The BEST .380 Defensive Load

Guest bkelm18
Because it is just one step above a spit ball and a straw. In an armed encounter it has very little chance of stopping the bad guy from shooting you.

You have no idea how well you will shoot at something other than a piece of paper.

It is however better than nothing. If that’s how you think a carry weapon should be described...go for it.

Would you care to volunteer to be shot with a .380?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I wouldn’t volunteer to be shot with a spit ball and a straw.

Or a BB gun or a pellet gun, or a stun gun, or with bean bags or rubber bullets....:D

Good. Because the .380 is a more than sufficient self defense round. The best? No. The worst? Not by a long shot. If you honestly think its just a step above a spit ball, then perhaps you should do a bit of research.

Guest TheBulldog
Because it is just one step above a spit ball and a straw. In an armed encounter it has very little chance of stopping the bad guy from shooting you.

You have no idea how well you will shoot at something other than a piece of paper.

It is however better than nothing. If that’s how you think a carry weapon should be described...go for it.

Dave something is BETTER than Nothing.

BUT, even MORE SO, if they are Comfortable WITH THAT FIREARM.

If he likes to shoot it and is familiar with it, then if stress conditions come, he may have a better level of comfort and his muscle memory will allow him to perform better than with a firearm of a larger caliber that is unfamiliar or uncomfortable.

I mean, you can kill with a 22 if you are skilled enough and comfortable enough to do so.

Sure, A Larger caliber may be better, but from the poster is asking what the best defensive round is for the .380?

That in and of itself tells me that they are comfortable with their choice and intend to carry it.

That is fine, that is their choice to do so, they know it may not the best one but they do seem comfortable with it.

A person that is comfortable with a firearm can be made into a ninja with it given enough time and training and a willingness to learn and be realistic.

By using the standard, "It's not big enough" We should all be toting shotguns around with deer slugs for carry and not Pistols and Revolvers.

The topic here is what is the best round for the .380 not if the .380 is better than spitballs.

I mean come one man, My Ex mother inlaw could kill you with one of her spitballs!:D

Guest Todd@CIS

Luckyforward (original poster),

Just to be clear, I wasn't "ripping" the .380 in any of my posts.

I just advocated the use of FMJ when using that caliber and provided reasoning for my opinions.

I have used the .380 in the past as a back-up/deep concealment and may use it in the future. Currently, I just choose to use a .38 J-frame for that purpose.

Regards

My goodness. How did I miss this?

Pretty much everything has been said. So I'll very quickly throw in my 2 cents.

The 380 is a perfectly acceptable close range defense round. Yes cannons are better but they don't fit in your back pocket. I use FMJs in mine. Frangible or safety rounds are very bad choices.

Have a nice day.

• 1 year later...

I've heard both sides of this argument several times....

...JHP in the .380 won't expand - or -

...FMJ is the only way to go - or -

...Penetration is most important

So, being the new owner of a Bersa Thunder, I'm debating what to carry for ammunition. I'm leaning towards one of the "Self Defense" hollowpoint loads provided I can find one that my pistol likes.

What are you guys carrying for ammo in your .380s ... and more importantly ... WHY are you carrying it? What did you base your decision on?

I'm sure someone will chime in saying you should carry snake shot in your .380. You'll end up carrying whatever you can find on a dealer's shelf. I bought several boxes of Remington Express FMJ from Cheaper Than Dirt several years ago, still haven't run out.

I've heard both sides of this argument several times....

...JHP in the .380 won't expand - or -

...FMJ is the only way to go - or -

...Penetration is most important

So, being the new owner of a Bersa Thunder, I'm debating what to carry for ammunition. I'm leaning towards one of the "Self Defense" hollowpoint loads provided I can find one that my pistol likes.

What are you guys carrying for ammo in your .380s ... and more importantly ... WHY are you carrying it? What did you base your decision on?

Can of worms!

That being said, I personally use 90 grain JHP. These have been found to be the most effective for one shot stopping power according to Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow's book: Stopping Power: A Practical Analysis of the Latest Handgun Ammunition.

Here is a link to the quick reference.

380 ACP Stopping Power

I use the full metal jacket in my 380, because over penetration won't be a problem like with the 10mm, and it being a Cobra that's all I trust to shoot in it. My FMJ are the standard Remington UMC and they will go through one side of a steel drum, but the back part they just make a dent in. The hollow-points do the same. I have tried the "phone book" test and both the FMJ and 88 gr HP by remington expanded to almost the same size. I hope you are shooting something besides it Cobra, it is terrible.