Boy Scouts of America close to changing membership requirements

daddyo

I personally am glad that they are considering this.  Although i support their right as an organization to decide what their own entrance rules will be, i also realize that nearly 4 percent of american's identify themselfs as members of the LGBT community.  homosexual children have a significantly higer rate of suicides in the US than any other portion of the population.  Being accepted by a major organization that teaches valuable life skills would be a great thing for many children. 

I don't have a problem with this. People are gay, it's time to move on. It's not like some guy is going to have uncontrollable urges just because he's working around boys.

And much like gun control, I'm sure this policy has not stopped gays from working with scouts already. I'm sure they have been numerous gay scout leaders over the years that remained quiet about it.

I'm glad I was in the pre-gay scouts, and glad that my kids are adults. Sorta changes the 'dynamics' in the old puptent, don't it?

Unless the scout masters are trying to push some "pro gay" agenda on the kids(which I highly doubt) what does it matter?

People with homophobia lose all credibility with me. You just seem ignorant. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I'm glad I was in the pre-gay scouts, and glad that my kids are adults. Sorta changes the 'dynamics' in the old puptent, don't it?

The vast majority of child molesters self identify as heterosexual and have adult relationships with women. In addition, same sex experimentation amongst prepubescent/ pubescent children is quite common.

In other words this will not change or add anything to the "dynamics in the old pup tent" that haven't been there since the beginning of the Scouts.
Guest ThePunisher
[quote name="Erik88" post="898925" timestamp="1359429547"] It's not like some guy is going to have uncontrollable urges just because he's working around boys.[/quote] Yeah, like Sandusky didn't have uncontrollably urges. Parents need to always be aware of those that would prey on their kids.

Just curious, not criticizing. What's your reasoning? Religious, concern for their safety, something else? 

Homophobia, what else?

Just because someone is gay does not make them a child molester.  Thinking that is about the height of ignorance.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 2
Honest question: What's the difference between a gay Boy Scout leader and a straight male Girl Scout leader? Would you send your daughter on an overnight trip with a straight male Girl Scout leader? Edited by Rowdy

Yeah, like Sandusky didn't have uncontrollably urges. Parents need to always be aware of those that would prey on their kids.

Ok. And what exactly would have prevented Sandusky from doing what he did? I guarantee that the current policy of Scouts not allowing gays will not stop some predator from joining. 

We all get pissed when the anti-gun crowd doesn't use logic you but just did the same thing with this topic. Nothing will prevent a predator from harming kids and preventing someone from participating in scouts because they are gay is ridiculous. 

Homophobia:  An extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.  Absolutely NOT!  Its very simple, First, I fear God!  Second, I have a responsiblity as a parent to teach my children right from wrong. 

• Like 4

Its very simple, First, I fear God!  Second, I have a responsiblity as a parent to teach my children right from wrong. 

So, I take it you would say religious reasons then? Fair enough, we can all believe what we choose. 

I don't understand why the BSA is considering this. They have to realize it will drum up lots of opposition. The news report I heard on the radio said they were doing it to try and boost falling enrollment, I didn't think there would be all that many gay folks that wanted to be involved with them. 

So, I take it you would say religious reasons then? Fair enough, we can all believe what we choose. 

I don't understand why the BSA is considering this. They have to realize it will drum up lots of opposition. The news report I heard on the radio said they were doing it to try and boost falling enrollment, I didn't think there would be all that many gay folks that wanted to be involved with them. 

Same here, I imagine this will cause them to lose more than they gain. 

Guest RevScottie
The news report I saw indicated there was a loophole which would leave the final decision up to the local troop. This allows troops that are affiliated with a church to not have to compromise their beliefs.
Guest ThePunisher

Ok. And what exactly would have prevented Sandusky from doing what he did?

A-) The Penn State authorities including Paterno reporting Sandusky instead of sweeping it under the rug.

I guarantee that the current policy of Scouts not allowing gays will not stop some predator from joining. 

A-) But, by condoning the gay agenda and this predator behavior in their organization only increases chances of gay predators molestating innocent children.

We all get pissed when the anti-gun crowd doesn't use logic you but just did the same thing with this topic. Nothing will prevent a predator from harming kids and preventing someone from participating in scouts because they are gay is ridiculous. 

A-) You're thinking like a emotional liberal that sides with gay agenda instead of a logicical heterosexual when you think that being proactive in protecting our most precious innocent children is a useless endeavor. The gay agenda espoused by these child molestors has won you over to their cause, instead of looking out for the innocent children. 

Why is it even an issue on the table for the BSA?  Are they worried that the scouts are going to be boinking each other during the pine box derby tournament?

I mean seriously...How many 10 year olds associate themselves as gay?  Heck - when I was that age all I cared about was burning ants with a magnifying glass.

I understand the phobic thing. It's like liberals and their gun phobias. As I've said many times, I know so many homos well that any phobia went away a long time ago. Just plain old folks. Most aren't near as perverted as some of the women I've dated :)

You've always had gay leaders and members in the Boy Scouts. It's like anywhere else in society. My circle is just a live and let live bunch.

Funny, I was in the boy scouts as a kid and never knew any of the politics of it.  Our Scout leader was a woman which at the time I didn't find strange.

Looking back on it after talking to other former boy scouts, my troop never went on camping trips, built fires, and allot of other stuff and I really think she was the troop master because no one else stepped up and she kind did it for her to boys.  I don't even remember how many badges I obtained but I know I had allot.  

I enjoyed the meetings we had that I remember but I also know I didn't get the full experience.

Just kinda pointing out at least now looking bad I thought it was odd we had a woman troop master, not even sure if that is allowed in their rules or not.

Edited by vontar

The news report I saw indicated there was a loophole which would leave the final decision up to the local troop. This allows troops that are affiliated with a church to not have to compromise their beliefs.

I don't think it's a loophole, I think it's their plan from what I read.  Leave the decision to the local councils, that way the BSA as a whole can wash their hands of it.  What BSA gets to be is the good guy by accepting LGBT Scouts, and allows the chartered organization to discriminate if the chartered organization wants to thus is still being the good guy in some way shape or form. So either way, the Boy Scouts of America wins and is no longer going to be a discriminatory organization, in some weird way.

Would it be better for everyone if they had a Gay BSA separate from the BSA? I'm not homophobic, but i know a lot of parents are uncomfortable having gay children around their children.

Oh, wait they did that with segregation back before my time. I don't think it should matter if a person is gay or not, just because someone is gay dosen't mean they are interested in the straight kids.

When i was in scouts we never had this problem. If there was a problem, it was hid very well.

• Like 1