National Open Carry Day/Weekend

Guest GUTTERbOY

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doubt if I will participate, unless OC when I go out in the woods to shoot this afternoon counts. I am not planning on going to the first place off my property until Monday afternoon when I go back to work.

Guest nraforlife
Open carry is not my thing, so I'll have to pass on this deal. Although, I do support their cause, just not enough to OC.

+1

isn't the old west

I am not 100% but I believe in the old west when in town guns were kept concealed.

On the trail or away from town they were more likely to be open. When working cattle or whatnot I am guessing there were no guns were worn at all.

I am not 100% but I believe in the old west when in town guns were kept concealed.

On the trail or away from town they were more likely to be open. When working cattle or whatnot I am guessing there were no guns were worn at all.

From the books I have read I think they CC in town,OC out of town and carried at least a rifle while working the land or cattle.

So the "old west" argument has about as much creditability as "ok corral" argument they use

Guest GLOCKGUY

i just got back from wal-mart and i counted 4 guys there OC and just 1 had a conceal carry badge.:) my wife had to kick me to stop laughing ;):P I was CC. I just feel funny OC

Guest janwbrown616

I'd rather have the element of surprise on my side. Unfortunatly it would probably alarm too many tee totalers out there who would call the Police and they'd have to respond and tie them up on something that might keep them away from something more important.

But if that's what you like.......

I'd rather have the element of surprise on my side. Unfortunatly it would probably alarm too many tee totalers out there who would call the Police and they'd have to respond and tie them up on something that might keep them away from something more important.

You know, maybe some people do have or have had trouble carrying open. But I have been carrying open for several years, Walmart, Hamilton Place Mall, Grocery Store, Gas Station etc, and I have never once had anyone hassle me.

I have stood right next to a copy while I pump gas and talked to him and never had anything said. (Oh Yeah, that's because I drive a vehicle that says Skip's Firearms all over it!:drool:)

But seriously, I do put my un-tucked shirt over my Sig sometimes, but mostly OC.

I know a lot of people like having the "Surprise" thing on their side, and I respect anyone who wants to carry differently than me. I make no bones about it man, just strap it on in your own way and help me fight the oppression of my 2nd amendment rights. But I believe in kind of the opposite thought.

(Story begins with quiet fiddles in the background)

If you and I are walking down the street late one night, you on one side of the street and me on the other, you concealed and me open, and two really bad dudes are looking to mess with someone, who do they pick? My theory is that even STUPID BAD GUYS would know that they are going to have more trouble messing with the guy they KNOW has a gun than messing with the guy who they think might not.

Now of course both you and I will shoot their sorry A--es from our respective side of the street whether we are concealed or not, so in the end, we live and they suffer perforation by .45acp justice......:drool:

But that is my reason for mostly choosing OC. Remember I said I have respect for any mode of carry, so don't let this turn into bashing each others choice, I was just letting you know my ideas.:chill:

By they way, Hey Jan. If this is the Jan I know....and if not Hey anyway.

Edited by skipsfirearms

I would say the whole purpose of this day and OC in general is to try and desensitize the tea totaler s and sheep to seeing a gun on a good guy.

I will be at work and can't carry at all, so no OC for me tomorrow anyway, may try to Sunday if I'm out and about.

Or confiscated.

Or worn in the open. Don't confuse what happened in a small number of towns as the norm.

I would suspect on the whole that the majority of people did not even own a handgun, they owned rifles and shotguns first and foremost. Handguns were owned by those with wealth or who had certain jobs which lended itself to necessity.

I OC when it is appropriate, and not for socially consciousness reasons. And I always look, in those situations, like I should be OCing for a reason. There always IS a reason. (Normally, that I've been told to OC)

When I OC, I dress like someone who should OC. Head to foot. It is not unusual for someone to thank me for my service if I'm in the US.

Admittedly I may be persuaded to the other side in the future,TODAY I think it a dumb idea...it will only add fuel to the left-wing-liberal's anti-gun fire...now,if we could somehow get the drug dealers,bank robbers etc to reveal their weapons for a weekend,I would be all for that...bet they are too smart for that,even though most of them are struggling to acheive moron status....the arguements,Pro and Con are too varied for me to go into in one post...anyone want to debate this in a civilized manner...have at it....happy 4th!!!...:>)

I agree, there are too many ideas on this issue. It is an issue where we all state what we think and why and everyone else is free to make up their own mind. But remember that even in states with Concealed Carry laws, there are also anti gun liberals who would like to take guns away. And I personally don't believe that concealed or open carry would change any of their minds.

But you absolutely correct that someone could come up to you and shoot you in the head since they know you have a gun, but sometimes they do that anyway. And at that point it would not matter how you carried because you would not have the opportunity to react. The fact that this could happen I believe to be a constant in this world and it will never change. If you could always expect the unexpected then it would no longer be unexpected, would it?

It is almost the same as the research that shows burglars prefer to rob a house that does not have dogs. Why? Because the dog adds an element of noise and possible injury, and they could just go next door where there is no dog or maybe even security lights and rob it easier.

If you just walk up to someone and shoot them in the head you are drawing a lot of attention to yourself, which I don't believe most of the bad guys want.

Not to say this does not happen or won't ever happen to me. There is a chance also that no matter how you carry, when your life is being threatened that you will not react fast enough or have enough time to react and still be killed. So basically how you carry is dictated to you by your state in the first place, and then within those laws you do what you want. But I bet there are a lot of people who aren't allowed to Open Carry in their state, and wish they could. The grass is always greener on the other side.;)

But you do make a very valid point which to me is this, carry the way you think is best for you. I love hearing people's ideas and opinions. That is one thing that makes the USA great. FREEDOM.......All we have to do is stick together and help each other make sure it stays FREE!!!!!!!:D

"Power Perceived is Power Achieved". Isn't that the idea of law enforcement and military? (I am not saying carrying give you any power!!!!)

I just noticed you are in Ocoee. I am in Cleveland and if you ever get over here send me an email and we can go shoot some stuff. And it doesn't bother me how you carry, I'll still shoot with you. This is the "Patron state of shooting stuff" after all.

HAPPY 4th to ALL!!

Edited by skipsfirearms

Concealed is my choice. Both pro and con can make legit arguments for why they do what they do but I think that is comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. I like the idea of not giving the BG the advantage of knowing that I am carrying so it is CC for me.

If your thing is OC then go for it and I will defend your right to do it.

Guest 2HOW
I prefer concealed. It's not really about the "suprise" factor for me--it's more about discretion.

+1 I open and cc, but I print like a mutha,,, LOL

Guest janwbrown616
I prefer concealed. It's not really about the "suprise" factor for me--it's more about discretion.

I agree Discretion is a much better term ......