Having problems with converted saiga

Spots

Also, if you want short you can take a pistol grip shotgun and put whatever length barrel you want on it as long as the OAL is 26". It must have been a gun that was manufactured as a pistol grip from the factory. Because it was not made to be shoulder fired it does not meet the definition of a shotgun so it is a "firearm". And the onyl law regarding "firearms" is it must be 26" OAL.

There are several instances where a person put a 14" barrel on their pistol grip shotgun and the ATF approved it because it was 26" long.

Dolomite

This would have to be on a receiver that was made without a stock to begin with. I don't think you can just remove the stock and call it an AOW with a barrel under 18" since it was originally made as a shotgun with a stock. I wanted to do this with mine but the consensus was that chopping the barrel would make it an SBS not an AOW. I would love to be wrong on this and be able to make it an AOW instead of an SBS and save some money even though both ways require an ATF tax stamp.

Here's mine: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/76696-my-first-gun-project/

There's good info on shorting the gas system and the SBS/AOW discussion. I am glad that I shortened the gas system just to say that I did it and it was a fun project just not for the faint of heart:-)

I have read that one way to do this is machine a new front trunnion and trash the old one and attach it to a stock less S12 to create an AOW. Edited by Romad7
  • Like 1

My post about the "firearm" wasn't meant to be specifically about a Saiga. It does need to be a shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip and not just a shotgun with a pistol grip. This fact means you would almost need to buy the gun new to make 100% sure you are not violating the law.

Whether a SBR, SBS, AOW or suppressor it all costs $200 to make. There are differences in cost to transfer but to make ANY NFA item it costs $200.

You could also machine a new trunion and then make sure the "firearm" is 26" OAL without a "stock" to save the $200.

Romad, your gun looks great.

I am still not 100% convinced I like the Kushnapup or the bullpup design.. It feels great, it handles great and is very short. What is a little harder than a standard gun is magazine changes. I am sure I will get better with practice. And honestly if a problem can't be solved with 10 rounds of 00 buck something has gone teribbly wrong.

People say drums are possible but it is very uncomfortable to shoot because you have to reach around the drum to reach the trigger. And with 12 round stick mags available I see no advantage to having a drum unless you go prone. Personally I like using 5 rounders with it but I do have several 10 rounders and have ordered more of each.

Dolomite

My post about the "firearm" wasn't meant to be specifically about a Saiga. It does need to be a shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip and not just a shotgun with a pistol grip. This fact means you would almost need to buy the gun new to make 100% sure you are not violating the law.

Whether a SBR, SBS, AOW or suppressor it all costs $200 to make. There are differences in cost to transfer but to make ANY NFA item it costs $200.

You could also machine a new trunion and then make sure the "firearm" is 26" OAL without a "stock" to save the $200.

Romad, your gun looks great.

Makes sense now, had to look up what I had read and it's $5 to transfer an AOW on a Form 4 but $200 to build on a Form 1 like you said.  Therein lies my confusion.

And thanks, I'm still doing little things here and there but these things are fun to tinker with!

OP. I worked at TGI for some time. We got in a lot of Saigas that needed warranty work. Lots of rifles had the proplem like your rifle has. Just switch out the trigger/hammer spring for a new one. Will clear it right up.

You won't have to switch out any FCG components. The leg of that spring just wants to go in that direction. Bending it will just be a temporary fix. Eventually it will do it again.

If you are in E. Tenn, call TGI. That a bunch of new AK trigger/hammer springs.