Complete novice to concealed carry

Guest DylisTN

Guest DylisTN

I've always had a handgun and carried in My car when I lived in FL. Just now got a TN hand gun carry permit so I could carry in my car.

Now considering (have been for about 3 months) concealed carry. Been researching and asking questions on this forum.

I'm down to Kel-Tec pocket pistols. (Kel-Tec for price, and reputation for service, Life time warranty . . .)

PF9

P11

P3At

I'm not comfortable with a waist carry, So I'll need a pocket gun

Like the 9mm Nato round as opposed to the 380 auto just because of the power. But the 380 auto is .77 inches wide and the P11 1 inch. The PF9 is in between.

P11

Things I like: 9mm Nato round, availability of high cap mags, Mags reasonable and available on gunbroker, can add tritium night sites for $85.

Don't like: Largest of the 3

P3AT

Things I like: Smallest of the 3 , can be carried in back pocket in a wallet like holster

Don't like: weaker, but still adequate round

P9

Things I like: 9mm Nato round, Smaller than the P11, Accessory rail ( How likely am I to use this?)

Don't like: Larger than the P3At

I'm looking for opinions on the trade offs between these 3 models.

From folks who have experience with these guns.

In practice

, how significant are the size differences?

, How practical is it to carry a 9mm in your pocket?

, other considerations.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Also thanks for previous advice

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most important thing...how easy is that pocket 9 to shoot? The p3At is quite the handful with the .380 round. The 9mm would kinda suck to shoot. Out of those short barrels you might want to look a little harder at the .380

...it isn't the weak round that people make it out to be....closest comparison would be a .38 special.

, how significant are the size differences?

, How practical is it to carry a 9mm in your pocket?

, other considerations.

The PF9 vs. the P3AT is going to be tough since they are similar is size and type, with the PF9 being just a tad larger.

Based on personal experience, as well as the many we have put in the hands of people, the PF9 carries as well as the smaller P3AT and gives the added benefit of a larger caliber. The only trade off is that it is heavier since it is larger and since 9mm is heavier than .380acp.

That being said I would still vote for the PF9 over the P3AT for a "main carry" pistol.

For back up of another large(er) caliber pistol I would vote for the P3AT.

Let's analyze this - the likely hood is that you are not going to need it. Also the likely hood is that the "fight" is going to be withing 7 to 10 feet. (not yards) if you do have to deploy it. Also, the likelihood is that you will not have to fire a shot. Also, the likelihood is that if you do fire a shot and you hit what you are aiming at (pointing in this case because of the distance) a .380 will do just as well as a 9mm at making the bad guy think twice about continuing his actions.

That being said, I carry 9mm in ALL of my guns. I don't have a pocket pistol yet but when I do I will probably go with the PF9. I like the thought of only having one caliber to keep up with should the SHTF and I need to protect my home from Zombies.

Guest Phantom6
jwp wrote: -> Based on personal experience, as well as the many we have put in the hands of people, the PF9 carries as well as the smaller P3AT and gives the added benefit of a larger caliber. The only trade off is that it is heavier since it is larger and since 9mm is heavier than .380acp.

Yeah, what he said. The PF9 is likely to be a tad easier to hold onto in a white knuckle rapid fire situation depending upon the size of your hands. Just a few oz. difference in weight and less than an inch each way. With the PF9 you get a bit more bang for your buck 'cause the price is pretty much the same unless you want the chrome model. I had one in the shop the other day. In - out.:D

Guest DylisTN
I've never heard of 9mm Nato before. What is that?

9X19 standard NATO handgun gun round. Sorry, I shoot 9X18 Makarov. And, have allways refered to the standard 9mm as 9mm Nato.

Edited by DylisTN
Guest DylisTN
The PF9 vs. the P3AT is going to be tough since they are similar is size and type, with the PF9 being just a tad larger.

Based on personal experience, as well as the many we have put in the hands of people, the PF9 carries as well as the smaller P3AT and gives the added benefit of a larger caliber. The only trade off is that it is heavier since it is larger and since 9mm is heavier than .380acp.

That being said I would still vote for the PF9 over the P3AT for a "main carry" pistol.

For back up of another large(er) caliber pistol I would vote for the P3AT.

I plan on getting in there to try these out. Do you have all 3 as rentals?

Guest Ranger Rick
Let's analyze this - the likely hood is that you are not going to need it. Also the likely hood is that the "fight" is going to be withing 7 to 10 feet. (not yards) if you do have to deploy it. Also, the likelihood is that you will not have to fire a shot. Also, the likelihood is that if you do fire a shot and you hit what you are aiming at (pointing in this case because of the distance) a .380 will do just as well as a 9mm at making the bad guy think twice about continuing his actions.

That being said, I carry 9mm in ALL of my guns. I don't have a pocket pistol yet but when I do I will probably go with the PF9. I like the thought of only having one caliber to keep up with should the SHTF and I need to protect my home from Zombies.

Guess I come down on this side too. :D

9mm is cheaper to purchase, not quite as much kick as a larger caliber... so is easier to shoot, fair stopping power-especially with JHP... and there is something to be said for using fewer types of ammo. :P

think my 12 gauge with buckshot will also help with the zombies! ;)

As has been noted earlier, you will probably never need to present your pistol and, if you do, you will possibly not even need to press the trigger. The presence of the gun alone may be enough to deter the threat at hand.

If it's not, then IMHO, it all comes down to shot placement much more so than the difference in a 9x17 round or a 9x19 round....85 or 90 grain bullet vs. a 115 grain bullet. Shot placement is king even if you were pocket carrying a .45.

As to the P3AT, bear in mind it's not a range gun or a plinker. It's a pistol you'll carry a lot, but shoot a little.

As always....this is my :up: and your mileage may vary.

Get which ever is in stock at the time of purchase! KT's have a problem with keeping the stocks up.Dont know why,but it happens!

Theres not much difference between the 9mm,and the .380 with stopping power.The .380 is nothing more then a 9mm short.A little less powerful but you are talking close ranges.

I carry the P-32 on occasion.I bought it simply because its the only model I could find at the time.But the payoff to carrying it versus the p3at is an extended mag.A few more rounds and a much better grip.