Banking in the 1920's (Those were the days)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool article! My mother and my wife have both been victims of bank robberies and I have wanted to do that very same thing. In my mother's case the bank president shot the guy in the butt as he was exiting the back door.

We'd be fired on the spot for interfering with a bank robber these days. The bank doesn't have a problem with clients carrying but we are not allowed to carry as employees. Not that I'd shoot someone over money these days since it's all insured, but it'd be a nice option to have if they decided to eliminate witnesses!

It's standardized across all banks to not interfer and just give them what they want. Normally they just pass a note asking for $2k. Give it to them and just be a good witness. The money is insured anyway. Only put up a struggle if and when it is evident that someone's life is about to be taken.
It's become common knowledge that a not is all tha is needed, no reason to even have a weapon. It's honestly so much better this way. The FBI has a tremendous case closure rate when it comes to bank robberies, slowly the amount of them is starting to decreases year to year.

My grandfather always shared a story about a bank robbery in downtown Chattanooga back in the 60's. Apparently the FBI office was on the second floor above the bank. I don't remember how it went down but it was believed that a agent walk right through the lobby not even realizing what was going on.

There was a bank robbery in Little Rock about two or three years ago on Christmas Eve and the teller was murdered.  Of course the case was solved pretty quick, but still that didn't do anything for the family of the young man killed.  The branch did not have an armed guard.

Just recently two bank robbers shot a customer in the parking lot of a bank and then were later fired on at a Kroger gas pump by a customer in Little Rock.

I think i'll keep my gun on me when i go to the bank.

There was a bank robbery in Little Rock about two or three years ago on Christmas Eve and the teller was murdered.  Of course the case was solved pretty quick, but still that didn't do anything for the family of the young man killed.  The branch did not have an armed guard.

Just recently two bank robbers shot a customer in the parking lot of a bank and then were later fired on at a Kroger gas pump by a customer in Little Rock.

I think i'll keep my gun on me when i go to the bank.

This is the only reason I'd like to carry at work. I have to walk into the bank in the morning and out of the bank at night to my car. This is the time most banks are robbed.

Man, this is a sore subject with me. My 21 year old daughter was threatened with death if she did not open the Arsenal Credit Union safe in one minute flat. They tied all three employees with nylon wire straps in an isolated room and fortunately left after a $200,000.00 payday.

It was in Cahokia, Illinois so you know your rights with self defense.

It used to be that banks were not Federally-insured, and that money in the bank had real value.  So, when a bank was robbed, EVERYONE who had money in the bank was being robbed!  Bank robbery was a very high-profile crime, but also very dangerous.  The James-Younger Gang ended it's career when every one of it's members was either killed or wounded in Northfield, MN trying to rob a bank.

Now, folks don't care about bank robberies unless they are in the middle of one.  Like the poster above said, it's insured, so who cares.  We probably have MORE bank robberies now because the risk is so much lower than it used to be.  I could not find stats on THAT, but eh FBI bank stats for 2011 are interesting reading:

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/bank-crime-statistics-2011/bank-crime-statistics-2011

I seem to think we have less bank robberies. I'm not going to go into details since its to my advantage with a wife in banking and me myself in law enforcement but their are some great techniques nowadays to capture bank robbers. It's very rare to not close a bank robbery case nowadays. Edited by Patton