Hypothetical Question on Restaurant Carry

Guest nraforlife

Guest HunterH
I'm afraid making any concessions on laws already on the books, would only get their foot in the door of making HCPs and carry more restrictive than it is now.

oops. I may not have been clear. My consession idea is only on the introduction of new laws to be considered like the resteraunt law. I am not suggesting that we change the OC laws on the books. Just that we work to get things passed now, so that we can get them to where we want them later. (i.e. CC in resteraunts now so we can OC when people get more accustomed to the idea.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say NO. Don't give up anything. I have no problem not going to places such as these. If I feel a need to eat out there is always Cracker Barrel, LOL.

One thing I wonder. Several make claims to the thought of "concealed is concealed". So for you people it is okay to break the law if and when you see fit? What other laws do you pick and choose from? :P

:hat:

:D

Guest HunterH
I would say NO. Don't give up anything. I have no problem not going to places such as these. If I feel a need to eat out there is always Cracker Barrel, LOL.

One thing I wonder. Several make claims to the thought of "concealed is concealed". So for you people it is okay to break the law if and when you see fit? What other laws do you pick and choose from? :P

Well, I confess. I often take the tags off my pillows and matresses. Dang, I knew I should have used a fake name on this board... :)

oops. I may not have been clear. My consession idea is only on the introduction of new laws to be considered like the resteraunt law. I am not suggesting that we change the OC laws on the books. Just that we work to get things passed now, so that we can get them to where we want them later. (i.e. CC in resteraunts now so we can OC when people get more accustomed to the idea.)

Ah, Ok, that's a little different.

But I bet the majority of legislators in Nashville don't even know OC is legal so doing as you said would probably just call attention to that fact and possibly getting it changed as opposed to help getting restaurant carry passed.

So I think conceding to no OC in places like parks, restaurants, etc... just to get carry there would be a slippery slope to no OC at all.

Guest GUTTERbOY

To play devil's advocate here, I don't believe that a citizen is obligated to obey any law that he believes is unjust. Of course, if you decide not to abide by a particular law, then you should also stand ready to accept the punishment for that violation.

For example, I exceed the speed limit on a pretty regular basis. I do this with the full knowledge that it will occasionally take a bite out of my wallet. And maybe I got pissed at the cops for ticketing me when I was 17, but eventually I realized that I had only myself to be pissed at.

So, when it comes to the restaurant carry issue, I have no issue with the "concealed is concealed" folks. They've made a personal decision that the risk of arrest is more acceptable than the risks of disarming. The only real reason to take issue with them IMO is the potential message these folks might send to fence-sitters on the carry issue.

Guest GLOCKGUY

So I think conceding to no OC in places like parks, restaurants, etc... just to get carry there would be a slippery slope to no OC at all.

but i think its a gamble alot of us would be willing to take to get to start carrying in these places

So, when it comes to the restaurant carry issue, I have no issue with the "concealed is concealed" folks. They've made a personal decision that the risk of arrest is more acceptable than the risks of disarming. The only real reason to take issue with them IMO is the potential message these folks might send to fence-sitters on the carry issue.

To me the risk of giving up my HCP isn't worth the risk of carrying into Applebee's or Logan's, etc.. I'll go to Cracker Barrel or some other like them instead or just leave my heat in the car.

but i think its a gamble alot of us would be willing to take to get to start carrying in these places

From the reading the post I wouldn't say a lot, but some.

Also....I don't think it is that some may choose to OC at Logans, or Paris Landing State Park or other places that has kept the law the way it is. It is simply because the powers that be don't want us to carry there at all CC or OC.

But the original question was changing the law to prevent OC all together, not just at the places that are off limits now.

Guest HunterH

But the original question was changing the law to prevent OC all together, not just at the places that are off limits now.

My understanding of the thread's original question was if we would be willing to allow a clause in the resteraunt law (currently under consideration, in committee I know) that did not allow OC in resteraunts in order to get the bill passed. Maybe I read it wrong, but that is how I have addressed this thread.

p.s. having looked again, I think it could be interpreted either way as the wording is somewhat ambigious to me.

I wouldn't give up OC. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I did see 3 guys come in to a Starbuck's today all open carrying. A Bartlett police officer walked in, nodded at them, said hello, and drank his Frappuccino. I smiled and nodded on the way out myself. I was just kinda like well 5 of us were carrying in there, but everyone only knew about 4 lol.

Anyway random story aside I don't think I should give up the choice to OC or CC just to appease a legislator or the restaurant association.

In the geneal interest of just 'stirrng things up'.

Would you be willing to have TN Carry Laws changed to specificaly state CC, no OC, only, IF it meant the guaranteed passage of the restaurant carry bill? :screwy:

The plural implies to me (and maybe only me) that he meant no OC period in any law, not just restaurant carry.

Guest Ranger Rick
No.

I'm no great fan of open carry, but accidental exposure or printing could be (and, at times, would be) prosecuted as not carrying concealed.

+1

Yup, it's the obvious reason.

