going out of town

Guest MrsS

Guest MrsS

I am going out of town for several days next week and will be staying at a hotel. I plan on carrying in the hotel but cannot do so during the day. (I have to go to a seminar and its being held in a college).

Has anyone ever carried while staying in a hotel? What is the best way for me to secure my firearm while I am at the seminar? (I plan on leaving the gun in the hotel room).

Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going out of town for several days next week and will be staying at a hotel. I plan on carrying in the hotel but cannot do so during the day. (I have to go to a seminar and its being held in a college).

Has anyone ever carried while staying in a hotel? What is the best way for me to secure my firearm while I am at the seminar? (I plan on leaving the gun in the hotel room).

Thanks.

Stick it in the programmable safe.

Guest readyornot

If the hotel doesn't have a programable safe, I recommend taking a center of mass case with you. Those come with a cable lock that can be attached around something solid and hidden.

Guest GLOCKGUY

can you not keep a gun locked up in your car while at a college? i was told by a LEO that i can keep my gun in my car as long as it is in the glove box locked up and the car was locked was he wrong?

can you not keep a gun locked up in your car while at a college? i was told by a LEO that i can keep my gun in my car as long as it is in the glove box locked up and the car was locked was he wrong?

AFAIK that would be legal in TN.

i would not leave my gun in a hotel room at all, whether it was locked in a safe or not. i'd keep it locked up (probably in a locked case in the truck) in my car, and if thats not legal i'd unload it and lock the ammo up individually from the gun in the car. i use to travel alot and found that most of the room maids are nosey and like to go through things...

Guest db99wj
Yeah! I wont even leave my bags in a room!

But what's in your bag could get you arrested in 47 states....;):D

I always leave a bunch of coins in a strategic pattern to see if it is disturbed by the cleaing staff.:D

If you have a safe bring it and stow it in there. I would put it in the car. Just be careful when you put it up as not to bring attention that you are "hiding" something.

Guest GLOCKGUY

my nieces works at a holiday inn and she said that they can get in to the safes if they have to like if someone leaves and for get to take out there stuff she said they put it up for safe keeping. so im a little scared of safes in hotels now

Guest MrsS

If it is indeed legal for me to keep my gun in my car (?trunk/under seat) while it sits on college property, then that is what I will do...I just need clarification that I can have the gun in my vehicle on school property. TN's website looks good about now, LOL.

Guest superslacker

If it is a UT affiliated school they will expel you if they find a firearm in your vehicle. A student at UT Memphis was expelled several years ago when his car was stolen with a handgun in it. He had to report the stolen handgun to campus police because it was parked in the parking garage on campus and when he did they had him expelled.

Guest MrsS

The college in question is Middle Tennessee State University....anyone here know what their policy (if any) is on firearms in private vehicles on their property? I will be there because that is the only place hosting a mandatory seminar I have to attend as part of my job.

Guest Rakk3187

i just called MTSU to ask the same question and its a now go, unless you are off school property, if the parking lot is marked with a color parking sign (green, or white) the school ownes it.

Guest GLOCKGUY

when i went to Chattanooga state my teacher found out that i had a HCP he ask if i had my gun on me i said no it was in the car. he went off on me and said i could not have it on school property i argue with him he called school administration they said i could not even have it in my car. so i had them call the law and they said i could have it in my car as long as its locked up now im sure if you called Chattanooga state and ask them if you can have a gun in your car they will say no even though you can

I would check with MTSU and specifically ask if it makes a difference if the weapon is secured (empty mag and cased) and in the trunk.

My second choice would be the main hotel safe, if they don’t have one I would leave it in the room. Those room safes are not very secure, but it’s just a gun; your laptop is probably worth more.

Guest janwbrown616

IF I knew ahead that I was travelling and going to leave it behind I'd make sure the room had a safe and I'd use it. (If my car was not availabl) IF I had my car I'd lock it in the truck.

You can carry a gun on any school property any where in the state of TN, as long as you do NOT touch it while on their property. I work quite a bit on school property and I lock it in my gun safe I keep behind my seat. I always take it off before I get to the school and close the safe door as I enter the property. I also take the safe with me to the motel room and take it out when I leave. I say get a lockable safe, bolt it down in the trunk if you like, place your gun in it BEFORE you get to the property and shut up about it.:D

As others have said by TN law it is legal to have a handgun in your car on school property. However AFAIK they can still post and not allow weapons anywhere on their property. But if it is not posted, then you can't be charged with a violation of the law at least.

The relevant statute in this case is 39-17-1309©(1) [The second half of it]

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.