FNH FNAR 308 Input

lshel

I've been considering a 308 semi-auto. I've looked at AR10/8 and the FNH FNAR 308 in 20" barrel. The FNAR literature online shows it to be sub MOA, but alot harder to disassemble. The FNAR are priced lower but see alot advertised for sale. Those that have owned both please give me your input. Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one in the heavy barrel configuration.I think they are great guns and very accurate ( i only had mine out to 500yards). The only downsides to me were the dis-assembly like you said and of course the proprietary magazines. It was quite a task the first time i disassembled  mine. I ended up selling my FNAR not because I didn't like it but because It was funding another purchase.  

I personally like the AR-10 platform a bit more as you have FAR more options and magazines and parts are interchangeable but... In order to have a nice AR-10 you will spend quite a bit more IMO.

Edited by mcordell

I have a FNAR fluted barrel model and have no complaints. I had 2 armalite ar-10s and prefer my fnar over them so I sold the ar-10s.

Yeah mags are about 60-70 each but like said what mags are not high at the moment.

What would be better a 16" or 20" barrel? I assume a 20" would be more accurate for longer distances, or would it. Would a 16" barrel would have less harmonic vibrations, thus more accurate? The 20" would give higher velocities. What do you have?

Ive heard an 18" is optimum for a .308 battle rifle. Good maneuverability but still good velocity. 16" has too much muzzle blast and unburnt powder and 20" doesnt gain enough velocity over a 18" to be worth the extra 2" and lost maneuverability.

Mine is the heavy fluted 20" and yes it is way accurate and does not "feel" heavy as compared to my other full size 308s.  Outta the box it has grouped MOA and has done well with several brands of ammo.  It runs very clean and does not beg for a lot of maintenance to run right.  Looking at a teardown does give caution because of the little parts.  Spray, brush, spray, oil then wipe.  Works great.

Yep, the mags ain't cheap.  MidwayUSA has a special every now and then for $49-54 each and that's when you get those.  The 5 rounders are scarce.  I have not found one yet after 2 years of looking.  

Side note: my SOCOM is a 16", handles great but it's LOUD.  I have not gone with any other length shorter than 18 since because of that.  

Good luck finding the right deal on an FNAR.  You will like!

I have an SX-AR (the camo'd winchester version) with the 20" heavy barrel and it was great out to 600yds (hadnt tried any further).  I also have a MEGA 308 rifle with 18" barrel and my thoughts are for a batterifle the FNAR really is too heavy and not ergonomically correct for it...also any kind of indoor area and the 20" barrel is just too long imho...however for putting little holes in paper at a distance theres no better semi auto value for the dollar.  I had a remington 700 police tactical bolt gun and I shot so much better with my SX-AR I sold it.

I use a Weaver Tactical 30mm 5-20x scope with TPS medium rings.

(I bought the SXAR over the FNAR because even though it lacks the side rails and has a two piece rail on top it was only $850 at sportsmans warehouse and though its not fluted like the FN the barrel is identically accurate)

Edited by Magiccarpetrides