Newbie Conundrum

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

Greetings Citizens!!

Just another newbie with more newbie questions... I just saw on another gun owners forum that a handgun will be "finished" after 20,000 rounds and I was wondering if this was true. Being new, I would expect to have the barrel replaced and have a major "servicing" done to my pistol after around 20,000 rounds, but will the handgun be worn to the point of being worn out? Here is the quote I saw on the other forum

"- practice up to 100.000 rounds with one gun. A Sig or HK will be finished after some 20.000 rds."

Also, I am seeing a lot about trigger control. Can anyone reccomend a website or source of info on how I can help to improve mine?

Thanks for help in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Voodoo_1

"- practice up to 100.000 rounds with one gun. A Sig or HK will be finished after some 20.000 rds.

Don't know where this poster got his info, but the Beretta, Sig, and HK fired 160,000 rounds while being tested for the military contract. These (3) handguns were the only handguns to make it to the final cut. Beretta won the military contract and the military is currently using the Beretta M9.

Maybe this guy just doesn't like Sigs, or Hks, but he shouldn't make false statements about (2) quality handguns.

Guest bazookazilla

at what point does a handgun need to be replaced? 50,000 shot fired? 100,000 shots fired? Sorry to sound stupid, but I really have no idea.

Guest jackdog

I would expect that any quality fire arm could go 100,000 rounds with out a lot of difficulty. after that you may need to replace a couple of springs, perhaps even a barrel. But used up that's just a dumb statement to me.

Every mechanical device has a limited useful life... some are longer than others. Most of the time, proper maintenance can make a device last much longer than thought possible.

In terms of firearms, pistols specifically, one must consider the weak point of the given design... for example:

The Beretta 92/96/98 series weak-point is arguably the locking-block mechanism, which withstands the initial force of each shot by holding the barrel and slide together through leverage. These eventually crack and break, the older ones after sometimes less than 30,000rd... the newer ones have a much longer life-span.

Cut or button rifling in barrels, especially stainless steel barrels (softer than chrome-moly or carbon steel), wears down after many rounds... but are generally still serviceable up to 100,000rd. Carbon steel, chrome-lined, and polygonal-rifled barrels tend to last much longer, as already noted.

IMHO, the weakest part of any semi-auto pistol are the springs and small parts with close tolerances which undergo friction, bending, and heat... Those such as the sear and disconnector, as they wear out, the gun will tend to function less reliably, or fail to engage. Springs lose their tension relatively quickly, especially when heated and cycled to their extents quickly and repeatedly. The life of these parts is directly related to the quality of the materials used, and the precision which which they were originally fitted together. It is ideal to replace springs every 20-30k rounds.

But, if a gun is properly maintained throughout it's use... changing springs, refitting critical small parts, proper lubrication, use of proper ammo, and periodic inspection; the life of most modern pistols is well in excess of 200,000rd.

That's more than I can afford to shoot in just a few years!

Both Sig and H&K are very high-quality brands which must qualify military durability testing... There is no question that they are some of the best and most durable pistols available, with life-spans of far greater than just 20,000 or 30,000 rounds. Though, just like any pistol, they do benefit from maintenance at regular intervals.

If one were to take a pistol and shoot it without cleaning or maintenance, it may well last over 100,000rd... but by then would likely be so deteriorated so as to be nearly useless after that.