Anyone have experence with a Rossi R462 .357 MAG. Revolver?

Guest Papabear

Guest Papabear

Been looking a snub guns. Anyone had any experence with the newer Rossi's? My wife likes the grip size better on the Rossi than any of the others we have looked at. Not looking at this for carry just something that my wife can keep close. She has a hard time with racking the slide of a automatic. I am not looking for airweight because I want to keep recoil to a minimum for her. Thanks for your time.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my wife has a .38 Rossi cia. they're great guns..many are those "saturday night specials" that the politicians rail against...simply because they don't cost very much and they work! That was her first pistol. I've shot it and found that it's very comfortable with small grips and lends itself to accuracy simply because revolvers (to me) point easier than an automatic.

I would say if it's in good condition (i.e. well maintained) and your wife finds it comfortable..then go with it...you also have the added bonus of shooting .38 through it as well as .357!

Guest Papabear
my wife has a .38 Rossi cia. they're great guns..many are those "saturday night specials" that the politicians rail against...simply because they don't cost very much and they work! That was her first pistol. I've shot it and found that it's very comfortable with small grips and lends itself to accuracy simply because revolvers (to me) point easier than an automatic.

I would say if it's in good condition (i.e. well maintained) and your wife finds it comfortable..then go with it...you also have the added bonus of shooting .38 through it as well as .357!

Gun we looked at is new so no condition worrys. I was going to use .38's in it to keep recoil low. They did not have the .38 version in stainless so thats why the .357 is the one were looking at. Thanks for your input.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I've got a Rossi 720 .44 spl. It's a three inch hammerless 5-shot. I got it used and have put about 500 rounds through it. It shoots fine, never a problem, is built solid.

Guest pjblurton

A Rossi .357 was my first handgun...ahhhh...fond memories.....

I don't recall if it was the same model or not. (It WAS 14 years ago)

It was one of those 2 inch jobs with an integral barrell compensator. Didn't tame recoil much but sure as hell was loud!

As far as performance goes. I don't think you will have a problem. I never did. They seemed solidly built then. I sure they are still the same.

The most important thing is for your wife to pick out something she is CERTAIN she will use when she has to and making sure she is comfortable doing so.

I did a little research on this Same pistol...Except it was a 461 (Same revolver but in blue) Ultimately I went with a totally different pistol, in a totally different caliber.

Convinced my self that I didn't need 3' .357 pistols. Which gave me a reason to spend more money.....On some thing I needed...

hahahaaa

The thing to remember is there all ways seems to be a few bad apples in basket.

And the likely hood of you getting one is VERY small.

Now all we need to know is how big is the basket?

In this order here are the most Common problems known with these modes. (461/462)

1. Loose screws.....(to be expected on most .357 if shot enough)

2. Firing pin breakage.....Thanks to it's location on the hammer.

3.Center pin failure....#4 is a contributing factor in most cases.

4. Timing issues.....Which most seem to contribute to shooting "full house" loads in

medium frame revolver. "Personally I don't think it would make much difference."

5. I read one report......just ONE..Where the barrel came loose.

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20312&gun=Revolver

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296031

Now if you are still wanting to know just what I spent my money on?

It was a Nice Stainless Taurus 850 CIA.

All said and done...I wish I had my

Ruger

Blackhawk

back.

It was big, heavy, accurate, and built like a tank, ready to last the rest of my life time. With no objections to any amount, or type of ammo I chose to send down its barrel.

I have experience with Rossi’s (not that particular one) and most other revolvers.

Your wife wants a gun that may be called upon to save her life, your life or someone else’s life. That is not a Rossi. They are not accurate, they are not dependable, and they won’t hold up.

Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Colt are quality revolvers that will do the job you want and not let you down.

As far as fit and feel Smith & Wesson has anything you could possibly want. L-frames, K-Frames, J-frames, Steel, Stainless, Titanium, Scanidum, and unknownium. (Well okay, they don’t have unknownium yet…. But they will :D)

It sounds like your wife is depending on you to make a decision that could save her life; don’t let her down.

I have experience with Rossi’s (not that particular one) and most other revolvers.

Your wife wants a gun that may be called upon to save her life, your life or someone else’s life. That is not a Rossi. They are not accurate, they are not dependable, and they won’t hold up.

Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Colt are quality revolvers that will do the job you want and not let you down.

As far as fit and feel Smith & Wesson has anything you could possibly want. L-frames, K-Frames, J-frames, Steel, Stainless, Titanium, Scanidum, and unknownium. (Well okay, they don’t have unknownium yet…. But they will :shrug:)

It sounds like your wife is depending on you to make a decision that could save her life; don’t let her down.

do you have personal experience with a rossi failing you dave?

My wife's little .38 CIA Rossi shoots every time and can shoot the hairs off a gnat at 15 feet. It's not failed to go bang yet...

I'm not being facetious I am just curious as to what to look for.