Oak down in yard from storm - Question

MattCary

IMG_0621-L.jpg

My wake up call at 6:30 this morning. 10 feet outside the bedroom window, luckily it fell away from ours and the neighbors house.

Anyone here deal with trees? What would be best way to deal with this much Oak? It's way larger than my chainsaw, so I'll have to have help with cutting it up.

Would a sawmill be interested? Someone who sells firewood?

Can you use oak for fence posts? (As you can see, I'll be replacing one whole end of the fencing; thinking of making the field fencing posts from the tree itself.

Just looking for suggestions better than just paying someone to haul it off.

Thanks.

A sawmill probably won't be interested in a "yard tree" as they tend to accumulate nails and lag bolts over the years.  If you cut it up into 18" rounds, a sign at the road advertising free wood always works for me, especially if you stack some of the wood at the road.  I don't give away split wood.

PS - looks like you need to buy a bigger saw -- you seem to have a few trees left.  :D

Edited by enfield
  • Like 1

My brother had a mobile saw mill come cut an oak he had cut down in his yard.  If I remember right it was less than $200 for the job and he is close to Farragut.  If you're interested I can get the number from him.  I know once the wood is dry it you can make some good money off of it.  

A sawmill probably won't be interested in a "yard tree" as they tend to accumulate nails and lag bolts over the years.  If you cut it up into 18" rounds, a sign at the road advertising free wood always works for me, especially if you stack some of the wood at the road.  I don't give away split wood.

PS - looks like you need to buy a bigger saw -- you seem to have a few trees left.   :D

The large stump seen just to the right of the outbuilding is from the neighbor's tree that fell last year. Into my yard, across the fence. (I was on the toilet in the bedroom for that one, I thought I was going to die with my pants around my ankles.)

I would cut it up and rent a splitter, as this would be excellent firewood for the smoker I intend to build, but this tree is way bigger than my 18" saw. (Everything from the fence to the stump is too large.)

Honestly you are growing to probably have to cut it into ~18" logs to get someone to haul it away. If they can't drive a truck and trailer right up to it you may not be able to even give it away. Sawmills won't come after one tree, it normally takes a few for it to be worth their while. They prefer it not be from someone's yard anyway.

I called my homeowners insurance company when this happened to me. They paid someone to cut it up and haul away. And replaced my fence.

Your homeowners should cover it, less your deductible of course. 

Ask around about free firewood.  I know of a few that would be interested.

I deal with selling timber on a daily basis.  Genearlly you have gotten good advise.  No sawmil is interested in one single tree, not necessarily becasue of nails, but its not profitable for anyone involved.  The fuel to come pick it up is more than the tree is worth. The tree appears to be a Chestnut Oak, which is a lower grade species of White Oak.  If you could cut it in 16' lengths and load it on a truck and drive it to the mill, they might buy it, but thats a serious amount of effort. 

Your best bet is to sell it to a firewood supplier in your area.  But make sure they have liablitly insurance before entering into any agreement. 

Your other option, if you know how to run a saw, is to go rent a 60cc 24" saw and make your own firewood.  Sell it for $50 or $100 for rick or cord, respectively. 

In the end there really isnt any money to be made when you take physical time and labor devided by revunue.  I would do as enfield and peejman suggested and just get the insurance to get rid of the tree.  Check your deductable though, you might be able to pay a tree service for a similar amount and not have a claim on your insurance. 

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

Thanks, Lumber_Jack, and everyone.

I'm planning on filing a claim, just looking for who to call to do the actual work...

I cut up the last one, and have the wood stacked in the back for the smoker project; this one is larger than I can handle on my own.

The fence is the real headache, as the fenced in yard for the dogs is no longer fenced in.

I have never heard of an insurance company working with you to remove a down tree, except when it lands on the house, car, neighbors. It did land on a fence which might be enough for them to do a removal.
Here is the reason I would not make an insurance claim. Homeowners and automotive insurance companies can and have in the past dropped customers after too many claims. I know someone who had them bundled and after a roadside claim, a wreck, and requesting a new roof from hail damage she got a letter that she had 30 days of coverage left.
A tree that may or may not cost as much as a deductible to remove isn't worth contacting them about. As long as your yard is solid, I think you could find someone to cut it up and haul it off as firewood for no more than $200. I know a guy that would drop that tree and haul it off for probably $200.
  • Like 1

Jimic had it right, oak is the best firewood around. You can buck it yourself, or find someone in the paper/craigslist selling firewood and give them the tree, they'll come and clean it up for you.

Don't worry about your chainsaw being too small, we would use 16" bars to fell 40" trees

Edited by Sam1