Personal space

I know Caster, saw Him this weekend, he is a good smelling man, the guy just liked the way you smell Caster. :cool:
All joking a side, I have put my arm out and told people not to get that close, some take it well, some dont.
Not my worry.

My homemade bullet lube doubles as an awesome cologne don't it!?!?
  • Like 1

Arms length or GTFO. Maybe I'm in the same boat, Caster, because I have a guy I work with that wants to shake my hand everytime he sees me. I don't care for it. I don't shake hands when I first see my best friends necessarily, so I really don't care to make contact with someone I don't even really like. Standing too close is just a problem for me because of my job too. I don't like crowds either. I freely admit I'm anti-social though.

Edited by Punisher84

I had a serious case of Haptephobia when I was in my teens. Until I was 20 I hyperventilated every time I was hugged. It made dating interesting. I still am not a huge fan of touching anyone but my wife and kids.

I'm with you all the way. I may not hyperventilate but I do get a serious cae of the heebyjeebies. I loathe the whole institution of hand shaking and friendly embracing.
Where I work I wear those black jersey gloves a lot. I think I've offended more than one by putting them on before shaking hands. Oh well, too bad. It's not germaphobia, I just don't like the idea of coming into contact with another persons instrument of scratching, masturbating, booger picking, etc.
You'd have enjoyed the ranting thread I started a while back about touching. I got flamed HARD by the old farts on here for it.

I'm with you all the way. I may not hyperventilate but I do get a serious cae of the heebyjeebies. I loathe the whole institution of hand shaking and friendly embracing.
Where I work I wear those black jersey gloves a lot. I think I've offended more than one by putting them on before shaking hands. Oh well, too bad. It's not germaphobia, I just don't like the idea of coming into contact with another persons instrument of scratching, masturbating, booger picking, etc.
You'd have enjoyed the ranting thread I started a while back about touching. I got flamed HARD by the old farts on here for it.

I saw that thread and decided to hide behind a rock on that one. I don't normally let it known that I have a phobia, but I figured this thread was a safe place to do it. The other got you lit up so much I figured I would stay out of that one.

This really is often the result of the culture/society the person was raised in.  As was noted before, travel in Europe or the Middle East and you'll see a lot of definitions of "personal space" and how comfortable or uncomfortable people are with distances between each other.

There has already bee some good suggestions but how to handle it is something that you just have to work through yourself - 99.9% of the time these people don't mean to cause you to be uncomfortable so finding a way to maintain the distance YOU are comfortable with without making the other person feel he did something wrong is usually the best way to go. ;)

This really is often the result of the culture/society the person was raised in. 

So it's been said, but I was raised around the types and I still can't go for it. My granny was a kiss on the lips person. *sigh* dammit woman!
I used to hide in the bathroom until church started when I was kid to avoid the hand shaking, huggin and kissin. Jeez.
BUT if it'd been a pretty little lass of similar age I would have had "olive oil, laying on of hands" prayer attack followed by a trip to the wood shed.
  • 1 month later...
Well, it happened again this morning.....only, I was prepared. This guy was within inches so I clinched down and went stealth.....next thing I heard was "gaaaawwwwwd daaaaaaaayyyyyuum!"

Having consumed (last night) an entire baked potato the size of a small football topped with BBQ brisket from BB's BBq on top of some nacho's with beans and beef earlier, my biological weapons were steeped and ready.
In a straight face I just said to the guy, "That's why you should always give people their personal space".

I feel spitefully vindicated. It's gonna be a good day I think. Edited by Caster
  • Like 2
Guest MilitiaMan

My rule of thumb is, and always has been, if you are inside my reach then you are inside my personal space and too damn close. My entire body language and especially my attitude towards the person changes when they are inside my "personal space".

If you move into my space, I'll generally take a step closer to you.  Most people will back up.

faking a fart works just as well as a real one.

This is a skill I had never considered developing.  Just how is this done?

If you move into my space, I'll generally take a step closer to you.  Most people will back up.

faking a fart works just as well as a real one.
This is a skill I had never considered developing.  Just how is this done?

Hold your nose start waving it at them and say "omg do you smell that ?" Generally the person will head to what they believe is a safe distance. They will usually believe they made it a safe distance away because they are unable to smell the foul oder. But make sure they know you feel a followup coming. :D