When asked for ID do you show your carry permit or driver's license?

Guest sling

Do you show your HCP or DL when prompted for ID?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you show your HCP or DL when prompted for ID?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Verbal Kint
I did not sign the back of my check card so they would ask for ID. I always show DL.

+1

The back of every credit and debit card I have says "Ask for Photo I.D." where the signature space is. Most places I shop ask for ID anyway, but this step reinforces positive ID on my cards should they simply flip it over to see if it's signed.

Before I started doing this, I had an experience where I was using a newly received credit/debit card at a WalMart. The cashier wouldn't accept the card, as it was not signed. But then handed me a pen and told me I could sign it right there (all the while, never asking for photo ID to make sure I was the appropriate card holder) and that she would accept it. :screwy:

As for the thread... if Joe Public asks for a form of ID, I present only my driver's license or military ID. If I get pulled over by a police officer and I have my handgun on me, I provide both driver's license and carry permit. Joe Public doesn't need to know I have a carry permit, and it's not something I flash around to impress anyone.

Edited by Verbal Kint
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY
Classic Jackie Gleason. :bowrofl:I can't believe nobody else caught it............................

SHUT YO MOUF!!! ONE **** AT A TIME!!!

:screwy:

BTW, as I recall, writing "Ask for ID" on the back of a card technically makes it invalid. But don't quote me on that.

Guest Verbal Kint
SHUT YO MOUF!!! ONE **** AT A TIME!!!

:D

BTW, as I recall, writing "Ask for ID" on the back of a card technically makes it invalid. But don't quote me on that.

Never had a problem in the 10+ years I've done it. :screwy:

Guest goomba

If you look on the back of your card, most say, not authorized if not signed... or something to that nature.

I sign my card, but also put "check ID" on it.

the last two days I have been asked for my ID.... and that hasnt happend in about a year. Most places nowdays dont bother to check, or are not trained to check.

I also work security at a local bank, & it is amazing how many people complain when a teller asks for ID, even when they explain why. but I am digressing, again. back to your regualar thread discussion......

Guest ColdEspresso
My wife doesn’t sign her cards. She has written “Ask for photo ID†on all of them. Many cashiers look at the back of the card, but some don’t. The ones that look request an ID.

I have been doing this for years. Once at a restaurant the server asked came back and said that she could not accept my card because it did not have my signature on it. I told her that that was how I was going to pay and I and she was required to tkae it. Besides, I had no other means to pay. She got her manager involved and after speaking to their corporate office, they took it. If this entire transaction took over 10 minutes, I would have been out of there but I did get a $20 gift card for my trouble. I gave it away and haven't been back.

Guest db99wj
If you look on the back of your card, most say, not authorized if not signed... or something to that nature.

I sign my card, but also put "check ID" on it.

the last two days I have been asked for my ID.... and that hasnt happend in about a year. Most places nowdays dont bother to check, or are not trained to check.

I also work security at a local bank, & it is amazing how many people complain when a teller asks for ID, even when they explain why. but I am digressing, again. back to your regualar thread discussion......

I use to be a branch bank manager and this lady was in the drive thru and she didn't sign the check she was cashing nor did she send a drivers license. She started throwing a fit, I mean screaming at the top of her lungs, cussing type fit. My teller told her that she would need to sign the check, and send in her dl because she was cashing the check, well that pissed her off even more, she took off, came around, parked, came inside, all the while cussing and screaming. I heard all this from my office and had come out into the lobby at that point, she was going to ask for me anyway. So she goes on a rampage screaming the whole story again, and in a calm voice I said, I would be happy to help you, if you would sign here and I need your id to put the dl # on the check..Well you would have thought I had stuck a piece of dynamite up her butt, after a lot of cussing and call me everything in the book and a few made up things, she said something along the lines of Do you know who my father is? Me: Nope, Her: Well he has a lot of accounts and loans and lots of money here, I am going to tell him how I was treated and he is going to leave this bank. Me: Ok, when he comes in, make sure he has ID. Well then she just yelled F**k You and F**K everyone in here, then walked out.

Sorry for the hijack.

Cards are not valid unless signed. By sigining you agree to the terms and whatnot with the card, but it seems as if most places will take them with the "check ID" on them, I do that as well. Never had the problem. I also had to sign a card once at Home Depot before they would take it:screwy:

Edited by db99wj
Guest GUTTERbOY

^

Back in my retail days, here were few things more amusing to me than customers who thought that being rude, arrogant, and demeaning were good ways to entice me to help them out.

:lol:

Sorry, the more louder you get, the less willing to go out of my way I become. Talk to me in a calm and reasonable manner, and I'll do everything I can for you. Be an ******* at your own risk.

I also believe that you have to sign the card for it to be valid, but that never stoppd me from accepting one as long as they had ID like they requested me ask for.

I had happen several times someone with a card mark Check ID, then I ask for ID and they get mad because they left it in the car or flat out did not have it. One guy beeged me to let him use it anyway. I said no way, you wrote this here or the card is not yours, either way I am not taking it.

I write CHECK PIC ID on the back of all mine. Not sure how much good it really does in a lot of stores or at gas pumps. A lot of stores do not even touch your card, you swipe it yourself. I pretty much only spend money at the IGA, WalMart, and gas pumps. I am the only one handling the card at these places.

I worked for a while as a bank teller while in college. Had a lady come to my window, sign a payroll check in front of me, write her account number on the check and hand it over. Well the check was not her, was her husbands. She forged his name and I refused to cash it. Boy did she get pissed. The Mgr backed me up, even though he knew her. She was fit to be tied, LOL

Guest db99wj

I worked for a while as a bank teller while in college. Had a lady come to my window, sign a payroll check in front of me, write her account number on the check and hand it over. Well the check was not her, was her husbands. She forged his name and I refused to cash it. Boy did she get pissed. The Mgr backed me up, even though he knew her. She was fit to be tied, LOL

Man, never happened to me, but I heard stories on why banks stopped cashing checks like that. Husband and wife, wife been cashing his check for years, husband and wife have a problem, lawyer involved, divorce pending, wife still coming in to cash check! Husband pissed, bank gets sued. Which is the short and dirty on why banks stopped doing that!

Guest Engloid

The poll gives yes or no answers, not DL or HCP. For those that answered No, what are you showing, a birth certificate?