Thoughts on the new Kahr CW380

Tennjed

Looks like new for 2013 is the Kahr CW380.  MSRP $419, so it should run about $350 like the other CWs.  I think it may be on my short list

Caliber: .380 ACP
 Capacity: 6+1
 Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
 Barrel: 2.58", Conventional Rifling, 1 - 16 right-hand twist
 Length O/A: 4.96"
 Height: 3.9"
 Slide Width: .75"
 Weight: Pistol 10.2 ounces (w/o magazine)
Grips: Textured polymer
 Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
 Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide
 Magazine: 1 - 6 rd, Stainless

Truthfully, it's about 4 years too late. Ruger and Keltec have filled so many pockets and purses with products there isn't to many left wanting to buy. I think Kahr could have racked in he money with cm380's/9/40/45 a lot earlier. Instead they have some expensive models that 95% of gun buyers care nothing about, a TP45 for example.
  • Like 1

Quite a few people in America turn 21 every day, ya know. :)

- OS

Thats a good point, but unfortunately I don't think too many are interested in guns. I have a much younger brother that is 21 and I am amazed at how broke his generation is. Most have jobs, if you call it that. It's kind of sad because in my 20's I had more money than I have now. I had a lot of toys. I was also in the military and making bank.

How does this differ from the P380 as far as the niche it's trying to fill (or target market in other words)?

EDIT: nm, I answered my own question.

Differences between the Kahr CW380 and Kahr P380 models include: the CW series has a conventional rifled barrel instead of the match grade polygonal barrel found on P models; the CW slide stop lever is MIM (metal-injection-molded) instead of machined; the CW series slide has fewer machining operations, and uses simple engraved markings instead of roll marking; the P380 comes with two magazines, but the CW series comes with one 6 rd steel magazine with flush baseplate. Lastly, the slide locks back after firing the last round – another feature missing on a number of other value-priced compact semi-auto pistols. The durability and reliability of the CW380 model makes it a strong consideration as a backup gun for law enforcement.

Edited by wipfel

I have many Kahrs , my 380 is the only one that ever went back to the factory , twice. Now it is flawless , most P380's have seen a trip back to the factory from what I've read on forums. I hope they have the bugs out.

Mine's been back 4 times.  I want to like the gun, but I'm just about done with it.

just seems like another in a pile to me.  I am sure its a nice gun, khar makes a good product, but nothing is really standing out about it.  If you could reverse the mag drop, it would get a boost from lefties, most of the others are RHOs.

Edited by Jonnin
I understand lefties feel left out but if your thinking about tactical reloads you need to be carrying a larger gun anyway. These pocket guns are BUG's or guns I use when I don't suspect trouble. The 5/ 6 or 7 rounds are to get me out of there while I'm running. I'll reload in my car or get a bigger gun.

From what I could tell, it's just the cheaper version. 1 less mag, cheaper parts, etc.

I totally missed your post above.  That answers the question.  I guess I never thought the P380 had all that "special" machining and such since its a pocket .380 and you'd be lucky to hit a barn door beyond 10 feet.