S. Ala. child remains hostage in underground bunker 1 day after bus driver killed

[quote name="gnmwilliams" post="900959" timestamp="1359650071"]I doubt he'd even know what hit him if they could get enough of in there fast enough.[/quote] The Russians tried something like this before. It ended up killing many of the hostages.

The pipe he uses for incoming air and to hear the outside world is 50 ft long x 4" ID.  I do believe a suppressed .308 with a night vision scope could see him passing in front of the opening at the other end.  Plus the atmosphere in the pipe is stable, unaffected by wind and with stable humidity. The projectile will fly flat.  Once his profile is confirmed, I say a SEAL (who else right?) should SEND IT.  It would also be nice if the SEAL was a DAD like so many of us here.  :)

Perp sounds like an all around great guy and neighbor:

"The gunman, identified by neighbors as Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 65-year-old retired truck driver, was known around the neighborhood as a menacing figure who once beat a dog to death with a lead pipe, threatened to shoot children for setting foot on his property and patrolled his yard at night with a flashlight and a shotgun. He had been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday morning to answer charges he shot at his neighbors in a dispute last month over a speed bump."

http://www.wave3.com/story/20803699/driver-fatally-shot-aboard-alabama-school-bus

- OS

Yup, plenty of warning signs on that guy.

I wonder if they could pump in some sort of odorless gas to knock everybody out?

I was liking this idea until I read the other related posts.

Seems like there should be some kind of gas that could do the trick with out risk to the kid.  

If he has one Air pipe, he probably has another.

As far as sending a bullet down the pipe, it may have a bend in.

However, if he were to kill the kid, I would say pump as much water in that bunker as fast as a firetruck could deliver it.  I would not risk anyone else.  However I really hope it does not come to something like that and hope the kid gets out unharmed.

I hope they just wait him out, if he's that hunkered down. It sounds like either way he or they will kill the child.

I wouldn't want to have to make that decision. Only way one will get to court is if both live. Taking potshots

down a pipe that isn't necessarily straight is just plain dumb. It's not like one of the cops is a SEAL on a

ship. Speculating on how to take out the perp is best left to the ones who are there and know the guy.

I hope they just wait him out, if he's that hunkered down. It sounds like either way he or they will kill the child.

I wouldn't want to have to make that decision. Only way one will get to court is if both live. Taking potshots

down a pipe that isn't necessarily straight is just plain dumb. It's not like one of the cops is a SEAL on a

ship. Speculating on how to take out the perp is best left to the ones who are there and know the guy

\yes.. god forbit we discuss things on here ...

So how long do they let these things go on, before they take action?  the parents are going to be billed by the police and everyone else wont they?

That would be really sad if something would happen to the child and then the FD or PD send the parents a bill..

Dont think they will.. Joe Puplic would have a field day with that ...

Authorities tight-lipped as standoff over child hostage enters 5th day

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/02/us/alabama-child-hostage/index.html

I wonder if they are trying to tunnel to the bunker somehow, which is why they are being so quiet.  I'm not sure how they could do that without making so much noise that the suspect would realize what was up.  I really think the only option here is to try and wait the guy out.  I would think that eventually he would get tired and fall asleep, which would give the police at least a small opportunity to act. 

I think history shows that the longer it goes on.. the chances of a good outcome become very slim.

I have the feeling the little boy is gone. This man has crossed the line already and as some said.. he has nothing to lose. I just hope that he isnt abusing the boy in any manner.( besides the obvious so far)

I feel so bad for the parents..

According to the Sheriff earlier he said they are certain the kid wasn't being hurt or abused in any way or they would have already risked going in. He said they've been sending down coloring books and toys. I know this has got to be infuriatingly frustrating to the cops wanting to go in and just kill this guy.

“Chances” or “statistics” don’t mean much to the hostage or his parents, but an FBI HRT team has taken over and they have an extremely high success rate. I would think if the guy was set on checking out he would have done so. The longer he stays alive I would think/guess the better the chances for the kid are; especially if he is talking.

Since he has a TV, they are releasing no information. I would like to think the TV news would black out any stories until this is over, but of course their ratings, or their perceptions of the publics “right to know” are more important to them than the life of that kid.

Well the old guy done killed someone and you know he wont go to jail, this is going to end deadly.  The best outcome would be for him to kill himself and they find the kid alive and only tied up.

I just got a feeling he isnt going to go out without pissing the world off one last time.

I just can't fathom what could possibly drive someone to do this to a child. Poor little guy has got to be scared out of his wits.

Hopefully this guy will come to terms with what he's doing and let him go.

And if God forbid he doesn't....I hope the police dismantle him piece by piece.

They police are doing a good job keeping the media out of it. They know he has a tv down there watching the news. If he hears they want to try something he will kill the kid for sure.

Im sure he wants something. But the police isnt telling anyone anything.
I may be an optimist but I'm holding out hope that this will end as well as possible. I'm thinking that the longer this goes the more the guy will get to thinking about his situation and hopefully let the kid go. I think if the crazy old bastard was planning on escalating the situation he likely would have by now. I'd really like to see him let the kid go then off himself saving the taxpayer the expense of a trial.