do you carry at home

Guest GLOCKGUY

do you carry at home  

84 members have voted

1. 1. do you carry at home

• yes i carry at home even if i no im not leaving
    • no i keep it close by
    • no it stays locked up

I heard tell of this fellar I knew that liked wearing his six shooters on his hips and his wife too with nothing on but their underwear. Now that I think on it I wonder if that was only about home defense. :snore:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard tell of this fellar I knew that liked wearing his six shooters on his hips and his wife too with nothing on but their underwear. Now that I think on it I wonder if that was only about home defense. :D

:snore: I didn't think anybody else knew about that...

Yes jobs are available, but the type of schools we chose, family, and the career I have chosen is not. So there is a trade off, what works for me, may not for the next guy. I usually carry, but if for some reason I dn't, don't get paranoid and run get it. A lot of the reason I have it on is because of the kids. I try to teach them what to do if they ever see one laying around, but hell, I have tried to teach them not to run in the house too, but they still have brain farts.

Some jobs require an area. Most don't require a specific area. But getting started requires some "flexibility". Schooling is largely a matter of correcting PCness. I have friends all over the US who manage to do that with their kids in the public schools.

I am absolutely not a fan of private schools. Isolation from society is not an answer. Learning to deal with dumbness is more intellectually stimulating and a hell of a lot more useful for kids.

As I keep telling folks, the world is as it is. Get used to it.

Guest db99wj
Some jobs require an area. Most don't require a specific area. But getting started requires some "flexibility". Schooling is largely a matter of correcting PCness. I have friends all over the US who manage to do that with their kids in the public schools.

I am absolutely not a fan of private schools. Isolation from society is not an answer. Learning to deal with dumbness is more intellectually stimulating and a hell of a lot more useful for kids.

As I keep telling folks, the world is as it is. Get used to it.

My career demands that I stay here in the Memphis area for a certain amount of time, at a point in the future, I will have options. Got a pay the dues first!

In regards to private schools and the dealing with the dumbness out there, the problem with public schools, IMO and briefly, is that with the current state of the public school system is that I am not going to allow my kids to be dumbed down for the benefit of the dumbest kid in the school, aka No child left behind. Intellectually stimulating...that's what summer camp and fast food resturants are for. :snore:

In regards to private schools and the dealing with the dumbness out there, the problem with public schools, IMO and briefly, is that with the current state of the public school system is that I am not going to allow my kids to be dumbed down for the benefit of the dumbest kid in the school, aka No child left behind. Intellectually stimulating...that's what summer camp and fast food resturants are for. :snore:

I got news for you dude, smart kids don't get dumbed down by the schools. I didn't. Your kids won't either if they are told how dumbed-down the schools are. But they do learn how to deal with the dumb ****s. That's education, even if you don't recognize it as such. Private school kids never guess that lesson and experience.

Guest db99wj
I got news for you dude, smart kids don't get dumbed down by the schools. I didn't. Your kids won't either if they are told how dumbed-down the schools are. But they do learn how to deal with the dumb ****s. That's education, even if you don't recognize it as such. Private school kids never guess that lesson and experience.

I am a product of public school, I have an associates degree in education, I got out once I realized a few things, my mom taught for 40 years in the public schools, she has seen first hand govermental and adminstrative pressure to teach to the lowest denominator. I am not saying that all schools are like this either, many public schools, especially in the smaller towns are outstanding. I'm not a private school snob. I also don't beleive that the smart kids will be dumbed-down, but the opportunities are less and being cut due to budget limitations. Sorry I rather give my kids all the advantage I can afford, I can teach them about and how to deal with the dumbass's out there. You are generalizing about private schools, we have those here as well, but they are not all created the same and should not be put into that category.

I also believe that school is only a part of a childs education. As parents we have the burden to teach our kids a lot of the life's lessons our way, and more on our terms instead of just sending them out and hoping for the best.

If I have it on I might leave it on once I get home.

