New Big Game Check In Process

Ok, I know we have discussed this a little, but I thought it would be good to condense the new options into one post. Starting with Spring Turkey 2013, here are your options for checking in your big game kill.

You DO NOT have to have a kill tag attached to your kill.

You DO NOT have to have a kill tag filled out to transport your kill. 

You MUST check in your kill THE SAME DAY, before midnight, on the day you kill the animal. This used to be within 24 hours. Now it is the SAME DAY! 

Below was taken from a post by a TWRA agent on another site:

Yes, the regulations state that you are required to show them (TWRA officer) proof that the animal has been checked in on a TWRA approved form or on the mobile application.

If you check in at a check station, the POS machine will generate such a document with the CONFIRMATION #.

If you check in online, you will also have such a document to print. If you do not have printing capability, you can use a harvest log to record all of the information and especially the confirmation number.

If you check in on the mobile app, then the system will automatically self-populate the check-in in the Hunter's Diary. That is sufficient to show the processor or taxidermist. If you think you may lose cell coverage, you can put the information on a harvest log as well. I think it will take about 25 seconds at most to put it on paper.

The key information for processors and taxidermists will be the CONFIRMATION #.

Hopefully this will help everyone understand the new requirements.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i'm gonna like this. Last year during deer season it took me forever to check in a deer in Rutherfod County. We only have a few places that check big game and everyones machine was down. It was frustratiing to say the least.

I suspect this will lead to a few more folks extending the bag limit on bucks and turkey. I think once a guy has the game home, butchered and in the freezer, they will be less likely to "tag out" that final buck or turkey so they can continue to hunt. I think the punched tag help keep that minimized to the hardcore poachers.

I wish we were a pay per tag state. 25.00 per buck after you use your first "included tag". Encourage meat hunters to shoot does. Make doe tags cheap. 5.00 each and buy all you want in unit L.

That pay per tag could get costly.

Possibly. Ideally the cost of the initial license would be lowered. If it was 20.00 for a hunt/fish combo. Then 25.00 for the deer stamp, which came with a buck tag and a doe tag. Then 25.00 if you want a second buck. 5.00 if you want another doe. Do away with the archery/muzzle loader/rifle just. Then if a hunter just wanted to hunt a couple times during deer season it wouldn't cost him as much. It would only cost the hunter that took more deer. I know guys that shoot so many deer they try to give them away and have a hard time because of all the deer they have already given away. Anyway, it's a pipe dream. No matter what they system is, someone won't be happy with it.