The BEST .380 Defensive Load

What caliber and more importantly what specific gun do you look for in a back up?

I’m not a cop anymore so I don’t carry a back-up gun. When I did I carried a J-frame that would shoot the same ammo I carried in my duty weapon.

The caliber wars will go on and on, you can find reasons for using many calibers. Everything is application driven. That’s why I think people lose track of what the application (or requirement) for a self defense round is. I don’t care if the person dies, I don’t care how much they bleed, I don't care if the ammo is affordable to shoot, I know enough about physics to know that velocity doesn’t mean squat without mass and surface area, I don’t have to have a magazine that holds 15 rounds.

For shooting unarmed burglars you can use anything; .22, .380, bean shooter; an armed gunman with skills that may be as good or better than yours is another thing. My application is Stop The Threat. Make my opponent unwilling or unable to fire his weapon. I want my round to expel all of its energy in him; not through him. I want him to know instantly that he has been severely damaged and hopefully disoriented.

Shot placement is important, but so is caliber.

Neither matter if your weapon malfunctions; don’t buy cheap guns for protection. What’s your life worth?

This is about you…. Period. It doesn’t matter what you read on a forum or think you can derive from ballistic charts. If you find yourself facing an armed gunman the choice you make will determine if you (or your family members) live or die.

That being said, what would I use? .45ACP, 40.S&W, and .357Mag are all proven performers. 10mm and .357Sig are good rounds, but they are not mainstream. .38 special and 9mm are okay; but I wouldn’t use them unless I had a reason, like having a small concealable gun. It’s a trade off depending on the application. I personally would not give up caliber for magazine capacity, but I might give up caliber for concealment.

I am certainly no expert, but the first time I faced an armed gunman the thing that I remember the most after it was over was the fact that the mechanics of drawing and firing my weapon were automatic because they were practiced. Point instinct shooting saved my life.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS
Read this brothers and sisters

A Critical Choice

I just want to point out that the measurement used in the photo is not in inches. If 8-10" of penetration meets your requirements (yes, I know strickj :screwy:), then this seems to be a good load.

I need more than that (see post #88).

Also, I'm waiting for credible, 3rd party testing of this round (like this)...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/27656-hornady-critical-defense-info.html

...I haven't seen it yet.

EDIT: Thank you for the article Alpha7...the more info, the better.

Edited by Todd@CIS
A .380 with you beats a .45ACP sitting in the safe

so does a wrist rocket, what is your point? I had a friend who was killed trying to defend his girlfriend with a .380 you are better off defending yourself with a load that will save your life not just piss someone off

Edited by willis68

While I cary a .380 only in specific situations (when walking the neighborhood with the wife or at church) and don't doubt that the Honady CD rounds are an excellent choice (I own them in 9mm, .380 .357 and even once gave them as a gift in .357 ;) ), I wonder why they say-

"Hornady specifically designed the Critical Defense line for .380, 9mm, .38 Special and .357 Magnum, the calibers we're more likely to be carrying."......

Who the heck is we? Most everyone I know carries .40, .45 or maybe a 9mm......:taunt:

Yep, I'm old school, seen 380's not work back in 83, 9mm is smallest cal. I carry for SD. I use heavy bullets, seen'm work !!! JUST MY OPINION !!! Everyone has the freedom to workout there own salvation !!!! Still agree with the old saying " Friends don't let friends buy 380's ".:)

I think we need to find out what James Bond uses in his Walther PPK. It seems to work really well for bad guys. They go down like a ton of bricks. Just imagine what the new "magic bullets" can do for him now. That Walther can probably take an arm off. And heck his Beretta 418 in the early years was a 25acp and it blew guys away. :P