On the weekends I don't strap up to hang around the house.

But there is always one nearby.

If I am patrolling the grounds in the golf cart the SKS is with me, bayonet extended, I am currently working on the turret mount for the golf cart to accomodate the SKS as well. I really need the grenade for it.

I am a product of public school, I have an associates degree in education, I got out once I realized a few things, my mom taught for 40 years in the public schools, she has seen first hand govermental and adminstrative pressure to teach to the lowest denominator. I am not saying that all schools are like this either, many public schools, especially in the smaller towns are outstanding. I'm not a private school snob. I also don't beleive that the smart kids will be dumbed-down, but the opportunities are less and being cut due to budget limitations. Sorry I rather give my kids all the advantage I can afford, I can teach them about and how to deal with the dumbass's out there. You are generalizing about private schools, we have those here as well, but they are not all created the same and should not be put into that category.

I also believe that school is only a part of a child's education. As parents we have the burden to teach our kids a lot of the life's lessons our way, and more on our terms instead of just sending them out and hoping for the best.

I apologize to you if I made assumptions I should not have made. When someone mentions private schools, I immediately think of religious private school, which I consider an abomination of intellectual as well as physical learning and practice. I see them as am abomination of intellectuality.

If the intention of home schooling is to extend horizons then more power to it.. If the intention is to proscribe new ideas, then I damn them.

In all I think the concept of letting the parents set the agenda is the proper one, regardless of what I think is the proper path.

Guest db99wj
I apologize to you if I made assumptions I should not have made. When someone mentions private schools, I immediately think of religious private school, which I consider an abomination of intellectual as well as physical learning and practice. I see them as am abomination of intellectuality.

If the intention of home schooling is to extend horizons then more power to it.. If the intention is to proscribe new ideas, then I damn them.

In all I think the concept of letting the parents set the agenda is the proper one, regardless of what I think is the proper path.

No need to apoligize, good discussion, albeit off topic! I also never mentioned that it wasn't a religious private school. But that is not what this thread is about, I'm going home, I'm hungry.:D:snore:

to do my part for thread hijacking, LOL

When someone mentions private schools, I immediately think of religious private school, which I consider an abomination of intellectual as well as physical learning and practice. I see them as am abomination of intellectuality.

I went to parochial schools through grade school and high school. I don't know what goes on in TN. in regards to these types of schools but in Cincinnati they are regarded as well above average centers for learning. Religious studies make up a very very small part of the curiculum. The 15 or so Catholic high schools are head and shoulders above anything the public schools have to offer. I mean it is not even close. If you do not swim in those environments you sink. Not like public schools.

Go in the job market up there with just your high school diploma and the kids from catholic schools get hired of the public school kids everytime if head to head for a job.

Maybe you speak of some different religious schools. Am I missing something here?

Guest TNDixieGirl

I'm a product of "religious private school" and there was no abomination of intellectuality about it. We grew up well-informed and better educated than most school kids at the time. Or I should say, our curriculum was more advanced. (i.e. what I took in 7th grade, my public school peers were taking in 9th grade). Just because one attends a private school doesn't mean they're sheltered from life experiences and typical socializing and ways of the world. The only thing different we experienced was one of our required courses was a Bible class, which we received credits for. I attend church too, so I see nothing wrong with that. And we were to adhere to a STRICT dress code involving uniforms.

My son, however, is a product of public school, and a very good, solid system I might add. We moved away from Memphis when they started talking about combining the City and County school systems. No way was he going to be a part of that (you'd have to live here to fully understand my meaning). He will be a junior this year and he was inducted into the National Honor Society last year. He'll be taking dual courses this year which will earn him college credits, so if I compare his education to mine (private vs. public) there is no difference.

It all depends on the child and their parents.

Oops, sorry for my part in the hijack.

