Decorated Veteran Arrested In NY: Charged With 5 Felonies

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Decorated Combat Veteran Arrested In New York: Charged With 5 Felonies For Possession of AR Magazines

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/decorated-combat-veteran-arrested-in-new-york-charged-with-5-felonies-for-possession-of-ar-magazines_01312013

On Sunday January 6th Staff Sgt. Nathan Haddad, a decorated combat
veteran, was driving through Jefferson County New York when he was
randomly pulled over for a vehicle check. Haddad, who had five 30 round
empty magazines in his possession, was arrested by the Jefferson County
Sheriff’s Department and charged with five felony counts.

when he was randomly pulled over for a vehicle check??

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
Guest AmericanWorkMule

one of the comments is interesting,

We aren't in Kansas anymore . . .

This is going to be a normal occurrence from here on out, and there’s not much that can be done about it.

There was a Missouri Cop that called in to an internet talk show and
said that they will probably start searching the homes of the offenders
while they have them pulled over on the street.

In other words, in this particular case, after having found the rifle
magazines in Haddad’s car they would have sent a “search team” to his
house to search for other “banned” items while they had him detained on
the side of the road.

Trying to do some research on this story, and not fining out much. It seems like the Sgt's brother is the source and is asking for money for a "legal defense fund". I'm always suspicious of one-sided stories and a request for money. It would be nice if the reporter would get a statement from the PD or at least get the court papers.
  • Like 3

It's stories like this that make me wonder just how much longer these type of things can go on before people start snapping.

If anyone were going to snap, it should have been a long time ago. But when you see the crap people will allow, nowadays,

it should make you think we should already be slaves, which is right down the road.

People will snap right around the time it's too late, and it will get more good people killed.

If a routine traffic stop turns into felony charges because of some new law against legally owned property, passed in some dark legislative hall.

And said felony would take a substantial portion of one's life, in the form of imprisonment, and be a prohibited person for the remainder of said life.

How long before "I was in fear for my life" becomes the normal response to blue lights?

• Like 1

Has it been 30 days since that law was enacted? They might be jumping the gun. There was also part of that law that stated

owners had a year to get rid of them to out of state buyers, or have them converted, or something to that effect. Anyway, I

wonder how an empty mag is a felony?

That's about as stupid as passing a law against a woman having a nail file in her pocketbook.

Guest 556or762
Thee have been other societies in the past that made random checks of citizens, most that were randomly checked/searched were then imprisoned for crimes against the state. As I recall several million were then marched into camps in the middle of nowhere without any contact with the outside world so they could not share their dissent with others. I also remember several million somehow came up missing and that society didn't realize what was happening till it was too late. I'm just throwing that out there for what its worth, history is a great teacher, follow the history of any great empire and you are seeing the future as well.

when he was randomly pulled over for a vehicle check??

He was in a parking lot of a business that was closed. When approached by a Police Officer and asked what he was doing, he said he was meeting someone to sell some AR-15 magazines.

He has said he is not proclaiming innocence. He said he thought he was selling something legal, and it turned out it wasn’t. He said he was arrested and charged and “It is what it is”.

So he wasn’t randomly pulled over for a vehicle check, and although it may be a bad law, he should have known the law. He may be the test case to challenge the validity of the law.

People are already snapping. That's one of the reasons why our lifestyle is getting so much attention.

Agreed. As these people “snap” they will either be demonized and have their HCP’s taken away as in the case we just saw, or if they go far enough they will be painted as domestic terrorists, used as example for gun control, and locked away in prison.
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Can you enlighten others with a link to your source, as most of us do, or are you omniscient?

source.jpg

He was in a parking lot of a business that was closed. When approached by a Police Officer and asked what he was doing, he said he was meeting someone to sell some AR-15 magazines.

He has said he is not proclaiming innocence. He said he thought he was selling something legal, and it turned out it wasn’t. He said he was arrested and charged and “It is what it is”.

So he wasn’t randomly pulled over for a vehicle check, and although it may be a bad law, he should have known the law. He may be the test case to challenge the validity of the law.

No matter how you slice it, turning someone into a felon for possessing a spring, piece of plastic and a small piece of aluminum is absolutely crazy. These aren't exactly bomb components here. This is the kind of crap that happens in Europe and we laugh about what a police state they live in. This is insanity.
  • Like 2

I feel bad for this guy but is should be obvious by now that New York is almost effectively "off limits" to all who own a firearm...their laws are so draconian that if I currently lived in NY I'd have moved already (or would have at least moved ALL my firearms and related items out of the state).

I agree with Dave (wonder of wonders)...bad law but he should have known better.

I hope it works out Okay for him.

No matter how you slice it, turning someone into a felon for possessing a spring, piece of plastic and a small piece of aluminum is absolutely crazy. These aren't exactly bomb components here. This is the kind of crap that happens in Europe and we laugh about what a police state they live in. This is insanity.

I don’t know if this is a legitimate site or not, but his brother is asking for donations for a legal defense fund.

Neither he nor his brother is arguing that he was arrested because he broke the law. So obviously unless the DA decides not to prosecute, or he makes a deal with the DA; this will be a test case.

http://www.gofundme.com/1tkukc

I don’t know if this is a legitimate site or not, but his brother is asking for donations for a legal defense fund.
Neither he nor his brother is arguing that he was arrested because he broke the law. So obviously unless the DA decides not to prosecute, or he makes a deal with the DA; this will be a test case.

http://www.gofundme.com/1tkukc

I'm going to make a prediction that he will take a plea deal so that the state can sweep this under the rug before it gets too much press and the guy will probably jump at the chance to take a misdemeanor and not risk becoming a felon. Seems to be the MO when an otherwise law abiding person gets rolled up for violating their silly laws which do ABSOLUTELY nothing to curb crime.

If they spent half as much effort going after actual criminals as opposed to criminalizing law abiding citizens they might actually put more bad people in prison.
  • Like 1
Guest AmericanWorkMule

oh, wow. a much better article

your Google Fu is impressive

Now it seems like the dude should've know better,

and since David Gregory got away with it, even though he knew better,

he should pay the vet's legal bills :up:

Sure.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2013/feb/1/miller-ny-vet-arrested-30-round-magazines-part-1/

Was he a resident there or just passing thru? 

Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[7]

Under this provision, someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloadedhandgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that the individual did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.

See 18 USC § 926A http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

this is also interesting... and New York is totally going against it

Registry prohibition The Act also forbade the U.S. Government agency from keeping a registry directly linking non-National Firearms Act firearms to their owners, the specific language of this law (Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926) being: No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

Edited by carter