NewsChannel5 Investigates Barret?

Wow! Number one story on 5's site tonight. One round from the Barrett can take out a whole airport full of jetliners. One shot at a toxic fuel dump can affect millions of people. 

Does anybody have a list of sponsors for this twisted show! They weren't showing any tonight. 

I've watched channel 5 for the last time. And their internet link has been deleted from my computer. 

Edited by billyscott
  • Like 4
If they knew how easy it was to down a helicopter with any high powered ( and I use the term.loosely) rifle they would shit a brick. I won't go into details but from.first hand experince as a Marine Corps helicopter mechanic, it don't take much. A. 50 would be way overkill. Besides who wants to lug around a 25-30 lb rifle and that heavy, expenensive ammo anyways. I wouldnt mind one for a range toy if I were rich, but thats the only reason
  • Like 1

I just scanned over those cases and only saw three, possibly four, actual times that a .50 rifle was used in a crime. The rest were just 'guilt by association' where a .50 cal rifle was present during another type of crime. And most of these cases did not necessarily involve a 'Barrett', but just some type of .50 caliber rifle. Over a 20-year period, that's statistically insignificant!

Yeah and.knowing the quality of some reporting, imagine how many of those may have been incorrectly named .50 muzzle loaders.
Those “incidents” are suspect at best. Phil Williams and News Channel 5 is trying to put Barrett out of business. If I was Ronnie Barrett and I could find any of those incidents where a “Barrett” was not used I would sue Phil Williams personally and Channel 5.

Some of those incidents say they “think” a Barrett was used. WTF do they think every .50 cal is a Barrett?

McMillian makes a .50, Bushmaster makes a .50, and Armalite makes a .50 bolt you could get for less than $3K prior to the ban talk.

What also bothers me about this is that we see our local news station trying to take down a respected manufacturer and we get all pizzed about it and start posting stuff here, Facebook page, and start writing letters; and that is exactly what they want. I’m sure they are standing around laughing about what they have accomplished by attacking Barrett. I hope by
being singled out with no other company being mentioned; Barrett has some legal recourse.

And some of you think the gun manufactures in Illinois or New York would be welcomed here? They wouldn’t be able to tell it by that slanted one sided attack.
  • Like 1

Ironically, Frank Batten Jr. (owner of Landmark  Media, which in turn owns WTVF) was a big Republican contributor both to the Republican Senatorial campaign and to Romney for president (a guy worth $2.5billion donated the exact same amount of money to Romney that I did). From all accounts, Mr. Batten is a very conservative guy. Unfortunately, his television channel's news editorial board has run amok.

So they set up a bullet resistant vest and a watermelon. That's like me setting up a Chevy Avio and hitting it with a Mack Dump truck at 40mph, anyone knows its not gonna be a favorable outcome.

I didn't watch the second episode, just the prevues. I'm sure they didn't go thru how bullet resistant vests are classified either and what they are designed to withstand. One more reason why i never watch Channel 5.

No, they didn't.  He pulled out what looked like a small kevlar insert and basically said, "here is the armor plate with a hole clean through it".   Nice.  Never mind reality.  Guns are the incarnation of evil, and the bigger the gun, the more evil it is.  Never mind the actual "evil" in persons that every size and kind of weapon was designed to defend against and overcome.  gracious.

Drama attracts viewers, viewers bring add dollars.  It seems that nobody at Channel "X" cares about reailty, reason, or responsibility anymore.  

Ever seen "Idiocracy"?  If "we" believe this stuff, how much farther do we have to fall?

By the way, pssh! You can't put water on plants!

I love the whole hypothetical "LAX can't defend itself against these rifles" scenario. Well no Sh*t...

What did they expect to find from such a test? How do you even make a test for that scenario?

Well, we've crunched the numbers and it appears if we increase the amount of gophers on the airport, the sniper may accidentally trip over one...accidentally discharging the rifle in the process thus giving away his/her position for our round the clock crack shot sniper team.

• Like 1

Phil Williams (reporter) - pwilliams@newschannel5.com

Sandy Boonstra (news director) - sboonstra@newschannel5.com

Let them know (politely) that you are appalled at this propaganda segment and that it once again demonstrates why TV news is a waste of time.

How about we just make it illegal for anyone opposed to gun ownership to own firearms? The rest of us can buy whatever the hell we want. Isn't that what they call win-win?

indeed it is... :) and i like it... It's exactly what they are wanting... let big standing government have all the toys and make its tax paying citizens helpless... if that's not the most stupid thing I've ever heard of... WE the people give our government money to buy all the toys they COULD potentially turn against us and we are left high and dry... 

I love the whole hypothetical "LAX can't defend itself against these rifles" scenario. Well no Sh*t...

What did they expect to find from such a test? How do you even make a test for that scenario?

Well, we've crunched the numbers and it appears if we increase the amount of gophers on the airport, the sniper may accidentally trip over one...accidentally discharging the rifle in the process thus giving away his/her position for our round the clock crack shot sniper team.

I'd like to see someone try to take out a jetliner with a .50. Ain't gonna happen unless you shoot the pilot, and that can be done with just about any high powered rifle out there. That is, of course, if you're the best sniper in the world or Marky Mark, that you can hit a cantaloupe sized object from a mile away as it moves laterally at several hundred miles per hour.

Shooting a jet engine is not as easy as it sounds if the aircraft is moving, and even several successful hits would not bring it down. I remember when a DHL plane was struck by an SA-7 shoulder fired missile outside Baghdad International..... right in one of the engines. It just turned around and landed.

Liberals are stupid.

I'd like to see someone try to take out a jetliner with a .50. Ain't gonna happen unless you shoot the pilot, and that can be done with just about any high powered rifle out there. That is, of course, if you're the best sniper in the world or Marky Mark, that you can hit a cantaloupe sized object from a mile away as it moves laterally at several hundred miles per hour.

Shooting a jet engine is not as easy as it sounds if the aircraft is moving, and even several successful hits would not bring it down. I remember when a DHL plane was struck by an SA-7 shoulder fired missile outside Baghdad International..... right in one of the engines. It just turned around and landed.

Liberals are stupid.

Liberals are stupid.

But but but it happens in the movies?

But but but it happens in the movies?

And that is the sad part. The libs are using Hollywood movies as examples. Pure fictional made up stories.... made up by the same people who have an agenda against private firearm ownership. It's Refer Madness all over again.
  • Like 1
Guest AmericanWorkMule

or have cars that are painted scary fast and go scary fast over 55mph

Exactly. .50 cal rifles are really scary looking and there's no reason why civilians need them. Just like there's no reason that folks need 32 oz sodas, cigarettes and obscene amounts of money. Think about how nice the world would be if we could dictate every aspect of a person's life to ensure safety, fairness and equality for all.