Brass question

In fairness to the source. The 1000 rd count had at least 1000 pieces of good brass.  I have already reloaded 1000 out of the batch. They put a note in that they threw in extra to make up for the bad brass.

I have been culling through the extra salvaging... just don't want to waste it if its usable. 

splits are trash or cutdown to another caliber as stated.  I can't see them in the pics, a little in the new pic but not in the original.  I thought you were looking at dents in the case mouth.

50/1000 isnt too bad for range brass sold "as is" --- it happens. 

I wouldn't place any future orders with this source.

THat's not fair really.  This is most likely LC pull downs and the seller can have no real control over that.  There's always more in the box than you pay for, just for this reason.  David sells this stuff and I always get a few like this.

Troutburger:  DO NOT throw this away!!!!!  I don't know how others do it, BUT I can make .300 BLK from those without disturbing the primer.  Save them!!

THat's not fair really.  This is most likely LC pull downs and the seller can have no real control over that.  There's always more in the box than you pay for, just for this reason.  David sells this stuff and I always get a few like this.

Troutburger:  DO NOT throw this away!!!!!  I don't know how others do it, BUT I can make .300 BLK from those without disturbing the primer.  Save them!!

Pulldowns are gonna have a few crushed and split necks. My blackout stuff is piled pretty high right now :)

Pulldowns are gonna have a few crushed and split necks. My blackout stuff is piled pretty high right now :)

My pile is growing too!

Thanks again Troutburger! Ole tender knuckles will have this split brass up and running by weeks end!
I'm getting pretty good at it. God knows I paid dues in pain sweat and blisters to do so!

......no comments from you mike! LOL

My pile is growing too!

Thanks again Troutburger! Ole tender knuckles will have this split brass up and running by weeks end!
I'm getting pretty good at it. God knows I paid dues in pain sweat and blisters to do so!

......no comments from you mike! LOL

what are you using?  I was cutting up brass for another caliber with a plumber's tube cutter, then using a case trimmer on the result.  The cutter was used with the case locked in a cordless drill via a lee case trimmer base.  It was fast, simple, and not too hard on the hands to do this, though the cut is sloppy the trimmer takes it the rest of the way down to size and evens it up.

what are you using?  I was cutting up brass for another caliber with a plumber's tube cutter, then using a case trimmer on the result.  The cutter was used with the case locked in a cordless drill via a lee case trimmer base.  It was fast, simple, and not too hard on the hands to do this, though the cut is sloppy the trimmer takes it the rest of the way down to size and evens it up.

It's not so much whtmim doing now, but the road I took to get here.

Right now, my process is:
Remove the expander/decapper from my die and resize the case. This makes the neck WAY unrsize but let's me know where the new shoulder is. Using a cutoff wheel I hack them off and deburr the inside. Then I run them through a Lyman M die to make a .310 neck ID. Then I use a Little Crow WFT to trim to length.
This process let's me convert primed brass AND preps them for my cast bullet loads. The minuscule difference in the shoulder is fire formed on the first loading. All mine are fired from a very tight chambered, minimal headspaced Savage 110 bolt action. When I resize them again, I need only minimal lube and can push them through with three fingers on the press handle. There's virtually NO shoulder movement.

I really need to get a collet neck die.

makes sense, the method I use assumes not primed, it would not do if trying to save a primer.  Except sub the tube cutter for the cutting wheel might be worth a try if you have one handy.... I tried the cutting wheel and much prefer the cutter.  A chop saw would be ideal but I dont have one.

I'm using a Radiac wheel on a die grinder. It's FAST. Basically all I do is touch it and slips through like cutting air.
Minimal burr and it doesn't get hot, it doesnt have time. Not they could get hot enough to matter but regular cut off wheels will get you some blisters if you touch the brass too soon.

I'm using a Radiac wheel on a die grinder. It's FAST. Basically all I do is touch it and slips through like cutting air.
Minimal burr and it doesn't get hot, it doesnt have time. Not they could get hot enough to matter but regular cut off wheels will get you some blisters if you touch the brass too soon.

oh, nevermind then lol I thought you had a drill with a wheel from your initial description.