Aww, man!.....

Guest tedbo

Guest tedbo

Well, I have been tossing around the idea of getting a brace of bp or percussion pistols for a while. There is a wide range to choose from. I like 44 cal,but REALLY like 45 Colt.

I want something that would allow me to do Cowboy action in the future.

I like stainless for ease of cleaning but I don't really see it as a big issue.

It is my understanding that it is legal to hunt deer in muzzleloading season with bp but what about percussion?

I would be plinking more than hunting anyway.I am looking to get more bang for the buck.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 44 cal,but REALLY like 45 Colt

I have a 1858 Remington that is a .44 caliber. I shoot .454 balls through it using 20 to 30 grains of the black as a propellant.

For that same revolver I bought a R&D conversion cylinder that allows me to shoot cartridge rounds chambered in .45LC.

Now mind you the conversion cylinder cost as much as the BP revolver did. But it dropped right in and shoots smooth as silk. And if I please I can shoot a cylinder of the holy black, do a preacher like quick cylinder change, and throw 6 rounds of .45LC downrange.

It is far and away my favorite revolver. :)

I like stainless

Mine is a Pietta in steel that is blued, conversion cylinder too. I believe though they are both available in SS. The conversion cylinder is specific to the manufacterer. Either Pietta or Uberti.

It is my understanding that it is legal to hunt deer in muzzleloading season with bp but what about percussion?

Same thing. Both are percussion and both can be called muzzle loaders. Though I prefer the term "front stuffer" ;)

more bang for the buck.

I think i am shooting for about 20 cents a round. Gotta be on the lookout for inexpensive balls to shoot. If you look you can find them for 10 to 12 bucks a hundred. Caps are 4 to 6 bucks a hundred and powder is anywhere from 17 to 25 bucks a lb. I think I get about 350 rounds out of a lb. Maybe more if I powderpuff the rounds.

and of course there is no 4473 involved for the purchase of the revolver or the conversion cylinder.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest tedbo

Thanks for the info! I do like the idea of conversions. It is a shame they are so expensive,tho.

I will be selling or trading a Rem 11-87 sometime in the future. This may get me the needed funds to go on with this project.

I have the 45 Colt dies from years ago that were given to me.Hmmmm,decisions,decisions!

I will need to put my hands on a few to see what feels right.

I am hoping that the group meet at Owl Hollow will be a happening thing and there might be some folks who happen to throw in a pistol or two in their range bag.

Go cap n' ball with a couple of extra cyliners - Josey Wales style

You are thinking of Pale Rider and the Preacher character played by Eastwood.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=P382tsARVdM[/ame]

I have seen copies of this pistol in gun shops before. They were chambered in .38 Special. I think the sticker price was about $429

It is a different conversion than an R&D

Hi tedbo, Yes I will be at Owl Hollow this time too. I try to bring as much as I can afford to shoot for the day. Yup I will have the 1851 Navy Colt with me, We can shoot it till it gumms up.

I'm going to the new Cabela's store here today to check on some more wonder wads & such.

These East Tenn boys are pretty informative on these pistols pay attention to what they tell you.

Edited by xd shooter

Thanks for the BZ, XD. You're shooting a .44, right? There is a method for making your own wads (you have to buy a punch and a roll of felt, but it is a bit cheaper than buying them).

You guys have fun... just last night I was looking at walkers and dragoons.

We can shoot it till it gumms up.

some windex or even water in a spray bottle can pprolong the length of your range time. When the action starts to gum up simply wet it down and wipe up the excess.

Works well.

Mark says

just last night I was looking at walkers and dragoons.

ROFLMAO, been waiting for this to happen, I knew it was coming.

Guest tedbo

Great,XD! I will need to ponder what I should bring with me.

Yup,Josey Wales style sure is appealing.

I can see it now--a legend in my own mind! Heh,heh,heh!!:shrug:

Mike, for the shoot I can loan out a youth (scout) CZ 22 (scoped). NICE little 22. I have a nylon 66, another CZ (452 Lux, I think) 22, a henry golden boy 22, and three semi-auto 22's (rifles). I also have a lightweight .410... so I'm set up pretty good for accomodating young shooters at our get-togethers, and it is something I'd enjoy doing.

With all these 22 rifles, I can make a really good deal to someone looking for one for their yute to shoot, and if someone brings said yute to the shoot, I'd be happy to discuss terms. It is important to encourage new shooters, and also important to clean out some of my excess long guns :shrug:

Bring all we can shoot. It will be fun.:shrug:

I will bring my usual I have 3 9mm. My XD & Kahr, with Angel"s Taurus & her Bersa.380. & I can't go to the range without the 10/22 & hopfully another one.

If I can scrounge up some ammo I will bring out the Enfield .303.

Probably bring the 7mm mag to see Musicman grin:D

+ the .44 Navy Colt.

post a pic of the top break?

overall length with .22 barrel is a little over 32 inches

From end of buttstock to trigger it is about 13 inches

with .410 barrel it is going to be a few inches longer than with the .22

Rossi_Matched_Set.JPG

Edited by Mike.357