Crappie Fishing

Anyone besides me been out crappie fishing yet?

I took a break from rabbit hunting last week and headed out in the boat to check my brushpiles and stake beds. Water temp was 44 degrees, Sunny, air temp 61and a slight breeze was blowing. I fished about 2 foot deep over brush in 6 foot of water. Caught a few dink males over the brush piles. Backed off the the ledges (8-10 foot) and slowed retrieved some roadrunner jigs with red head and Chartreuse tubes. Picked up a couple slab females and some damn fine white bass!

When that water hits 48 to 52 degrees, it will be GAME ON for those slab crappie!

The weather next week may back them off the structure into deeper water, but that's ok. Will be rabbit hunting anyways.

Pretty days are coming!

Dave S

Guest Fruit jar

I'm on the road to much right now. In 3 weeks I'll be taking 3 day weekends for 2 months. I'll be fishing Pickwick and the north MS lakes. At crappie.com , handicrappie and his partner have been catching pallets full in this cool weather. Joel side lines in the Bear creek area. I may head down and fish with him.

Edited by Fruit jar

Joe; you're welcome to join me (anyone else too) on a rabbit hunt in the morning. You'll need a WMA small game. That is if you don't go fishing. Oh heck, do both! hunt early, fish late!  Will be hunting the Woodlawn area.

Dave S

Guest USMC 2013

Dang!  I wish I knew earlier you'd be rabbit hunting.  I have my mind made up on some fish so I'm going to do that.  I hope either the catfish, or at least the white bass will be biting at the steam plant tomorrow.

Good luck with the wabbit hunting and be sure to post a report.  I'll do the same tomorrow.

Joe

So I'm thinking about doing a trip to Alabama in March to do a little crappie fishing. Probably somewhere on Guntersville Lake.

Anybody have some suggestions?

My Mom lives 5 minutes away from Guntersville Lake.....say hi to her for me!

I have Bass fished the bays and sleughs. I don't know how the Crappie is. I can't see you going wrong either way!

Dave S

Dang!  I wish I knew earlier you'd be rabbit hunting.  I have my mind made up on some fish so I'm going to do that.  I hope either the catfish, or at least the white bass will be biting at the steam plant tomorrow.

Good luck with the wabbit hunting and be sure to post a report.  I'll do the same tomorrow.

Joe

Joe, I would fish the mouth of the canal where it empties into the river. Around the bridge (opposite the parking lot) is good for White Bass also.

dave S

pole n tacklebox been in the car all winter just in case i encounter traffic & there's more than ditch water standin nearby. i been feelin a mighty good itch to get out there again. come on spawnin!

I'm gonna have to get some of ya'll out fishing! LOL!

Dave S

Guest Fruit jar

The 4 of us caught the limit on crappie at Pickwick yesterday, Indian creek. 20 foot deep, 1/4 oz. jigs, red and chartruse. Stop and go on the slow troll.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fruit jar

Raoul, Check out crappie.com , go to forum, scroll down to MS, click on it. look for a post made by Handicrappie, Wackem and Stackem, Handi style, 2/24/13. Sardis has been booming all winter.

Edited by Fruit jar
  • 3 weeks later...

I just yanked this outta the Harpeth last Friday, 2nd cast of the season haha

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5434]

Not two minutes after puttin this little bit back in I snatched up a nigh on close to 20in probably 7lb bass Beast that snapped my 10lb braidline & stole that dang bait. 

Wife saw it so I can't even lie & say it was bigger.

• Like 1