cass creek coyote call?

so my father in law has lost 2 baby goats and a 3rd one was attacked a few days ago, but the coyote got scared off by my mother in law before it could kill the 3rd one. so needless to say we need to do some coyote hunting on his property. He works 12 hour days and works just about every weekend to, with an occasional sunday off, so he has recruited me to take care of the problem. 

Ive never hunted coyote before, but i do deer hunt so Im not completely clueless to hunting. I started looking around for a decent coyote specific entry level caller. I ended up getting this

http://www.casscreek.com/store/p/359-Mega-Amp-Coyote-Call.aspx

the reviews are good for it, so i decided to give it a go. I didnt want to spend 200+ on a foxpro or something of that sort right now just to kill a few coyotes. however if this call does work, and I bag a coyote or two and the predator hunting bug gets me, I will invest in a better call.

Any of you guys ever use cass creek stuff? input? again ive never been coyote hunting before, so any help you all can give me to better my odds of bagging one or two will be appreciated. i will be hunting out of a blind, overlooking a field and a hardwood line where all the coyotes my in laws have seen have been coming from. The goat attacks have been occurring in the late morning time from 9-11 or so. so i guess thats when ill be sitting in the blind. thanks for any input. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go out and buy you a hand call or look around for a used Foxpro electronic caller. I called a coyote in the other day with a Haydel's Government Cottontail Distress hand call. You can get them at Academy or order one for less than 15 bucks. As far as electronic game calls I would stick to Foxpro. I have had almost every electronic call out there and I always go back to Foxpro. Actually I plan to just stay with their e-callers. Like I said if your just starting out I highly recommend a good hand call and get yourself a decoy like a Mojo Critter to give them something to focus on. I'm not saying it wouldn't work and I would give it a go. I would just stick to distress calls for now. If you hunt from a ground blind be sure you can see pretty much behind you. Coyotes can be weird sometimes and they don't always come down wind. Trust me I have found out the hard way lol. Most important be patient and KEEP CALLING. Eastern coyotes can be tough and stubborn at times.

This is the one I called in February 11th I think. Here is the thread also

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/60728-fur-down/

ShaunsCoyote_zps1a1c2c64.jpeg

Edited by ShaunM
Awesome, thanks for the advice. I saw the exact hayden call you were talking about today when i bought that electronic caller. I kept tge receipt, so im gonna give it a go and if im not happy with it ill take it back and invest in some hand callers.

Is there a specific time of day i should focus on or do 'yotes come to a distress call pretty much any time of day? Thanks again
I like early mornings just after daylight. If its cold with overcast then I will pretty much hunt all day moving to different areas. Try and setup around 100 yards from the den or general area you see them coming from. Like I said earlier be patient and keep calling. I also like to stay on stand for at least 30 minutes. A lot of people say no more than 15 but I try to keep it around 30. I called 45 minutes one time before a coyote showed up. I think I used 10 different sounds. Good luck and I hope you get that coyote. Edited by ShaunM

Got one of the earlier Cass Creeks laying around here somewhere.  I used it more as an irritant in the deer camp environment than out in the field.  They are "low level" calls.  Heck, if you were closer, I'd give you this one.  The jack rabbit in distress is a hoot with 4 or 5 guys in a hunting cabin trying to get some sleep !

The sounds are not really clear and sharp, nor did my call project well.  I agree on the Foxpro or getting the Primos mouth calls.  Those things will reach out and touch them.

Yeah i just wish they werent so expensive (foxpro). Like i said i if im not happy with this one ill take it back and get a hand call or two. Anybody know anything about dillon calls? They are expensive for hand calls but looked to be of great quality
Dillon is a part of Foxpro. They bought the patent from another call company and jacked the prices up. The calls used to be made by Kettle Creek calls I believe. I bought a griz n gray call before Dillon took it over. If they make them like the original calls than they are some good calls. I still like my Haydel's. You may want to check some of the predator hunting forums. They usually have custom calls and good used e-callers for sell like Foxpro spitfire or Wildfire. I have the Wildfire caller and I love it. Edited by ShaunM

thanks for all the info shaun, i guess your the resident coyote man haha. so the main call to stick to when calling in coyotes is a distress call right? like a jackrabbit distress? cottontail? sorry for the bombardment of questions i just wanna make sure I go out there halfway knowing what to do

I have a Lil Howler, Cottontail Distress and a Deer call with Fawn Distress.

The Coyote respond to them but I haven't gotten one yet.

I haven't made much effort though.  I just 'talk' to the Coyote in between Squirrel hunting.

Where I hunt (Near Nashville) I hear them run through about every hour from Sunrise to 10 or so.

Same basic schedule around Sunset.

thanks for all the info shaun, i guess your the resident coyote man haha. so the main call to stick to when calling in coyotes is a distress call right? like a jackrabbit distress? cottontail? sorry for the bombardment of questions i just wanna make sure I go out there halfway knowing what to do

I do love to hunt predators. We don't have jackrabbits around here but I have called them in using it. I'm always mixing it up so they won't get to educated to the calling. I like using a jackrabbit on public lands cause most people beat them with cottontail distress. Coyotes do learn and get educated quick, especially if they have been shot at. Lucky for me and most people who hunt their hunger drive can override their smartness most of the time. You can mix in challenge howls every now and than. It's still breeding season so they can be territorial. If I challenge howl I almost always follow up with 2 to 3 series of distress sounds. I may try and post a video of some calling techniques I use if I can gets some free time. If your using a hand call make sure you make it sound like your dying, Put some passion and emotion in your calling and us different pitches. A real life rabbit when being eaten or injured will cry, whine, scream and whimper all in the same breath. Your goal is to try and sound as close and real to that. If I think of anything else I will post it and if you have any question please ask. I'm not an expert and I still learn new things every time I go out or talk about predator hunting.

well after finding out my daddy in law already has a predator call that was a whole lot better than the one i bought, i took mine back today and used the money for a mojo critter and a haydel hand call. Wednesday morning is the day I plan on going, maybe ill get lucky