Scored some old .22 revolvers

graycrait

Remarkable revolvers. Quite advanced really, as even your oldest one has the trigger block device, first drop safe revolvers made AFAIK.

My 922 is a johnny come lately, late 50's best I remember from researching them. I used it to get HCP.

HR.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I traded a friend of mine who lives just a mite south of Nashville for them.  We did a one for one swap of .22 handguns.  The Special can be found on Gunbroker sometimes, as can be the Sportsman/999 and the 622.  I can't remember what year  the Sportsman picked up the number designation 999 but it was later on its production. I like shooting the Sportsman/999 more than I do a S&W 17.  Mostly the accuracy is about the same for me and I like the 9 shot simultaneous ejection when you break open the revolver.

I wanted something that I could shoot everything from Colibras to 60grain SSS again.  And I like the H&Rs, the single ejection models just flat work and the 9 shot simultaneous ejection ones are just plain fun.  With a speed loader and loading blocks those 9-shot H&Rs can go through ammo faster than you can with a semi-auto, well not quite if you have one of those Ultimate Clip Loaders for the Ruger.  I hope to be able to buy Colibras again someday that won't cost me 20 cents a round.  A digression: Who are those people selling that stuff?  I saw some dude trying to trade 1600 rds of bulk .22LR and a Mosin for a Glock.  I felt like asking him if he had the other 350 bucks in cash it would take to buy a used Glock along with his trade fodder. Imagine thinking 1600 rds of .22 and a Mosin worth 450-550.00? If that is the future of shooting I am going fishing for a long long time.

• Like 1

A digression: Who are those people selling that stuff?  I saw some dude trying to trade 1600 rds of bulk .22LR and a Mosin for a Glock.  I felt like asking him if he had the other 350 bucks in cash it would take to buy a used Glock along with his trade fodder. Imagine thinking 1600 rds of .22 and a Mosin worth 450-550.00? If that is the future of shooting I am going fishing for a long long time.

Thanks for saying that. I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking this was an oddball sort of deal.

• Like 1
Not the only one thinking it by any stretch. I go onto the classifieds these days for cheap laughs, $1200-)1500 for a $700 AR?! $125 for 440 7.62x54R?! People, do your homework on the potential buyers here on TGO, most of us didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Hit up some gun shows or armslist if your that desperate to turn a buck.

Jeez!

Back on topic, those are sweet six guns (and nine gun) you've got there, I too would like a neat little revolver to shoot some CBs. Of course, break tops are the bees knees to boot. Are these relatively accurate? I'm a pretty miserable shot so I certainly need all the help I can get ;)

A digression: Who are those people selling that stuff?  I saw some dude trying to trade 1600 rds of bulk .22LR and a Mosin for a Glock.  I felt like asking him if he had the other 350 bucks in cash it would take to buy a used Glock along with his trade fodder. Imagine thinking 1600 rds of .22 and a Mosin worth 450-550.00? If that is the future of shooting I am going fishing for a long long time.

Thanks for saying that. I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking this was an oddball sort of deal.

No, I to have been holding my toung, I did not have a like of this place and David I would be baned.

BOT, Very nice 22s there, just a problem, THEY ARE NOT IN MY HOUSE!!!

Back on topic...Nice group of H&R revolvers you've got there. I also have a couple 9 shot H&R revolvers, including a model 999 Sportsman with diamond grips and a model 930 snubby. The Sportsman is a fine revolver with a wonderful trigger. The 930 is just a basic revolver, and I much prefer my High Standard Sentinel revolvers over it, but it does get the job done.   

Edited by LCPfraTN

If you can get a H&R Sportsman 999 you can have a fine shooting 9 shot.  I think they are accurate, but then no one is inviting me to take take up where  Ed McGivern or Bob Munden left off, also Jerry Miculek has nothing to fear from me, so my "Accurate" may be suspect.  I read somewhere that H&R QC on these fell off in the late 60s or early 70s but I am not sure about that.  But I did limit my search for a Sportsman to pre 60s if possible.  I got that in spades when I landed the one i got along with the "Special" which is simply the Sportsman/999 predecessor if I understand the progression correctly.  

I ain't hunting for ammo any longer.  It is either available at a decent price or I won't shoot.  Now days I shoot for fun. For me to be fun it has to be comparatively inexpensive. I traded for these revolvers because I have some pretty crappy ammo to shoot up like CBs, shorts, mixed bags of who knows what, and dirty old stuff.  Good thing about revolvers is that they aren't too picky and unlike centerfire even bad .22 ammo ain't too dangerous if you aren't at the wrong end of the pipe.  Out of old revolvers even plinking at short ranges is fun with crappy ammo.   Between ammo hoarding/speculators and urban anti-gunners I may get priced out of the shooting sports. Good thing I have other hobbies, some of which I am dusting off again after having shelved them getting side-tracked by shooting.  

Nice.  Love the looks of those break tops.  I like H&R revolvers.  I've posted pics of this one, before but what the heck - I'll post them, again.  My H&R 930 that I got for $99 (before tax and TICS) two or three years back.

Looked like this when I got it:

and looked like this after I put the Flitz and elbow grease to it:

JAB, that is a very nice looking revolver. I have a 930 that is very similar to yours except mine has a shorter barrel and a different cylinder release pin. It doesn't look quite as bad as your before pic, but it definitely doesn't look as good as the after pic. I think maybe I'll have to take the Flitz to mine too. :up:

JAB that cleaned up great. Flitz is really some handy stuff, did you use the pre applied pads or just the polish on a a clean, soft cloth?

I used the Flitz that comes in a gray/silver tube (like toothpaste.)  I had a pack of large patches of, basically, t-shirt material that I had bought at KMart to use as cleaning patches.  They were cheap and were odd shapes (not always perfectly square) and large enough that I had to cut pieces out of them to use for cleaning patches.  They were just right for applying the Flitz, though.  I used a combination of those and some cheap paper towels to polish/rub the Flitz off.  Took it took a few hours of spare time over the course of two or three days to get it that shiney.  I even polished up the front of the cylinder.  When I got it, that surface was so black that I thought it was painted black from the factory and supposed to be that way.  After a bit of polishing, though, I discovered that was not the case.

I have no 'before' pic of it but this was 'after':

004.jpg