Question on Permit renewals

<LI class=bodytext>The renewal fee for a handgun carry permit is $50.00. Permit Holders whose permit have not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.

I was sitting here reading thru some info on the TN Dept of Safety site on HCP Renewals. The paragraph above is from there.

Concerning the sentence above in bold, If a permit holders permit has not expired then why should they have to carry the receipt with them? Wouldn't the actual permit be all that is required? Does it mean that if you renew before your permit expires then you may still legally carry after the expiration date of the permit with the receipt?

I am not up for renewal yet but have been reading here about all of the delays and when I am ready to renew I want to know what to do and when.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<LI class=bodytext>The renewal fee for a handgun carry permit is $50.00. Permit Holders whose permit have not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.

I was sitting here reading thru some info on the TN Dept of Safety site on HCP Renewals. The paragraph above is from there.

Concerning the sentence above in bold, If a permit holders permit has not expired then why should they have to carry the receipt with them? Wouldn't the actual permit be all that is required? Does it mean that if you renew before your permit expires then you may still legally carry after the expiration date of the permit with the receipt?

I am not up for renewal yet but have been reading here about all of the delays and when I am ready to renew I want to know what to do and when.

Well, it's just badly worded.

What they mean is, if you have applied for/paid for renewal BEFORE your existing permit runs out, you can carry with the receipt AFTER your existing permit runs out (assuming you haven't received your new one).

This would be opposed to applying for renewal AFTER your existing permit lapses.

- OS

If your permit is within 6 months of renewal I would go ahead and send it in. They are taking longer and longer at getting them returned (unless you are Jimmy Naifeh.)

That being said, if you mail it in and it gets close to your renewal date, you can get a letter from the state that you keep with you if your permit expires before you get a new one.

Guest db99wj

The receipt shows that you have paid and sent it off. There would be no way to tell if they called it in if you had done so. At least that is the way I read it.

What they mean is, if you have applied for/paid for renewal BEFORE your existing permit runs out, you can carry with the receipt AFTER your existing permit runs out (assuming you haven't received your new one).

This would be opposed to applying for renewal AFTER your existing permit lapses.

- OS

Correct!

Guest bkelm18

- OS

If your permit lapses before you submit your renewal you have to go through the whole process again. Class and all.

If your permit lapses before you submit your renewal you have to go through the whole process again. Class and all.

That is in correct...you do not have to take the class again if you apply within 6 months of the expiration date.

39-17-1351(m)

A permit holder shall not be required to complete a handgun safety course to maintain or renew a handgun carry permit. No permit holder shall be required to complete any additional handgun safety course after obtaining a handgun carry permit. No person shall be required to complete any additional handgun safety course if the person applies for a renewal of a handgun carry permit within six (6) months from the date of expiration.

Guest HexHead
If your permit is within 6 months of renewal I would go ahead and send it in. They are taking longer and longer at getting them returned (unless you are Jimmy Naifeh.)

That being said, if you mail it in and it gets close to your renewal date, you can get a letter from the state that you keep with you if your permit expires before you get a new one.

About another month and I'm going to need a renewal of the letter. I sent in my paperwork the end of Feb. and I'm still waiting. I called today and just like when I called a few weeks ago they took my name and number and said they'd call be back. They didn't the last time and I'm not holding my breath this time around either. Been well over 4 months now. :squint:

Guest db99wj
About another month and I'm going to need a renewal of the letter. I sent in my paperwork the end of Feb. and I'm still waiting. I called today and just like when I called a few weeks ago they took my name and number and said they'd call be back. They didn't the last time and I'm not holding my breath this time around either. Been well over 4 months now. :cool:

If I haven't heard back by the end of business today, they will have a phone call the first of business in the morning, or at least after I had a cup of coffee, I wouldn't want to be evil.

Guest nj.piney

best bet would be to renew at m.v. they give you the receipt at the same time . the m.v. line is about 6 people long in maryville.