Metro Police warn people downtown

DaveTN

I watched this on the news last night; it really pizzes me off. How can a guy be arrested 334 times, stab 10 people and still be on the street? Obviously the cops are doing their job; why is the DA not doing his?

This is ridiculous. Although I suppose now that this has been made public and tourists will be asking about it; something will be done.

This is why we carry guns. Because people like Andy Davis are attacking citizens on the street. Wait until someone shoots this guy during an attack and the news media will have headlines “CARRY PERMIT HOLDER SHOOTS HOMELESS MAN”

http://www.wsmv.com/story/21088783/police-keep-watch-on-panhandler-with-history-of-stabbings

http://www.wkrn.com/story/21085200/andy-davis-334-charges

Edited by DaveTN

arrested != convictions, so the # of arrests is not a great metric for someone like a panhandler (police do tend to question the homeless more often, I have never been arrested because I don't go downtown in rags and aggravate people). 

That said it sounds like he needs some of that "three strikes" justice, where they throw the book at him.

From WKRN-TV: 

The D.A.'s office told Nashville's News 2 Davis' most recent charge of public intoxication puts him in violation of this probation; Davis can be re-arrested and may have to serve out his original sentence of six years and one month in jail.

So why isn't the media all over the D.A.'s office asking why they haven't acted yet and demanding answers? They spent plenty of time talking about the lowered crime rate as though that made everything okay.

From WKRN-TV: 

So why isn't the media all over the D.A.'s office asking why they haven't acted yet and demanding answers? They spent plenty of time talking about the lowered crime rate as though that made everything okay.

Or how about the DA talking about getting a conviction on a plea deal that involved no jail time as if it was a victory?!? He was convicted of armed robbery for crying out loud! If more people were armed we wouldn't have to deal with crap like this because this low life would be shot dead before he had the chance to commit armed robbery or stab 10 people.
Guest Halfling

I read this to my wife, even SHE is disgusted and she's usually pretty laid back! She still doesn't care for firearms but I think she's coming around!

I work downtown and have encountered several of these individuals.  One man, who I was asking to leave, had a history of stabbing people and violent outbreaks.  No one told me this until after I had approached him, but luckily he was cooperative.  (it wasn't the guy the link was talking about) It is scary how many of these people are roaming the streets.  Anyone who goes downtown, at any hours of the day, needs to be alert and be armed!

Somebody could end up shooting this individual and then have to deal with the trauma forever. 

I'd suffer more trauma hitting a innocent dog with my truck than if I shot this sorry animal that needs to be put out of our misery.
  • Like 2
We took my wifes car to Nissan at Metro Center today to get the oil changed. As we turned right before reaching the dealer, what appeared to be a homeless man was walking on our side of the road, I was watching as we got closer to him. Out of nowhere, he turned towards us, started screaming, swinging his arms, and acting all crazy. I had our daughter and her cousin in the car. Had he touched the door, it would have been a BAD day for him. All that said, I would feel no remorse for him, but would never want the kids to have to see what I would have done to him, even though I would do it to protect them. Thankfully I don't go to that area much, or any downtown area very often.
I was in downtown Thursday and Friday for the TBA banking credit conference. While I can say we went out and had some fun at night I had my head on a swivle the whole time. On Thursday as we were leaving the parking garage a homeless looking lady started yelling and waving her arm and not making a whole lot of sense. Also on Thursday we were walking down Broadway and a homeless looking peddler was trying to sell roses kept following my group and would not stop when asked so I broke out the tactical flashlight and gave him a eye full. We had fun going downtown but it's not something I'll do often, probably just stay in the hotel from now on.

I work in downtown Nashville and at times walk to get out of the office and take a breather. While I have been approached by many homeless people, my usual response is "no", while shaking my head and walking around them. None have ever tried to follow me since I'm usually walking at a brisk pace and I guess they don't want to try and keep up. Unfortunately, my employer will not let me carry, so I have to keep my head on a swivel.

Edited by daddyo

I work 2nd shift on the edge on the edge of Les Projets  (say it like "lay prozhays" and it sounds better than The Projects) and eat out frequently.  No shortage of crazy people.  Since my employer prefers me disarmed, or rather mandates that, if I get the slightest twitch in the spidey senses, I move on quickly.  I've noticed an odd thing about the crazy crowd - after rush hour and before about 9:00, they're nowhere to be found.  Perhaps it's naptime, maybe they're hydrating in order to better piss all over the blue plastic back seat of a NPD cruiser; I don't know.  After 9:00, the professional weirdos are out in force.  That much I do know.

Absolutely rediculous, but sadly I think it's an indicator of the road Nashville is on towards insanity. Luckily I'm a bigger guy and these types don't hassle me too often. I also have a pretty short fuse with them, and most of them back down quickly when challenged. I also try to avoid downtown as much as possible, so I don't have to be bothered ... but sadly, the Contributor has "employees" all the way out in Hermitage now, and some of those idiots are just as bad as the character above.