The Walking Stick Method of Self Defense

I found this online and thought it might interest some folks here.  It was written in the 1920s by a fellow named Lang who was a British officer in the Indian police.  It is supposed to be a 'simple' method of self defense using a walking stick that can be used by men, women or children.

Now, I have no background in martial arts and make no claims about the effectiveness of this method.  I am interested in the idea of using a walking stick for self defense.  At 41, I also have no desire to embark on a path of in depth training in something like judo, tae kwon do or the like - I simply want to find a simple but effective method for using a walking stick as a self defense tool.  That is what lead me to find Mr. Lang's book.  I only just found it so I haven't read it, yet, but thought I'd post the link here in case others might be interested.

http://www.the-exiles.org/manual/lang/lang.htm

Guest hifiguy

Bartitsu, I believe is the fighting style.  It combines some boxing, judo and fencing principles.  If you are truly going to have a cane with you everywhere you go, it can be used as a great force multiplier.  Principles learned in eskrima/kali certainly would be helpful when employing a cane.

The downside to trying to learn these things from a book or video and practicing on your own, is that there is no resisting opponent to pressure test what your learning.

At 40 I would have a difficult time explaining to 'everyone' why I have a cane...

Whoever wants one can keep their cane or walking stick. I'll keep my gun. And if for some reason my gun fails, I'll keep my knife/knives.

Whoever wants one can keep their cane or walking stick. I'll keep my gun. And if for some reason my gun fails, I'll keep my knife/knives.

What about a cane sword?

Guest hifiguy

Agreed it's no one's business as to why.  However, I wouldn't want to be inundated with the question on a daily basis.  I have no desire to carry a cane as it is much easier/effective to CCW a pistol, knife, spare mag, light, etc...

With a cane, one hand is always tied up if you are REALLY going to have it with you when you need it.  Just seems like a pain if you don't need it.  Granted, I could see using it during special circumstances in areas where other implements aren't allowed, say planes or gov departments.

Much like anything, if that's your tool of choice, know how to use it or it may get taken from you and used against you. 

As others have said, I can carry a cane in places where I can't carry a gun, knife or even pepper spray.  I'm 41 and could give a damn if people think I am 'old enough' to have a walking stick or not.  I like them, sort of collect them, have made a few and will carry one if I please as long as it is legal.  Truth is, I have an old 'drinking injury' that happened in my early 20s (too many Long Island teas coupled with a rainy night, linoleum covered stairs and shoes with poor traction = taking the 'express way' down the stairs) which results in one knee giving me trouble from time to time so there are times when I really do need the cane.

A couple of years ago I went on a cruise to the New England states and Canada.  Went to Bar Harbor, Maine.  Went to Boston, Mass.  Went to a couple of destinations in Canada.  The cruise departed from NYC.  A gun or even a knife would have been a no go.  Pepper spray would probably have been out, too.  No one even blinked at the cane I carried with me on and off the ship at each and every stop.

I can carry a cane at work where carrying firearms is illegal per state law (I work on a satellite campus of a small, private college.)  Even carrying a knife on 'school' grounds is a bit of a 'gray area' from what I can find.  Further, in the absence of extensive training, I really don't believe that a knife would be a very effective defensive tool.  A cane gives greater range and would seem to require a little less precision.

I have an HCP and carry a firearm wherever I legally can.  Despite my doubts as to their usefulness for SD, I often carry a couple of knives.  I am not suggesting a cane as an alternative to a firearm when a firearm can be carried or legally deployed.  I am simply thinking it might be something useful in circumstances where a firearm is not an option.

Of course, when I speak of 'canes' or 'walking sticks' I am not talking about some of the crap that drug stores, etc. sell.  I am also not talking about a thin, reedy 'opera cane'.  I am talking about canes with some heft and strength to them.  For example, I made all three of these (turned the shafts and - in the case of the derby style - carved the handle by hand.)  I believe that being struck with any one of the three would be very nearly comparable to getting struck with a wooden baseball bat.

This is the one I have with me, today.  I used a small hame knob for the handle and turned a knob onto the bottom of the shaft to help provide a bit of balance.

photobucket-4618-1362067212236.jpg

For this one, I used a length of twisted dogwood (which I harvested, myself) as the shaft.  It was too thick along its entire length to use as it was so I turned both ends to thin them down a bit while leaving the middle more or less alone.  I used a larger hame knob for the handle of this one:

HameHandleTwistedDogwood.jpg

When planning for the aforementioned cruise, I wasn't sure how well the metal knob handles would go over so I made a cane with a wooden handle.  I carved the handle - a variation on the derby style - out of a piece of cherry and turned the shaft.  I honestly can't remember if the shaft is oak or ash (ash is the wood generally used for regulation baseball bats) but it is plenty hard either way.  Unfortunately, I have since realized that the handle had a weak spot so I will be replacing it with something else.  This is the one that didn't even draw a second glance when it accompanied me not only getting on and off a cruise ship but also when walking all over areas of this country and Canada where carrying a firearm - and in some cases even a knife - would have been against the law.

Leaning002.jpg

I would like to make a few more but no longer have quite as easy access to the lathe I used to make these.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Bartitsu, I believe is the fighting style.  It combines some boxing, judo and fencing principles.  If you are truly going to have a cane with you everywhere you go, it can be used as a great force multiplier.  Principles learned in eskrima/kali certainly would be helpful when employing a cane.

The downside to trying to learn these things from a book or video and practicing on your own, is that there is no resisting opponent to pressure test what your learning.

At 40 I would have a difficult time explaining to 'everyone' why I have a cane...

My understanding is that, while Bartistu did heavily employ stick fighting (mostly of a style originated by a Frenchman named Pierre Vigny), this is something different.  In this case, Mr. Lang was a British officer with the Indian Police and he developed a simple style that was expressly intended not to require extensive training and was supposed to be simple enough that a man, woman or child could use it.  He might have gotten some or all of his ideas from Bartitsu, though, I guess.

Edited by JAB

I would take a fighting staff over a knife any day given the restrictions on a decent knife in TN and most states.   If I could carry a real knife,  I might reconsider.  

cane swords and knives are still popular; the airports take a ton of them off people every year.    Long ago, you could find some models that had a pistol as well; no one makes them now but if you look for antiques you might find one.

Wife uses a cane some, last time we flew they took it from her and "stored" it in a special compartment during the flight.