts from various charity places and usually on the last day of yard sales. Craigslist too.

I PREFER a white tshirt so I can see what's coming out but I use them all. I refuse to buy patches when cut up tshirts work just as well.

You're not alone.

Same here. The cost of linen patches is just stupid high. I used them for many years. Found a guy selling huge bags of them at a gun show back in the mid 80's for 5 bucks a bag. Literally 1000 1', 2x2, and 4x4 patches per bag. I bought 2 of them, then at the end of the day I saw him again and caught him in distress I guess. He sold me 4 more bags for 10 bucks.

I used them until the last few bags got wet and dirty in the 2010 flood.

So now...the old worn out tee is my cleaning rag.

One time my son left the lid off a container of zit wipes and they dried out. I dug them out of the trash and used them as cleaning patches. That was the most expensive cleaning patches I've ever used, but still a good save despite my wife calling me a scrooge.

Most women just don't appreciate the fact that most of us guys just can't stand waste. Just as soon as you throw it out...you'll find a use for it.

There's just gotta be a use for all that stuff the wife says is piling up in the way.

I use old cut up undershirts. The materi being ridged is a huge help cleaning a filthy barrel. Don't ask me why, just seems to scrub better. I go through a lot in the summer so supply is usually not an issue, plus my fat a$$ wears a pretty big shirt so I get a lot from each one.
  • Like 2

I use old cut up undershirts. The materi being ridged is a huge help cleaning a filthy barrel. Don't ask me why, just seems to scrub better. I go through a lot in the summer so supply is usually not an issue, plus my fat a$$ wears a pretty big shirt so I get a lot from each one.

Haha. So in this case having a few extra pounds is economical?!

We've met before, if you recall. Your patch to cheeseburger ratio ain't got nothin on me.

Of course I recall.

That was the Ca Nick, deprived of nutrients from eating granola and tofu.

The Tn Nick feasts upon country fried steak samiches and drinks country gravy by the quart.
  • Like 1

t shirts are the only way to go.     I make a ton of them in one shot and be done with it for a year or two.  Stuff them into an old pretzel container.  I like them about an inch and a half square.  And since I can't cut for anything i end up with a nice variety of sizes  LOL

My wife works in a hospital. Many of the kits that the doctors use have many 2x2's and 4x4's in them that are not used in whatever procedure they are doing. Not touched and never contaminated she brings them home for me instead of throwing them away. 1/2 of a 2x2 works great for 30 cal. barrels and the 4x4's work great for shotgun barrels and general wipe down. Again, these are unused, uncontaminated gauze pads that were in a sterile procedure kit that would have been thrown away,

BTW, I no longer use patches to clean my barrels since I discovered bore snake. I pull that turkey through the barrel 3-4 times and it's cleaner than a whistle.
Another good find are some makeup removing pads I got from Walmart. I originally picked these up to clean and oil slides and small parts but their just to fiberous, they shed to much leaving fibers on your parts.

They work really well for scrubbing out a shotgun barrel though. For a 12gauge I wrap two of them up, spray a little balistol on the front half and insert that end fist into the bore. Then just push them through with a dowel or rod.

Probably easier to just get a bore snake but these are disposable so you don't have to clean them later, I just push them out into the trash can and get on with my day.
Guest carter

You're not alone.

is that why toilet paper is white?