my 1950 Winchester 63

graycrait

I got this Win 63 a while back and had fiddled with it a bit, but hadn't shot it much. The other day I put a little 2-7 Rimfire Weaver on it and had a lot of fun shooting golf balls today. It isn't a pristine 63 having been D&T'd on top of receiver and barrel by some expert long ago and it has the 4 holes on the left side of the receiver with plug screws where it was D&T'd for a side mount. Crazy, a non grooved 63 D&T'd twice! Anyway, I am about function not about collecting or looks.

First time I threw it up to my shoulder I snapped off a fast shot at a golf ball at 35 yards and the ball exploded! My 3 shooting partners shouted, "Do it again!" I calmly told them I only had to do it once, then laughed pretty hard too.    I'm sure you all have had shots like that.  Trouble is I had two today.  I was function testing an AMT Lightning that I had put a new Volquartsen sear in and installed new Ruger adjustable rear and new front sights.  First round out of the AMT spun the 2" spinner at 35 yrds with a fast snap shot.  My 3 shooting partners raised their eyebrows at me.  Lucky twice today. 

• Like 2

If you go on Gunbroker you can see what a Winchester 63 goes for.  The one I have in its current condition, if it was not drilled and tapped, would be worth around 7-900 bucks.  I had it on sale in the TGO classifieds for 300.00 a few weeks ago without the scope and no one was interested.  If I did put it on Gunbroker I would put a reserve of at least 600.00 because some real beaters are going for more than that right now. But as it stands now I am not selling it. If I were going squirrel hunting or just had to grab a .22 to shoot some varmint this would be the one.  It also is a takedown model.  The screw on the back of the receiver allows you to remove the but stock and the action so that you can carry it in a smaller bag.  Taking it apart does nothing to change the zero or function.  Pretty cool little rifle.  No one makes anything like it any longer.  I believe a few years ago Taurus made a copy but I think they even discontinued that one.

Is there not a concern for ricochets from golf balls?  I've got an ample supply of crappy golf balls but have always been apprehensive about shooting them. 

No more so than anything else, unless there is something about golf balls I don't know?

Is there not a concern for ricochets from golf balls?  I've got an ample supply of crappy golf balls but have always been apprehensive about shooting them. 

A .22 will go right through one but where the golf ball goes after you shoot it is an entirely different thing.  It's fun chasing them around the range with a rifle.

Edited by Garufa
Very cool old rifle.

Now, don't take this the wrong way, but that scope needs to go. Find a nice steel body weaver K4 or K6 or even a V9 and the rifle will look more "proper". If you can find a decent body for one that may have glass or reticle problems theres a guy on the web that restores them.

Seriously, it'd look soooo much better. Just my opinion.

A .22 will go right through one but where the golf ball goes after you shoot it is an entirely different thing.  It's fun chasing them around the range with a rifle.

I'm well versed in chasing them around, but usually not with a rifle.  Thanks for the info.

Edited by peejman