Guest GlocKingTN

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Archimedes

I'll admit that I have no idea how to train K-9's, but that doesn't look like any kind of training to me.

I wouldn't call that fighting either; I'd call that abuse.

~Archi

Guest jackdog

Looks, to me as if he's training the dog, (appears to be a pup). I think he is letting said pup know who is the alpha. Note even though he is being rough he is not trying to injure the dog. Video looks a lot worse than it really is to me.

Guest Archimedes

Perhaps you're right, but I didn't do that to my dog and he knows who's boss.

He's not a K-9 though.

Woman: You have to teach them who's the alpha. You stare them down and make them look away....Sometimes it can take hours.... Then you mount them.

Dooley: Mount them?

Woman: Uh-Huh.

Dooley: Lucky dog.

~Archi

Guest db99wj

Under normal civilian circumstances, you would not need to do that but when this a working police dog and other peoples lives could be at stake, then extreme training seems to be in order or necessary, I would think.

Where is that quote from??????????

Guest jackdog

Had A dobie once, and the guy I got it from told me that, it was normal for these dogs to try to assert themselves over their owners, usually near adult hood. Well, he was right. was about to walk my dog one morning when she became extremely aggressive. Barking snapping ETC. I Quickly threw her leash over the the top of the door and pulled her off the ground. She began to choke, cry and whimper. I scolded her at the same time this was happening and the entire scene lasted maybe 30 seconds. She never asserted herself with me or the family again, and ended up being one of our most loyal and beloved pets.

I talked to a few pro trainers and they told me that the action I had taken was not severe, but correct. In essence I became the alpha, and via extension the pooch also listened to my wife and kids.

You do have to be Alpha but this guy doesn't look like much of a trainer. You restrain the dog. You don't do body throws or choke him. You hurt the dog and he may follow your orders out of fear until you really need him.

I've talked to my local Sheriff about this. He's an old friend. He was a K-9 handler at one time and has been sent to the hospital a few times training dogs. You build dominance as you build loyalty.

Guest jackdog

Guess it's like anything else, there are different schools of thought for achieving the same goal. If you listen to the video you can hear someone giving instructions to the handler. Is this the proper training procedure?

Not sure, it may work well or it may not. The gentlemen that taught the dog obedience class when I had the Doperman, was the head instructor for the Chicago PD canine unit. He taught a mutual trust relationship with dog and owner, but also cautioned us that some breeds, would most likely require agressive procerdures at some point in the relationship. Agressive does not equal cruel, is this guy crossing the line? Guess I would have to defer to someone with a lot more experience than myself.

Jackdog, I agree with you (and the guy you talked to).

It's sort of like the horse whisper thing. If you understand the nature of the animal, you don't have to beat it into submission. You might have to be aggressive, but not mean.

In my view, in this video the guy is not hurting the dog. But he doesn't understand the animal either, or he's following the technique of a guy who doesn't know how to train a dog.

You want an animal who follows your commands because it wants to please you, not because it fears mistreatment from you.

Guest GlocKingTN

I was told today, that the trainer/officer is trying to let the K-9 know who is the alpha in their partnership! He isnt doing this to be mean, but to show the dog that he isnt scared of him and that what he says, goes!