Police barred from Vermont gun range.

Guest PapaB

Why is it possible for City law to circumvent State laws,I was under the impression that State laws always took precedent over any type of local deals,maybe I am just downright miffed that their are so many ignorant people running our cities and state governments.

Why is it possible for City law to circumvent State laws,I was under the impression that State laws always took precedent over any type of local deals..

Depends if the state law claims preemption or not over the particular area of law.

Just an example in firearms law: in TN they are preempted so that local laws cannot override them, unless grandfathered in before 1986. But it some states they are not, which is how Chicago, NYC,  and other cities can have more restrictive laws than the state ones.

Even in TN where we have firearm law preemption, it does not extend to all weapons. Knives, most prominently. A city or county can ban knives that are allowed under state law because there's no preemption in the state statutes for knives.

- OS

Or in the case of local parks.

Well, yeah, there's the "opt out" ("cop out") option there too, a way of  releasing locals from the preemption of the preemption.

Only in weapons law does TN set all these laws, but then allow them not to be binding under various guises. I guess this is the natural outcome if you start with the unconstitutional basic premise that possessing a loaded gun is illegal.

- OS

• Like 1

Why is it possible for City law to circumvent State laws,I was under the impression that State laws always took precedent over any type of local deals,maybe I am just downright miffed that their are so many ignorant people running our cities and state governments.

In Vermont, if the city passed this, they would then have to get permission from the state to make it legal.

And the only people who will be punished under this law will be law abiding citizens who were unaware they were breaking the law and no intent to break the law or do harm to folks. Way to go lawmakers. Way to go after your citizens while doing nothing to go after actual criminals.

In Vermont, if the city passed this, they would then have to get permission from the state to make it legal.

Was reading that as well, the article also pointed out how difficult transporting a firearm would become if they let all the local municipalities create their own individual laws. I see the individual politicians stance on gun control becoming a huge piece even at the local elections here very soon.

Was reading that as well, the article also pointed out how difficult transporting a firearm would become if they let all the local municipalities create their own individual laws.

Reminds me of park carry in TN.

evidently these terds have no clue about laws that are already on the books... FOPA passed in 1986 (Firearm Owners Protection Act) has a clause in it for the purpose of transporting firearms in non gun friendly areas...

Edited by carter