Sig P938

graydw1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry one. 

Likes: small size & sweet trigger.  Accurate.  Ambi safety release!!!

Dislikes: Mine has been *very* picky about ammo, specifically it wants the ammo HOT or it will not cycle reliably.  Not a problem for self defense guns, but if you do not load your own, you may not find any bottom shelf cheap stuff that will work well in it.  This has not changed or "broken in" after well over 500 rounds and likely closing in on 1k

It could stand a reversible mag drop, its currently RHO which is annoying for me.  I can manage because its easy to operate.  At least the safety is ambi.

--------

All in all this is probably going to be "the one" for me for a long, long time.  Its a good caliber, a good size, and the trigger trumps most others as I have hand problems that prevent using the DAO stuff effectively.  At the same time, I have trouble recommending it for people in general due to the picky ammo issue above, some folks can work around that problem, and some can't.  

Of note, being a small, thin gun that likes hot ammo, the combinaion of those means recoil is noticable.  Its not brutal, or even "high", but its not "gentle" either, its at least a "medium".

The gun seems to be well made, so even with my round count it has no serious signs of wear yet.   It is easy to clean and work with --- 1911ish but without the annoying bushing and no annoying spring on the slide stop (it also lacks the grip safety, but that does not matter for takedown).

If you find yourself down my way I would gladly let you try it.

I own a P938.  The first 200 rounds were troublesome with FTF and FTE.  After 200 rounds, and using a good gun grease instead of only gun oil on the slide, it has been flawless.  I also polisehed the feed ramp. 

Due to the short barrel, it does seem to shoot tighter groups with a heavier bullet (147 gr).  The grip screws tend to back out, so a bit of loctite helps.  Currently I have over 2500 rounds through it.

I am in Hendersonville, TN and shoot at Guns & Leather every week, should you wish to try the P938 or the P238.

I love mine. It only has about 500 rounds through it with no real problems even with cheaper ammo. I put Hough rubber grips on it and love it. It replaced my 220 as the everyday carry gun. Remarkably accurate for such a small gun and cycles Federal 147 gr +P+ rounds like nothing.

I forgot about that, yes the grip screws just will not stay put without some locktite on this model.  I do not know what the deal is there.

Mine is plenty accurate with my 90 grain handloads so I dunno that bullet weight matters all that much(?).   The +p+ is exactly what it seems to like best. 

Grease for sure, this gun made me move from oil to grease and that helped a lot. First thing to do is tear it down and slime it up.

i have the p938 extreme and I haven't had any problems with it.  I use a last ditch holster with it from crossbreed (you just have to email them).  I am sure this is the perfect carry handgun for those that want a single stack.  If you have very large hands then you may not like the p938 since it's pretty small.

It's become my wife's everyday gun, replacing her beloved p238.  Shoots Ranger SXTs (which are 147gr) flawlessly...in ball, can be picky with 115gr stuff, but eats 124 grain Blazer Brass and Win without any problems.  Very accurate, comfortable carry.  She keeps the "extended" mag in it, has the shorty for a spare.  

I do not own one, but I have followed 938 since the 2012 Shotshow press release. I have a self imposed rule, to wait at minimum 1 year from the release before buying. Over on the Sig forums there are numerous posts and opinions on the 938. A very high percentage are very positive. I did learn from over there to stay away from serial numbers less than 8500. Several posts on those other forums refer to the 938 with less than 8500 serial numbers to be gen1, and those greater than 8500 gen2. Sig did make a change to improve the FTE problems. Not suppose to be much trouble with those higher serial numbers, or so those forums say.

Guest mechanically

I think I would like to try the 938 also. Does anybody know who has one in stock? Preferably a exterme model.

I know GT Distributers just across the state line in Rossville, GA had a 938 Extreem. I think they ship to FFLs all the time...

Guest mechanically

I carry one. 

Jonnin, mind if I ask what method you use? I just picked up a Shield, and IWB will be a good fit for me with it in the winter. But dang, it gets hot down here. I'm not sure if the Shield will work in an ankle rig or not, so wondered what you used. 

And, where do you do most of your range work? I wouldn't mind running into your Sig out there sometime!    :whistle:

I have mine in a remorra pocket holster.   Its actually the same one I had my 238 in. 

I mostly visit shooters depo, they are not far from where I work and when I can find ammo I have been known to go 3 times a week.   ATM, I am holding back, so down to once a week. 

If you want to try it PM me and we can set up a time.

FWIW mine is 9k serial number.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest RobThatsMe

Has anyone seen a 938 in stock anywhere? I can't find one at all, but I have stumbled across Jimmy Hoffa and Bigfoot.

Saw a couple just yesterday at Franklin Gun Shop.

They price things high there though. That had it tagged for $749.00

Do you remember which model of p938 it was?  The base prices on all p938s did go up (msrp that is).  i think that's what i paid for my 938 extreme last july (minus a 10%leo discount at TN Gun Country).

So with current supply/demand and msrp in mind, then I think that's a good price.

Guest RobThatsMe

Do you remember which model of p938 it was?  The base prices on all p938s did go up (msrp that is).  i think that's what i paid for my 938 extreme last july (minus a 10%leo discount at TN Gun Country).

So with current supply/demand and msrp in mind, then I think that's a good price.

They had two models.  Just give them a call and they can tell you.

Edited by RobThatsMe
  • 2 weeks later...

For you guys with 938s, do you have a source for magazines? I went to Bill's today with cash in hand to grab one and talked myself out of it because I wasn't able to find extra mags at any of my usual online haunts.

For what it's worth, Bill's does have about 10 of them in stock right now at very fair prices.