Transporting Shotgun in Car...

pattywak

I found some internet sources that stated this, one of which being Wikipedia, and I was wondering:

As a HCP holder, how can I legally transport my shotgun in my car? The answer I've found online is loaded mag tube, empty chamber. This is goo to go? No other restrictions on where the gun has to be ( trunk, case, etc. )? 

If you have an HCP, you can have a loaded long arm, no round in the chamber unless your life is in danger. If you don't have an HCP, ammo and long arm must be seperate

From my understanding, it doesn't matter where the long gun is. Just like an HCP holder can carry a loaded shotgun in a truck rack

Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

Alright, thanks. I don't have a case yet and there are a lot of sharp pointy things in my trunk, so I was going to lay it on the floorboard in the back seat. 

Anywhere is fine, statute says nothing about where or how, only that chamber is empty.

- OS

• Like 1

Go spend $15 on a case and put it in your trunk.  You are just inviting issues by putting it on the floorboard for someone to see.  That is unless you will be in the car 100% of the time.  Or at minimum, put a blanket over it.

Edited by Hozzie

Go spend $15 on a case and put it in your trunk.  You are just inviting issues by putting it on the floorboard for someone to see.

Why?? I've carried one in the gun rack on my old truck for years, and have never had an issue. Its pretty sad when people are scared to legally carry a gun to the range. Hes not talking about slinging it and walking into walmart, hes talking about carrying a legal long gun, int he floor board of his own vehicle on a legal range trip...

Why?? I've carried one in the gun rack on my old truck for years, and have never had an issue. Its pretty sad when people are scared to legally carry a gun to the range. Hes not talking about slinging it and walking into walmart, hes talking about carrying a legal long gun, int he floor board of his own vehicle on a legal range trip...

While I might do that in an older truck that never gets parked in a high crime area, replacing a window or top on my BMW b/c someone decided to try and steal a shotgun in the back seat isn't worth the hassle or the expense. All valuables that won't fit in the lockbox under my seat go in the trunk. OP stated nothing about going to the range but even so often I end up parked downtown for 8 hours before I head to the range so security during the day is more critical than the actual 20 min. drive to the range.

I agree with 2.ooohh above, it isn't about being scared to legally carry, it's about the hassle of having to deal with the aftermath of someone either breaking in or just being scared of their own shadow and calling police.  It really depends where you are at, but I wouldn't be driving around Nashville with my shotgun in my back window.  Not that you can't, but there is a time and place for everything.  

Go spend $15 on a case and put it in your trunk.  You are just inviting issues by putting it on the floorboard for someone to see.  That is unless you will be in the car 100% of the time.  Or at minimum, put a blanket over it.

I agree with 2.ooohh above, it isn't about being scared to legally carry, it's about the hassle of having to deal with the aftermath of someone either breaking in or just being scared of their own shadow and calling police.  It really depends where you are at, but I wouldn't be driving around Nashville with my shotgun in my back window.  Not that you can't, but there is a time and place for everything.  

Thanks for the responses everyone. As far as getting a case, I will be soon, this specific question I was wondering was for a quick trip to have some work done to the bayonet lug. I wasn't leaving the shotgun in there unattended or anything. 

For transporting I would place it anywhere it would stay safe (without moving everywhere and getting scratched up).  I wouldn't "store" a shotgun in a car for a long amount of time in TN unless its in a case (and gun sock) because of rust issues.  Yes, HCP holders can have ammo in the shotgun as long as the chamber is empty.

If you plan on keeping your truck for a while... I would look into maybe a visor shelf rack of some sort... you could always order a locking rack like they have in a police cruiser too... or if you have an extra cab, a behind the back seat rack would be an option

Edited by carter