Guest db99wj

Sunday after church, me and the family went to Moe's Southwest Grill. It is a "quick serve" type restaurant, not fast food, not full serve for those that don't know. They do have a bar, a Salsa Bar! Really good food by the way. Well at the end, my kids wanted some more queso dip, so I go up and order some, looked on the other side of the cash register and there was a cooler full of ice with a Mexican beer or 2 and some domestics. About 5 total. Me: Well son of a bich!

I know some of you don't have to worry about it, but many restaurants here in my area, that aren't fast food, serve at a minimum beer. Jason's Deli use to serve beer. Many of the small mom and pop deli's serve beer. So in the Memphis area, it sucks because if you want to go out to eat and not eat fast food, odds are you can't carry. It is a major PIA. Going out to eat is something me and my family do as much as we can, that is one of "entertainment" activities that we spend a little extra money on, we all love it.

I feel that the original intent of the carry where alcohol is served was intended for bars. Bubba's Bar and Pool Hall, places were the center point of the place was the bar, with stools, then tables around that you can buy beer or liquor, and they might have some food, chicken wings, or chips and dip, etc. Not applebee's, or Chilie's or Moe's or other family restaurants that happen to serve.

Ok, I will end my rant.

Oh, and no I wouldn't want to give up OC in order to carry in a restaurant. The restaurant thing affects me more, but giving up a right in order to get a right is not the answer. Having all rights is the answer, but that is a whole different argument.

Guest bkelm18
Sunday after church, me and the family went to Moe's Southwest Grill. It is a "quick serve" type restaurant, not fast food, not full serve for those that don't know. They do have a bar, a Salsa Bar! Really good food by the way. Well at the end, my kids wanted some more queso dip, so I go up and order some, looked on the other side of the cash register and there was a cooler full of ice with a Mexican beer or 2 and some domestics. About 5 total. Me: Well son of a bich!

I know some of you don't have to worry about it, but many restaurants here in my area, that aren't fast food, serve at a minimum beer. Jason's Deli use to serve beer. Many of the small mom and pop deli's serve beer. So in the Memphis area, it sucks because if you want to go out to eat and not eat fast food, odds are you can't carry. It is a major PIA. Going out to eat is something me and my family do as much as we can, that is one of "entertainment" activities that we spend a little extra money on, we all love it.

I feel that the original intent of the carry where alcohol is served was intended for bars. Bubba's Bar and Pool Hall, places were the center point of the place was the bar, with stools, then tables around that you can buy beer or liquor, and they might have some food, chicken wings, or chips and dip, etc. Not applebee's, or Chilie's or Moe's or other family restaurants that happen to serve.

Ok, I will end my rant.

Oh, and no I wouldn't want to give up OC in order to carry in a restaurant. The restaurant thing affects me more, but giving up a right in order to get a right is not the answer. Having all rights is the answer, but that is a whole different argument.

You wouldn't think Moe's would serve alcohol, but they do. They make a pretty mean Margarita at least.

Guest db99wj
You wouldn't think Moe's would serve alcohol, but they do. They make a pretty mean Margarita at least.

The ones here in Memphis only serve beer.:lol:

I had a "homewrecker" burrito with Fajita steak...delicious! Not that expensive either, me my wife, 3 kids, the 4th doesn't eat real food yet, for $35.

Guest GUTTERbOY

db, you've pretty much hit on my major practical annoyance with the restriction. Nearly every place that's above the fast-food level seems to serve beer. God forbid I want to eat something healthier and tastier than McDonald's and carry. :lol:

Guest ProguninTN

No. Legal OC protects us from "printing" and blissninnies whining about guns. Also, I defer to my comment originally posted on opencarry.org

We should be able to bear arms in any way we see fit. This could include open carry, concealed carry, or even long guns on a sling. -ProguninTN

Guest GLOCK2340
db, you've pretty much hit on my major practical annoyance with the restriction. Nearly every place that's above the fast-food level seems to serve beer. God forbid I want to eat something healthier and tastier than McDonald's and carry. :D

Go to Cracker Barrel, good food, good price, and you can carry legally!!:)

Guest db99wj
Go to Cracker Barrel, good food, good price, and you can carry legally!!:D

If I go to the one off of Sycamore View nad I-40 here in Memphis, you better bet your buttered bread I'm carrying!

Guest GUTTERbOY
Go to Cracker Barrel, good food, good price, and you can carry legally!!:D

Hmm, haven't been to a Cracker Barrel in quite some time... though I was mostly thinking of the set of restaurants just above the fast-food level. I have a particular fondness for burrito places like Blue Coast. I could eat fish tacos seven days a week and be happy... though that happiness might not extend to those around me. :)

I have to agree with molonlabetn and though I do CC and will probably always CC only I don't worry if my gun accidently prints or accidently shows and if the law changed I would hate the extra pressure of knowing that if it were to show I could get arrested.

I want restaurant carry but I'm not willing to give up one right to gain another, we should have both rights period!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!