Edited by TNDixieGirl
Guest GUTTERbOY

I'm going to go against the tide here and talk bad about my high school. My parents stuck me in a tiny Christian school starting in tenth grade, and if you ask me, I think the education I got there was worse than I would have had at the public school I was at. Prime example was the math courses there; just from the "normal" progression of my public school, I was a year ahead of what everyone else in the private school was doing. So I didn't even take a math course my snior year, as there was no one to teach anything above their crappy excuse for pre-calc.

But that's not even my biggest gripe with the place. What really scared me were the people who had been going to that school since they were four years old. Most of them were planning on going on to Christian colleges like PCC after graduation. I couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen when they were finally faced with having to work and associate with people who didn't share their beliefs. Truth be told, I bet a lot of them ended up with the same sort of blind faith that we see in the rabid anti-gunners. After 18 years of daily indoctrination, of being taught that anyone who believed in evolution was a moron, surely some of them lost any ability to think logically about these things.

In my mind, the refusal to expose oneself to opposing viewpoints is a sign of serious insecurity. And I saw the way the way things were taught at that school as an extreme version of sheltering. They weren't trying to make well-rounded adults, they were churning out mindless Baptist automatons.

*sigh*

I know that not all private schools and/or home schools take this tack, but my experience was enough to make me leery of them, for better or for worse.

Guest pjblurton

In my mind, the refusal to expose oneself to opposing viewpoints is a sign of serious insecurity. And I saw the way the way things were taught at that school as an extreme version of sheltering. They weren't trying to make well-rounded adults, they were churning out mindless Baptist automatons.

Here! Here!

I'm not even going to mention where I went to school. It was a real ****hole, nontheless. But all things considered, I'm stronger because of it. I have always maintained that you get out if education what you put into it. Sending a kid to the most exclusive school in the land, ain't gonna make him mo' smarterer....

Any way, how in the world did a "do you carry at home" thread get this far off topic?

The main reason I carry at home is because I pocket carry..so as I get dressed and put my wallet, keys, etc.. in my pocket so goes the Glock.

Also it is the easiest way to keep the kids from being able to get to it while still having it readily available.

Guest jackdog

Usually just keep one close and handy. from the road to my house is 300 or 400 ft. Have the early warning system ( 5 dogs) so I darn sure know when someones coming. Besides I'm at the top of the hill. You end up here you either know me or your lost.

• 1 month later...

I keep doors locked and security lights on at night. S&W 686 is somewhere nearby (nightstand at night). But I like to relax at home, so I don't carry in house. Security measures will buy me time to get 686. I do slip my BERSA380 or 642 in my back pocket when I go out of the house for trash or go to garage however. Houses here are on 2 acres or more and there is a lot of dark space between houses.

Guest Mugster

I voted no, it stays locked up. But I do have an armalite ready to run with 30 rounds of m193 locked and loaded...every 5th shot is m196 tracer. I figure if somebody is actually stupid or bold enough to kick in the door I'll light something up.

Guest Revelator

When I lived on the 9th floor in a one-bedroom apartment I didn't keep it on me, but it was always nearby. Now that my wife and I live in a much bigger two-story house it stays on me all the time. I don't know if it's from watching movies or from watching the news, but crime can happen anywhere, anytime especially in this town. Doors get kicked in and folks get robbed just going out to check the mail even in upscale neighborhoods. And wearing my pistol isn't any more inconvenient than wearing my watch, so it's not a big deal to keep it on around the house.

Guest eyebedam

Does a bear **** in the woods. I just keep it with me. If its on my side I know theres no chance of the kids snoopin & if anything happens I got what I need. Its a crazy world we live in & its only gettin worse.

I always have kept one close, but now I've been carrying around the house while waiting on my HCP. I figure it can't hurt to get used to the feeling of a gun on my hip, and keeping it concealed. Plus it's usually a Glock so I'm not keeping one in the tube and I haven't accidently hit the trigger yet, so I'm almost comfortable enough to carry it holstered with one in the tube. I don't know if I'll keep a gun on me like I do now after I really am used to it and can carry in public though.