I just don't understand

LI0NSFAN

I was at a store when Erik Ainge came in to do some shopping. It was like the greatest person on earth walked in. Customers stopped and stared, asked for autographs, told him they were his hero. That was the point I got upset, hero, really. This was a guy who was suspended for substance abuse as a rookie, on injured reserve, put on the PUP list, admitted to a drug rehab facility. He never stepped on the field as a pro, not even sure if he ever even dressed for a game. I just don't understand why he is held in such a class as hero. To me a hero is people who protect and save lives. I had a similar life as Erik and I would NEVER allow someone to tell me I was their hero, I would be polite and suggest the go let a fireman or police officer know how much they appreciate the service they provide. I did play college football, I did not go to the NFL. After tearing off my Achilles, I was able to play 2 years of arena football, and had a radio show after leaving football. I had some fans, but they were not as extreme as his. Sorry if this is just a personal rant that makes no sense, most people I asked about Erik saw him as one of the greatest QB's to play the game. I just don't understand.

Edit: should have prefaced this with, I am in a bad mood today. I apologize if I go off on rants today. I need to go to the range, it has been a while. Edited by STAHDKnoxville
Not to rag on any sports nuts or athletes by any means but why do people embrace sports and the players like that?

I have friends that don't know their own kids birth dates or their anniversary. They can't do basic math or speak a full sentence without mutilating the english language. Yet, they can recite every stat and game ever played by their favorite team or player. They get upset over draft picks but have no clue what is going on in their Country.

I don't understand it either.

I grew up in a time when college and professional athletes were worthy of admiration and respect. They embodied excellence, hard work, and perseverance. They were role models for youth and deservedly so. Not so today. While there are a few, they seem to be the exception now rather than the norm. And when someone like Tim Tebow comes along, a man who lives his Christian convictions, what does he get from the media and football fans? Scorn and ridicule. I was truly embarrassed for him when he was taking all the abuse that the lowlifes were dishing out. Then look at someone like Chris Dorner, who is being presented as some kind of hero by the unhinged left media.

What's going on in organized sports today is merely a reflection of what we value as a society. The confusion of the masses is great.

Edited by daddyo
  • Like 1

Fame, people want a little piece of it.. It had nothing to do with him being their hero

Heroes are people like the small town cop from BFE TN that barely makes enough money to feed his family and still goes to work on the weekends for free just to make sure that people have someone to call during an emergency. Or the multitudes of EMS workers that have to hold down 2-3 jobs because they only get paid $10/hour.

People just get stupid over famous people, not sure if it's because they want to relate to someone outside of their bubble or what... But as you said, it is completely silly

• Like 1

Heroes are people like the small town cop from BFE TN that barely makes enough money to feed his family and still goes to work on the weekends for free just to make sure that people have someone to call during an emergency. Or the multitudes of EMS workers that have to hold down 2-3 jobs because they only get paid $10/hour.

These people are real heroes. Edited by STAHDKnoxville

As a life long UT fan (might be a closet fan at the moment) I never thought that Ainge was that good anyway.  I thought that he was a decent quarterback but I would not call him exceptional as far as Tennessee quarterbacks go by any means.  People get too wrapped up in sports.  I enjoy watching football but my mood for the week, or even the evening is not going to be determined by the outcome of a game other people are playing.  If my team wins great, if not then what have I lost?  As a nation we would be in much better shape if people got half as excited about politics as they did sports.